• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Help

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2012
Hey guys, I currently have a team put together and I'm not sure what adjustments I need to make to it. If anyone could give me their input it would be greatly appreciated.
My team is as follows:

1) Infernape@Muscle Band
Lvl. 100
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Flamethrower
ThunderPunch
Close Combat
Earthquake

2) Gardevoir@Shell Bell
Lvl. 100
Nature: Hardy
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 Sp. Atk.
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball

3) Walrein@Leftovers
Lvl. 100
Nature: Docile
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp. Def./252 Sp. Atk.
Hail
Avalanche
Surf
Toxic

4) Togekiss@???
Lvl. 68
Nature: Hardy
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 52 HP/252 Spd./204 Sp. Atk.
AncientPower
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Flamethrower

5) Weavile@Scope Lens
Lvl. 74
Nature: Bold
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk./252 Sp. Def.
Night Slash
Ice Punch
Aerial Ace
Brick Break

6) Magnezone@Magnet
Lvl. 76
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 52 HP/252 Def/252 Sp. Def.
Thunderbolt
Magnet Rise
Flash Cannon
Lock-On

I'm trying my best to not use legendaries, but if there is one that is a must have for this team, let me know. Any changes I should make would me appreciated!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is this in-game competitive or just competitive in general? And is this a Gen IV team or a Gen V team? This team will be rated assuming it's the latter, and if so, a future post may be made to suit it:

Earthquake is redundant with Infernape's Fighting STAB. Infernape also has a very wide offensive movepool, and it has better coverage moves than EQ and ThunderPunch on both offensive ends. It's also better with a Speed-boosting nature to make the most out of its high Speed:
-Fire Blast/Overheat
-Close Combat
-Grass Knot/U-turn
-Stone Edge/Mach Punch
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Gardevoir is outclassed by Pokemon like Reuniclus and Alakazam due to both having Magic Guard to negate passive damage (from Poison, Burn, hail and sandstorm) and Life Orb recoil. It's true that Gardevoir has utility in Trace, but it's still outclassed by both:

Alakazam:
-Substitute/Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard

Reuniclus:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard

Outside of Hail, Walrein is seriously mediocre, and has a bad defensive typing that doesn't match well with its good bulk. Assuming this is Gen V, use Cloyster instead because of its ability to really sweep with Shell Smash:
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Razor Shell/Hydro Pump
Nature: Jolly/Naive
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: White Herb
Ability: Skill Link

If this is Gen IV, use Swampert instead because of its better defensive typing:
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Surf/Roar/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/52 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Togekiss is well-known for being really annoying with paraflinching coupled with Serene Grace:
-Thunder Wave
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere/Nasty Plot/Substitute
-Roost
Nature: Bold/Calm
EVs: 252 HP/188 Def/68 SDef or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace

Weavile is rather prone to priority (Scizor's Bullet Punch in particular), but at least you have Magnezone to cover for Steels. A Bold nature wastes away Weavile's excellent Attack, and its Defense is extremely bad. Change the EV spread to 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe because firstly, you're not using Weavile's equally good Speed to good effect too. While Weavile's Special Defense is decent, it's still not Weavile's main focus. All Weavile should focus on is hitting things before it gets hit. While Aerial Ace can be used for Heracross, Virizion and Breloom, it doesn't offer much use other than them, so you can use Ice Shard (for priority) or Pursuit (to hit Pokemon switching out) instead. You can also consider Choice Band as Weavile's item.

Lonely wastes away Magnezone's good Defense. Magnezone has little use for Attack as well, unless it's using Explosion. Lock On + Zap Cannon seems tempting, but it wastes time, since you can just hit the opponent with Thunderbolt or a coverage move:
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
-Charge Beam/Flash Cannon
EVs: 36 HP/252 Atk/220 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon

or (in Gen V):
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
-Volt Switch
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

Years
PlatinumDude is right, don't use Earthquake on Infernape cos its Fighting attacks already provide enough coverage.

For Weavile, if you insist on keeping it, try one of these sets:

Jolly nature
Life Orb
Pressure
EVs: 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Def, 252 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard / Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Low Kick

With this set, Ice Punch/Ice Shard and Night Slash serve as your main STAB. Swords Dance can help boost that high Attack stat if you can survive the next hit. Low Kick can help you against heavy opponents. You will need to do a hell lot of breeding to get Ice Punch, Ice Shard can be considered if you need priority since Weavile's strategy is to get the first hit in. Just watch out for Mach Punch users like Conkeldurr and Breloom.

Or try this one if it's more your taste:

Jolly nature
Life Orb / Choice Band
Pressure
EVs: 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Def, 252 Speed
- Pursuit
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch / Night Slash
- Ice Shard

Like as before, you need to breed to get Ice Punch but Night Slash can also be considered for your main STAB. Pursuit can help you hit hard against switching opponents, Low Kick helps you deal with heavy Steels and Ice Shard is for priority. Make sure Weavile's nature is Jolly cos it needs the Speed stat boost and it doesn't invest in special attacks anyway.

Weavile's Pressure ability allows you to eat away at your opponents' PP, eventually crippling them by forcing them to Struggle.

Back