• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Global Changes

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
X and Y are making promises to change what we know about Pokemon and evolve the games further than ever before. And they are meeting our expectations without breaking a sweat.

There are a large number of changes to Player Interaction as well as general global use.

Starting with the new PSS (Player Search System)

The PSS seems to control everything related to PvP involvement. Using our built in Spot Pass feature, you can pass and friend players you may not even know. With a built in ranking system, every time you pass some one they are slowly moving up your friend ladder for the Pokemon game. This just allows for you to collect Friend Codes at a fairly easy rate. As far as I can tell the rank of the people you pass doesn't seem to effect connectivity.

PSS allows us to do our normal battles and trade, but now it also controls the GTS. We can GTS Trade without needing to go to a Pokemon Center so no more interrupting your gameplay to head back and check on the status.

Another change to GTS is we are no longer required to have seen a Pokemon for it to appear on our list. All of the Pokemon will be made available (unconfirmed but its there in the wording...if not implied.) Making GTS trade searching a little bit easier in terms of completing the Pokedex.

A new trade method has been introduced, Wonder Trade. This is a bit of a gamble. You can put in Pokemon into the wonder trade and random people can trade what ever they want for it. Neither you nor the person you are trading with will know what they are getting. Unfortunately as nice as this is, I don't see it ending very well with the large amount of trolls out there.

Battle Spot seems to replace Random Match Up. Other than that I don't see much difference between the two.

We can now track PGL news from our games thanks to our Holocaster and the news network. No more needing to check a computor if there are any promotions going on. We'll be able to check all of this in game as well as be alerted to special events and news for Pokemon.

Finally, these last two are fairly small but really cool additions. Timeline and Photos. We can use the Timeline to mark events in our game's history and use the Photo addition to take pictures in game at some key points. While both of these are merely novelty trinkets in terms of new features, both seem really cool.

I hope they are going to keep these new features rolling. I want more~

What do you all think about these new connection features.

(I did leave out O Powers on purpose. They are identical if not the same as Pass Powers so I didn't see them as something worth mentioning as of yet.)

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
Although I enjoy the features, I feel like they are focusing too much on them and not all the in-game stuff. They are working so hard on PSS and all of its features, I hope they don't over do it and leave me with nothing to do once I have completed the game.

Last edited:

Rmane7

Mewtwo,the great.
Years
PSS:The new way of worldwide communication.

PSS(Player search system)
This is the newest way of communication in the pokemon games.The always connected function lets players communicate at all times but how does it work?And how will the other features work?

ShiningLust

Gym Leader of Ground Oden
Years
PSS:The new way of worldwide communication.

I'm actually really excited for this now system they are doing

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Hey Rmane7, I merged your thread over here as we already had a discussion for PSS and other global features. Feel free to continue discussion here!

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Gamefreak is definitely becoming better and better with the online capabilities. Remember back in the day, when Diamond/Pearl only allowed you to battle people with Friend Codes? So much advances since then.

Although I enjoy the features, I feel like they are focusing too much on them and not all the in-game stuff. They are working so hard on PSS and all of its features, I hope they don't over do it and leave me with nothing to do once I have completed the game.
I think the reason why it seems like they're not focusing enough on the in-game stuff is because they want to keep it a secret. Aside from the PWT and battle frontiers, a majority of post-storymode events are usually kept secret.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I like these new features. I like the Player Search system because you will have more of a chance to verse trainers around you to see who is the best in your area. the problem is, I don't know many people that use Streetpass so this feature may not be as useful as GameFreak wants. It may be different in other areas, idk.

WonderTrade jsut makes me laugh, this system will get abused soooo much.

I like the PGL system. This will be really helpful on Events, I like how GameFreak is trying to interact with its payers more. This make me happy. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
It is about time they fixed the GTS.
Its frustrating not to be able to look for first generation starter pokemon and such because I haven't seen them in the game.

Also frustrating that so many people are not thinking or just spamming so they can randomly show off their pokemon by asking for level 9 or lower legendary pokemon. I mean no one has a valid level nine mewtwo, to the person who has the shiny butterfry!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I like how they're introducing a system like in Animal Crossing New leaf where you can send messages to your friends through the game. It should make setting up trades and such easier than ever before.

I think making any pokemon available on the GTS makes sense, I mean if you want to you could already set up a trade with someone to give you a pokemon that isn't in your pokedex. This will just streamline the process.

I'm going to try breeding pokemon to put up in the Wonder Trade. If we all do this then it should make some difference.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
the new wonder trade is going 2 fail, i can all ready for c the mess its gonna be with all the dang trollers out, gf should just scrap that ideal before the games released

bleri1200

Bleri
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
WolfMirage, I feel differently about the Wonder Trade feature. It has potential, for example, if you have a Pokemon you want to release you can just Wonder Trade it and get something back. I don't think Game Freak would let you trade level 90 Pokemon and get a level 5 Pokemon in return. They definitely have something planned.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
A system that only trades pokémon with similar levels would be ideal.

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
Another change to GTS is we are no longer required to have seen a Pokemon for it to appear on our list. All of the Pokemon will be made available (unconfirmed but its there in the wording...if not implied.) Making GTS trade searching a little bit easier in terms of completing the Pokedex.
tumblr_inline_mns5zxcR5b1qz4rgp.gif

It's about time.

WolfMirage, I feel differently about the Wonder Trade feature. It has potential, for example, if you have a Pokemon you want to release you can just Wonder Trade it and get something back. I don't think Game Freak would let you trade level 90 Pokemon and get a level 5 Pokemon in return. They definitely have something planned.

I agree, and besides you'd be crazy to put a strong or rare pokemon up for trade via WT if anything can be traded for it. But if there are restrictions such as level then it lessens the risk. Regardless it's still a gamble.

Last edited:

tnfsf11

What excited me most is that I'll be able to trade with strangers around the globe, I don't know if I'll be able to choose the pokes I trade in from strangers so I'm not really sure if completing the dex will be as easy as it looks ~_~.
Wonder Trade seems cool, think of all the possible pokes you can get, even if you get a poke that's available in-game maybe it'll have a good nature ;) though I won't risk putting in legendary pokes unless I don't need them ;)

Back