• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Lightning Yellow

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Wow, its getting much better with every version.

Semi off topic: How did you get those map pics on your site (as in, how did you capture the map in such detail)?

On topic: The beginning of your game really needs some grammar and punctuation work. I'm really glad to help out if you want!

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
The map pics are made using a program called MapMaker. Its something someone created using rpg maker xp. I've had it so long now i can't remember where i got it from, though i think i've seen it posted on here somewhere.

As for the beginning, sure you can help

Edit: Thought i'd seen it on here
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=230646

Its gets kinda funny about trainer events though. They need to be completely empty otherwise it errors

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Those new routes look very much like the games, except tile errors, The fence on the left side to the point of end, the fencing continues, whereas the right side does not...

Again on route 14, the right side also continues.

Just looks odd to me... Like how far the game is coming along though. X

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Heres what i have so far for the new style gts
gts-new.png

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Just pointing out the fence looks odd that it has no end part of the fence... Although if you look on the one end it looks perfect... Both ends should match, it's like building a house, you wouldn't build one wall 11feet one side but 10 the other... Hard to explain but the pictures you can see what I mean... I like the new GTS, been following this for a while and it is actually getting better and better with each new update. X

WandererTJ

Mechanical Engineer
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
A few issues I've come across

Background Info: I'm running Windows XP, I saw this a while back but didn't really check it out till just yesterday. I originally installed v0.14, but didn't play it for long before I updated to v0.15. I took the "Patch (v0.15)" file out of the v0.14 folder, deleted v0.14, and extracted v0.15 into it's own folder. From there, I've been playing v0.15 and I've discovered a few problems.

1) I cannot buy anything from PokeMarts. I've made it as far as Pewter City, and neither it's, not Veridian City's PokeMarts work for me. Is there any way we could just spawn pokeballs for use or something? It's going to be pretty hard to Catch 'Em All without being able to buy anything.

2) On the Rival battle that occurs West of Veridian City, in conversation, you're rival refers to you as "Yellow" rather than what you have named yourself.

3) Upon returning Oak's Parcel to him, you are given the conversation: Oak: Oh, (Trainer Name)! How is my old POKEMON?
Well, since we are the ones to catch Pikachu in the beginning, the text for this needs to be modified.

4) Due to Prof. Oak allowing you to use Weedle at the beginning of the game, Weedle shows up in the Pokedex as a Pokemon that you have already caught.

5) This one is a killer, when you enter Veridian Forrest, everything works fine (although I am kind of curious as to why the pathway goes Left and Right when you are going up through the door to head to the forrest), HOWEVER, when you attempt to exit the forrest at the North or South entrance, it forces me to get stuck in a wall. When I exit North, pressing Down then Up allows me to escape and be on my way, but the South exit is completely trapping and glitches for me.

Also, in your post #360 of this thread when you were asking opinions about the battle screen, my suggestion is to make sure that the trainers are always in the center of the disc they are standing on, not off to one side. I like the 2nd image of Pidgeotto where it is in the air. As for option A and B at the bottom, both are fine, if fact, you should use option A for when the user has a larger Pokemon so that things fit better and option B otherwise.
Additionally, I personally do not care for the image I saw for the update where for the user's pokemon healthbars overlapped one another in a 2 vs. 2 battle. Spread out the screen more, such as the circular pads that the pokemon stand upon. This will help Pokemon Overlapping issues.

I messed around with a photo in Paint, it looks very crude, but the reason I made it was to get a point across of how you could spread things out so that they would still look good. Primarily what I did, was spread out the base that the pokemon are on and move them closer to the middle. I will try to post it again at a later date. To view the photo, please copy the link below and remove the spaces in it and replace the DOT's with a (.)
http: // i296 DOT photobucket DOT com/albums/mm193/WandererTJ/new-size-double-battle-close2 DOT png

On another note, I was hoping 1) that the controls could be listed not only at the game's start, but also in the save select screen, or even in a Read Me when you download the game. Also, 2) could you add more to the in-game options such as skipping animations or allowing to skip/speed up text.

Is it possible to increase the screen size at all? It's pretty small on my screen, and while full screen would be a bit too much, I'd at least like to double what it is now.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
gts is being a bit of a pain, for some reason its failing to save after a certain point and wreaking the save file.
I think i've managed to solve it though, after running tests for several hours

WandererTJ
1. Do the marts act as though they've given you the items? Does it just happen with pokeballs or do all items do it?
I can't replicate this with my version

2. Thanks, thats updated in the next version

3. I noticed this and has been sorted for the next version

4. Thats somewhat deliberate

5. Those errors are fixed in the next version.

As for the overlapping health bars, that has been sorted out.
Moving the bases aren't easy, i had a nightmare just getting them where they are now.

Screen size can't be increased. It would cause huge wasted space.
The screensize has double since the project originally began

WandererTJ

Mechanical Engineer
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
To answer your question about the Pokemarts, I can enter them, but my character cannot communicate with the person behind the counter no matter what I try. No window or dialogue ever comes up.
I have picked up the Town Map from Gary's sister, and some potions and a pokeball in Veridian Forrest, all of which show up in my inventory. So I believe it is not an item or inventory glitch, but rather the person behind the counter.

On the other hand, as far as I know, the Pokemon Center and everything in it works as expected, I can heal pokemon, and I even picked up a Mew. Professor Oak's assistant seems to be useless though, as he only introduces himself.

As another thing I have found, which I'm sure you may know about, when attempting to communicate with Professor Oak, he asks if I would like my Pokedex rated, and regardless of whether or not I say Yes or No, he immediately then asks if I would like to rest my pokemon. I know I only have 2 pokemon, he could at least tell me that I suck at the game haha.

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
i know why its happened. its fixed in the latest version, which should hopefully be tomorrow now that the gts stuff is sorted

WandererTJ

Mechanical Engineer
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
I wasn't expecting you to respond so quickly.
I edited my last post, and in case you didn't notice the edit, what I said was:
"As another thing I have found, which I'm sure you may know about, when attempting to communicate with Professor Oak, he asks if I would like my Pokedex rated, and regardless of whether or not I say Yes or No, he immediately then asks if I would like to rest my pokemon. I know I only have 2 pokemon, he could at least tell me that I suck at the game haha."

Anyways, I'm glad to hear that the next version will be coming out tomorrow. I've already performed one update, but I didn't care about my save at the time. Would you care to explain how to update the game in which I can transfer my save over to the new version?

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Unfortunately due to me updating some parts of essentials the save files are no longer compatible and I've not found any way around this.

Mew is the current giveaway via mystery gift.

The oaks assistant only does something if you have more than 10 pokemon.

I'm hoping the next version will come out tomorrow. I usually have issues getting it to encrypt

Speaking to oak is sorted

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2012
Some things tat might great to add would maybe hav a prof. aid give u like 5 pokeballs at the start of the game, i think the original did that. also i saw on ur screenshot pokebattles that the background was fluid but on mine there its like the background wasn't big enough and started to replay the background. hmmmm its difficult to say. keep up the good work :D, and since this is fan made maybe u could take out the traded pokemon not listening/gaining extra exp. wanted to use mew against brock but it stopped listening:(

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
As far as i'm aware the original game didn't give out pokeballs, though i might be mistaken, i've not played it from the start for a while

I'm trying to keep it as close to the original, and all games have the stop listening bit in them so i'm going to keep it in.

WandererTJ

Mechanical Engineer
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
Another thing that I want to add, I think the guy that stands at the front of all the gyms is suppose to say more than just "Hello". In Brock's gym I think he introduced you to what gym battles were. Not completely sure though. Are you still expecting to put out the next update today?
Since you stated that due to certain updates making it impossible to keep our saves going, would it be possible to make the save an external file to the main game. That may solve the issue by having the game write a separate file. That way it would be much easier to just copy over, however, if you intended to do that, perhaps you would already have it that way. It would be really nice to be able to play on multiple saves though.

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2022
I'm having a problem with the updater. It stopped updating due to "Lost connection" or something like that, and now i can't get rid of it. That error message wont go away so I'm unable to close it. What should I do?

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
WandererTJ
The save files are already external. All updates use the same save file. The problem is with the latest update theres changes to the way the save files are done, making previous ones incompatible since information that the new version wants is missing.
The save files are usually stored in C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\Pokemon Lightning Yellow

The next update is actually uploading and should be finished in about 15-20 minutes

tb_dude
You could try closing it using task manager

WandererTJ

Mechanical Engineer
Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
I don't have access to that pathway since I am using Windows XP, and thus I can't find where my saved game file is. Is there a way to chance the the directory in which the RGSS Player saves to?
I've been looking all through the different users under Documents and Settings, and within Application Data under each, but I can't find anything.

Back