• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[FR] Expanding the Pokedex

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Very nice tutorial. Might give it a try someday when I work up the courage! LOL

I'm surprised someone hasn't created a tool for this yet though, that does all this for us, as well as a tool fort adding extra Pokémon and types to the games so we don't have to go through and fiddle with all the hex code manually ourselves.

Would be nice to have a tool where we can just import an image for the new type, define a name, type weaknesses and strengths, and everything else a type needs, and then the tool to auto-find free space in the rom and add the newly made type(s) in.

Same for adding Pokémon and expanding the Pokédex.

Or would such tools be too difficult to make?

Don't pay any attention to me LOL I'm just dreaming aloud {XD}

Under our influence, Karatekid552's gen 3 hacking suite does this now. Also, adding a type is so easy, just import the image and edit the type effectiveness chart. But Eggs will use the type as of now so..

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Under our influence, Karatekid552's gen 3 hacking suite does this now. Also, adding a type is so easy, just import the image and edit the type effectiveness chart. But Eggs will use the type as of now so..

Under your influence??? Well, I guess so:P As soon as I saw this tut, I just had to start coding, lol.

I do like the idea of expanding types in my tool also. Only, if I am going to do it, I need a clean way to do it on RSE without breaking contests.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 25, 2017
What a gem of a program that is :)

I like the fact that the program searches for free space, so one doesn't have to do so manually.

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
So, I think we should stop discussing my tool on this thread. This thread is for this tutorial, which my tool directly followed, so that was the only reason I brought it up. Now we should get back on topic. Okay guys?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really looking to expand the total amount of Pokémon in the game in general, though, but rather to raise the number of entries in the Kanto Pokédex to something above 151.

Is there a tool that does this?

GoGoJJTech

Years
I'm not really looking to expand the total amount of Pokémon in the game in general, though, but rather to raise the number of entries in the Kanto Pokédex to something above 151.

Is there a tool that does this?

There's no tool, but it's a simple byte edit. I forget where, but if you search on the forums you'll find it.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Just curious... Anyone who has expanded these entries have a broken 'Trader ADvanced'? I would like to edit this trades but since the expansion, all my back ups have this tool broken.

GoGoJJTech

Years
Just curious... Anyone who has expanded these entries have a broken 'Trader ADvanced'? I would like to edit this trades but since the expansion, all my back ups have this tool broken.

I've never used it, but I think by what you said that the tool limits at chimecho.

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2023
Oh well, I ran into quite a few problems, first of all I'm trying to port this to emerald, so I guess that's just one reason why I have so many issues, anyways I thought you might be able to help me out(Since I can't directly contact the autor :T)

I repointed everything until I reached the Pokédex and allocated enough memory, I also relocated some globalVars which the dex is apparently using which would otherwise conflict with the new pkmn data, now after deoxys I have a few strange random entries, those are mainly unknowns(I mean entry 0); Those go up to 412, and then my entries start. I also don't know how exactly the ordering table works(Seriously, this thing confuses me); Here are the revelant entries of my list, I tried a few things so this might be far from correct, maybe you can help me out:

66 01 (Last entry in normal Dex) BE 05 BF 05 C0 05 C1 05 C2 05 C3 05 C4 05 C5 05 C6 05 C7 05 C8 05 C9 05 CA 05 CB 05 CC 05 CD 05 CE 05 CF 05 D0 05 D1 05 D2 05 D3 05 D4 05 D5 05 D6 05 D7 05 D8 05 D9 05(With those I tried to skip the strange thingies in my dex) B9 01 BA 01 BB 01 BC 01 BD 01 BE 01 BF 01 C0 01 C1 01 (My new entries beginning with 441d)

I don't know whats wrong, maybe its just that emerald has a completely different structure, that's what I noticed when reallocating the memory at least.

Thanks in advance!

~SBird

Years
Oh well, I ran into quite a few problems, first of all I'm trying to port this to emerald, so I guess that's just one reason why I have so many issues, anyways I thought you might be able to help me out(Since I can't directly contact the autor :T)

I repointed everything until I reached the Pokédex and allocated enough memory, I also relocated some globalVars which the dex is apparently using which would otherwise conflict with the new pkmn data, now after deoxys I have a few strange random entries, those are mainly unknowns(I mean entry 0); Those go up to 412, and then my entries start. I also don't know how exactly the ordering table works(Seriously, this thing confuses me); Here are the revelant entries of my list, I tried a few things so this might be far from correct, maybe you can help me out:

66 01 (Last entry in normal Dex) BE 05 BF 05 C0 05 C1 05 C2 05 C3 05 C4 05 C5 05 C6 05 C7 05 C8 05 C9 05 CA 05 CB 05 CC 05 CD 05 CE 05 CF 05 D0 05 D1 05 D2 05 D3 05 D4 05 D5 05 D6 05 D7 05 D8 05 D9 05(With those I tried to skip the strange thingies in my dex) B9 01 BA 01 BB 01 BC 01 BD 01 BE 01 BF 01 C0 01 C1 01 (My new entries beginning with 441d)

I don't know whats wrong, maybe its just that emerald has a completely different structure, that's what I noticed when reallocating the memory at least.

Thanks in advance!

~SBird

I'm working on Pokemon Fire Red (French) but I still think I can help you. I think you put "00 00" offset 0x6D3E0 (for Emerald English) instead of putting the offset 0x6D42C.

Years
Can you make an version of this Tutorial for Pokemon RSE?

Logically, the principle is the same view as FireRed and R/S/E have a common basis.
It just enough to find the different offsets.
After the question is whether one can easily adapt the JPAN Save Block on Emerald because there the RAMs these two versions are not very similar. Tomorrow, if I have time, maybe I will find offset the Emerald and the "JPAN Save Block Emerald".

EDIT : Oh, and I've forget the small changes by ASM.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

Years
Logically, the principle is the same view as FireRed and R/S/E have a common basis.
It just enough to find the different offsets.
After the question is whether one can easily adapt the JPAN Save Block on Emerald because there the RAMs these two versions are not very similar. Tomorrow, if I have time, maybe I will find offset the Emerald and the "JPAN Save Block Emerald".

EDIT : Oh, and I've forget the small changes by ASM.

Doing it for RS will be exceedingly difficult due to the lack of good asm for RS (Gamefreak wasn't used to the gba's code by the time)
It will require some extreme research, since RS and Em are in NO way the same

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
I'm just curious, would porting this to Emerald be easier or harder, assuming you did the same amount of research? The pokedex for Firered was different after all, with habitats and everything, whereas Emerald was just a straight list of Pokemon.

GoGoJJTech

Years
I'm just curious, would porting this to Emerald be easier or harder, assuming you did the same amount of research? The pokedex for Firered was different after all, with habitats and everything, whereas Emerald was just a straight list of Pokemon.

Emerald might be about 10% harder. Why? Cuz it's not as researched as FR. Even if it was, you'd have to debug all of the loading routines (sprites, icons, cries, everything you have to repoint) to remove limiters and find the malloc (assuming there is a malloc)
Then you'd have to research the dex, because its loading and storing is most likely 100% different from Fire Red's. Ruby would just take years because it's so unorganized.

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
I just want to add that this took months to accomplish even with years of research to start on. So take that and go into an almost completely unresearched rom (in this area at least) and it will take a while, a long while.

Back