• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Main Series: Do you plan your team?

To what extent do you plan your team?

• All 6 members

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • A few of them (<5)

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • None / just the starter.

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I plan a few members of my team in regard to the gym leaders. If, say, a Bug-type gym is second to battle, then I'd capture the regular Normal/Flying type in the nearest route. If the first gym is a Rock-type or something similar, then I'll pick the grass or fire type starter.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Every game ever.

My team is based solely on the challenges from the beginning of the game to the end of the game. Primarily on Gyms and the E4 and Champion to come.

I've explained this in other threads.

EX. I chose my starter, Squirtle, to make it easy for me to beat Brock.

EX. 2 I chose Mudkip in Hoenn as a way to due a way with an obvious toughy known as Watson.

EX. 3 Piplup in Sinnoh to do away with Roark, his father and numerous other trainers with ease.

In terms of non-starters.

Kanto I chose Pikachu (Misty), Pidgey (Erika and Koga) etc.

Sinnoh I choose Starly (Gardenia) and Geodude (Volkner)

You see the pattern? To put it in the simplest terms:

I plan my team according to Gym Leaders and the eventual Elite Four and Champion. (but I said that earlier :3)

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I plan most of my team in advance, so I can make sure that I'll at least have a solid team by certain gyms, that there aren't too many common weaknesses etc. I tend to however leave the last slot open and see what the game throws at me, usually because I can't think of my last addition or I just feel like trying out a few new Pokemon. But generally for all of my games- I plan my starter, the elemental types fire, water, grass, electric, flying... and then leave the last slot open for some sort of dark/poison/uncommon Pokemon.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I usually pick a random starter based on my ID's last digit. Other than that I might decide what types, rather than Pokemon I want on my team.

I'm still on my first playthrough of White 1 and there's a million pokemon I want to pick for it! I was about ready to take on the E4 when I decided I wanted Deino, Braviary, a Zen mode Darmanitan, a Haxorus, a Seismitoad and I also have a Mienfoo for some strange reason... Now I have to EV train them all, which is sucky because at this rate I'll never get it done.

I prefer not to plan it until I've gotten my bearings in the game, that said when I don't plan I have some strange choices. In a GSC randomized playthrough I ended up with a Gloom, which was terrible. And in RBY I ended up with a Weepinbell, which was also terrible....

And then there's the Nuzlocke, which kinda takes the planning thing out of it...

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
I just got back into Pokemon and somewhat planned my team, followed the official strategy guide. They tell you to build a team around your starter for which I chose Snivy so I picked up Panpour to defend against Fire and a Sandile to defend against Electric. They give three adventure info's inside the guide for a Scrafty and Swoobat for the later battles in the game and a Patrat for catching Pokemon. So yes, I followed it to the point for Pokemon White Version, but won't for Pokemon White Version 2.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I usually planing which one will I choose as my starter Pokemon, and also planning a bird and water Pokemon to do HMs Fly and Surf.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I like to mix it up when I start a new game. I generally pick a type I want on my team, then I think of the most balanced pokemon I can get from that type ingame as soon as possible, and catch it.

I do this in pretty much every game, but It's usually never the same pokemon.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I normally plan my first three of four Pokemon, then pick new ones up as I go towards the end. Then I'll hopefully have a powerful balanced team by the time I get to the Elite four and the champion. This strategy normally works well. :)

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Yeah. Basically, i just randomize what pokemon i'd use in this run. From a "NFE flying team" to "bug team" to "pokemon-i've-never-used team". I'm not really getting into starters until end-game, where i begin planning for their competitive battle's use. They end up there mostly anyways.

Years
If I'm starting a new title, such as FireRed (which, yes, I have never played), I tend to just play it through without looking at a guide (unless I'm truly, truly stuck). Then the second time around, I plan out almost my entire team with the knowledge I've gained from the previous playthrough.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yes, I do plan my teams. Not as strictly as I used to, though. When I was younger, I would write down every detail about the team I wanted. I think I may still have some sheets lying around. But yeah, I planned not only the team itself, but the moves, names, abilities, and even going as far to be picky with the gender. At least I didn't add nature into that mix, ugh. Nowadays, it's just the team. Sometimes I go through and plan out movesets, but not as strictly as back then.

Edit: Forgot to mention I used gel pens in coordination with what type that Pokemon was. Yeeeah.

Last edited:
Years
Yes, everything. Sometimes it takes me hours, or even a couple of days because I play these games more than once and want a little variety :P. I just started a new game on a HeartGold mod (SacredGold by Drayano), but not before over 5 hours of prep.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I plan a few, usually three or four. I always try to get a fire, grass, water and electric but then after that it's usually whatever is cute and/or necessary.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I always have some kind of idea of what I want my team to be. I like to write out an ideal team list. But... it usually never turns out the same way. Most of the time, I get attached to a pokemon I've caught that wasn't supposed to be on my team. Other times, I catch the pokemon I wanted on my team, but, for whatever reason, it doesn't feel right so I don't stick with it. I don't think there has been one time when I planned out a team and it ended up the way it was supposed to be.

Years
I rarely if ever plan my Pokemon team. I discovered along time ago that if you train just one pokemon throughout any of the exsisting games, you can, and probably will beable to beat it. So I pick one Pokemon to train, and have 5 others with Pick Up. Then once I've beaten the League I'll go about and start focusing on more constructive teams with alot of Rare Candies and PP-Ups.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
I rarely if ever plan my Pokemon team. I discovered along time ago that if you train just one pokemon throughout any of the exsisting games, you can, and probably will beable to beat it. So I pick one Pokemon to train, and have 5 others with Pick Up. Then once I've beaten the League I'll go about and start focusing on more constructive teams with alot of Rare Candies and PP-Ups.

Lol, that's new to me, sort of funny.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I never really plan out my team beforehand. In certain games I'm already sure of which starter I want to choose, but that's not really as much planning as it is preference, however I always plan to catch the starter bird unless I'm doing some kind of challenge, so I guess that's the furthest my planning goes. Otherwise I just go on with the games and catch whatever falls in my interest and that I want to use on my team.

Very few times have I actually planned out a team beforehand, and I guess one of those would be with my most recent character on PokeMMO, where I caught several Pokemon that weren't accessible until after the E4 (Houndour, Mareep and Teddiursa if anyone was interested :p), traded them over to my new character, and just went on with the game. I'd already planned to catch a Pidgey and a Mankey, and I never got a sixth member. I didn't start using them until I'd finished the second gym though, since most of them were close to or over level 20, and I wanted to make sure I was far enough ahead with badges so they didn't just start ignoring me at some point, so I was only using Mankey and my Charmander for a while, which was gonna be replaced by Houndour afterwards :p But yeah, that's pretty much the only one I can remember.

Years
I usually plain the pokemon for the quest.

In the first playtrough i tend to check on webpages or forums where are the best pokemon for the in -game, and based on that i choose the most of them.

In the games previous to the 5 gen, i choose in this way:

First pokemon: Better starter or more cool design for me :P (Usually choose the water type)

Second pokemon: A pokemon with pick up ability. This is a must for my games since third generation, i love the idea that my pokemon pick up random items while we travel.

Third pokemon: I always try to have at least one pokemon that can fly to travel fast between towns.

Fourth - Five: Pokemon that can cover my other members, usually i choose one poweful psychich, or a pysichal pokemon.

Six: Temporary and trough the game I tend to use a HM slave for the HM more useless like cut. But when i'm in front of the elite four, i change this pokemon for other that full my expectations.

In the most of the cases, my selection is influence by Appeal of the pokemon, type and powers =)

Back