• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Custom Animation Backgrounds

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
So, with the help of Chaos Rush's thread I managed to extend the battle animation background. That means I can insert custom Backgrounds with their custom palletes and custom tilemaps.

So here's what we need:
1. FireRed Rom
2. Hex Editor (I'll be using HxD)
3. Notepad
4. Custom Background (Background must be divisible by 8 and indexed), and Tilemap.
5. VBA
6. Free Space Finder (Optional if you know how to things right)
7. NTME/DARTHTME
8. UNLZ

Ok, so first let's get it down with the table offsets.

The table starts at 0x3ADE18, and ends at 0x3ADF5B. The table are all pointers so we'll just to have put pointers for our image, pallete, and tilemap. It goes like this.

[XX XX XX 08] [YY YY YY 08] [ZZ ZZ ZZ 08]
XX = pointer to graphics
YY = pointer to palette
ZZ = pointer to tilemap

A small tutorial about pointers
Spoiler:

So let's get it down to extending it.

Step 1) Open your FireRed Rom in a Hex Editor
Spoiler:

Step 2) Goto offset 0x3ADE18
Spoiler:

Step 3) Find some free-space that can hold 0x144 bytes so to make things easier I'll be using 0xA00000. So goto 0xA00000.
Spoiler:

Step 4) Repointing the location of our table.
Spoiler:

Ok, so originally there are 0x1A or 26 backgrounds in the game. So with that small amount we can insert many custom backgrounds as we want.

Step 5) So now we'll be inserting our new background. So for it to be easy I'm gonna use the Waterfall Animation in DP. I'll be putting out a download link for the Waterfall so you can try it out.
Spoiler:

Step 6) Now will be placing the new pointers in our table.
Spoiler:

Step 7) Testing time
Spoiler:

Credits:
Chaos Rush
Jambo51
Itman
Hackmew
Darthatron
D-Throgh