• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old collector coming back

Years
Hi guys,

I am now 20 and used to collect cards when I was really young and I don't know where they have gone. I have just a few questions.

1) I am watching 3 folders that will hold just over 330 cards for about £13 on eBay, is it worth it?
2) How would I do the collecting, like should I open first folder and do 1 as Bulbasaur then move onto Cyndaquill etc then Mudkip etc etc?
3) Anyone know a decent place to get cards nower days?
4) In releation to question 2 is there a Pokedex anywhere where I can view all Pokemon in order as I don't know the new ones at all.

Years
For item 1: Are they Pokemon-branded ones, or just ones with the pages built in? I personally go the budget buy a pack of 35 9-card pages for $5 and then buy 5 1" wide 3 ring binders for $5 total, having enough storage for 315 cards if you're putting only 1 card in each slot, and enough storage for 630 if you're stuffing 2 in each slot for less than $10 USD.

For item 2: Are you looking for just sets of individual Pokemon or are you looking to group cards from the same set together? If it's the former, do however you want, for the latter, you'd want to go by collector's number order (the collector's number is the number at the bottom right-hand corner of the card).

For item 3: Try a local hobby shop, game store, or a big-box retailer like Wal-Mart.

4. http://www.pokemon.com/uk/pokedex/

Years
For item 1: Are they Pokemon-branded ones, or just ones with the pages built in? I personally go the budget buy a pack of 35 9-card pages for $5 and then buy 5 1" wide 3 ring binders for $5 total, having enough storage for 315 cards if you're putting only 1 card in each slot, and enough storage for 630 if you're stuffing 2 in each slot for less than $10 USD.

For item 2: Are you looking for just sets of individual Pokemon or are you looking to group cards from the same set together? If it's the former, do however you want, for the latter, you'd want to go by collector's number order (the collector's number is the number at the bottom right-hand corner of the card).

For item 3: Try a local hobby shop, game store, or a big-box retailer like Wal-Mart.

4. http://www.pokemon.com/uk/pokedex/

donavannj -
Hey dude, I took your advice and I got my own ring binder and refills, think I've got enough to cover me for around 650 cards.. which is good as I went on eBay last night and spent around £50 on cards and I'm expecting around 669 now I know most of them would be duplicates but I honestly don't know what I will recieve and thanks for the Pokedex dude.

Edit - forgot to say as well as I now have a Pokedex link I will try stuff every single card in the ringer binder in Pokemon order.

Years
Do keep in mind that each Pokemon can have multiple different cards. So at some point you'll want to consider dedicating entire pages or groups of pages to certain Pokemon if you sort them by Pokedex order.
When you say different cards I presume you mean for example Charmander could have 5 different pictures and Bulbsaur could have 7 sorta thing?

Years
Something along those lines, yes. The best bet at telling how they are different cards is the collector's number in the lower right-hand corner of the card next to the rarity symbol.
So on my Skarmory it says 97/144. Does that mean there's 144 Skamory card pictures?

Years
No that means there are 144 different cards in the particular set that Skarmory is from. Though that collector's number total lies for a lot of sets because there are "secret" rare cards printed as part of a lot of sets that have a collector's number where the first number is higher than the second number.

Years
No that means there are 144 different cards in the particular set that Skarmory is from. Though that collector's number total lies for a lot of sets because there are "secret" rare cards printed as part of a lot of sets that have a collector's number where the first number is higher than the second number.
Think I've got the hang of that bit, so my Snubbull has 101/144 which means it's card 101 out of the set where there's 144 cards total in that set? I'm still struggling to find a site where I can get all of the picture for each Pokemon so I know what ones I still need to find it's quite annoying trying to find one now haha:(

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
For each Pokemon, or even just looking at each set, you can get a lot of resources from Bulbapedia. They have a list by National Pokedex, and then they have pages for each card set. Pokebeach is a good resource for card scans if you want a quick view of every card in a given set.

Years
For each Pokemon, or even just looking at each set, you can get a lot of resources from Bulbapedia. They have a list by National Pokedex, and then they have pages for each card set. Pokebeach is a good resource for card scans if you want a quick view of every card in a given set.
I completly forgot about Bulbpedia! Thanks for the reminder, I have been on it and I've typed in the Pokemon name for example Pikachu TCG and it comes up saying there's 65 cards for Pikachu, I persume that is including Jap cards too.

Years
I completly forgot about Bulbpedia! Thanks for the reminder, I have been on it and I've typed in the Pokemon name for example Pikachu TCG and it comes up saying there's 65 cards for Pikachu, I persume that is including Jap cards too.

Not quite. It's 65 known non-reprint Japanese cards. On Bulbapedia, an English printing of a card shares an article page with its Japanese card counterpart as well as any reprints of both cards. A lot of the reprints of cards have different art and come in a different set, so there's probably upwards of 75 different Pikachu prints in existence in Japanese alone, and probably 50 to 60 different English Pikachu prints.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Yeah, Pikachu is a popular Pokemon. So It probably has the highest number of cards printed of it. Sadly, Raichu get's no love, but that's going off topic, lol.

Most of the sets for many of those cards are now out of print now. So if you're collecting based on dex number, you should look more at the BW series, maybe even DP, Platinum, or HS series sets, since those are still somewhat findable, especially at places that sell tins.

Back