• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Selling Everything (PG-13)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Author's Note: Written in response to not only a 50 Passages prompt ("I will tell you what I know, and leave the reward to you. You may be glad to grant it, when you have heard me.") but also the one guy in Cerulean City's Pokemon Center who says Bill's not above anything when it comes to getting rare Pokemon. Posted because I said I would in the FFL. Rated for implied prostitution and sexual innuendoes. Whee!

The meeting place was hardly his sort of setting, but the woman insisted. So, unable to deny her, he found himself seated at a table in the back corner of a dimly lit bar on the bad side of Cerulean City. The scent of alcohol and cheap perfume permeated in the air, and his thoughts were almost completely drowned by the hum of strangers' voices and the din of a horse race playing on the television sets suspended in metal boxes above the bar itself.

She uncrossed her legs – long, dark things that rubbed against his like satin on sandpaper. With slender fingers, she plucked a cherry (the color of her tight cocktail dress and her full lips) from her drink and placed it in her mouth. She held the stem between her venom-red lips and her milk-white teeth just long enough to make it obvious that she was playing with him. Across the table, he swallowed, pushing down his conscience as he stared at the glass of water in front of him.

"So, Bill," she said. "You want to know the location of Entei, yes?"

He looked up briefly to take in the sight of her smooth, mocha-colored skin, her long, dark hair, and her intense, black eyes. Swallowing again, he looked at his water and nodded. His mind harshly reminded him that this arrangement was only part of his job and that nothing more should be thought of it.

"Well, then," she said with a slight frown, "I will tell you what I know and leave the reward up to you. You may be glad to grant it when you've heard me, though. Very glad."

He glanced at her with interest. She smiled and leaned a bit over the table, just enough to tilt her chest towards him. A blush colored his cheeks as he saw a bit of her cleavage. The light feather-touch of her fingertips gently caressed the back of one of his hands.

"My sources tell me," she said, "that it was spotted just yesterday in central Johto, just south of Ecruteak City."

Struggling to find his voice, Bill responded, "I-is that so?"

A smile crossed her lips, exposing her white teeth like a predator to its prey. "Yes."

"How do I know you're telling the truth?"

With the hand opposite the one on Bill's, the woman reached down her dress to the first knuckle. Bill, watching her, allowed his eyes to widen as his blood pooled in his lap. She drew a piece of paper from the dark space between her breasts and tossed it to a spot on the table in front of her client. With a shaking hand, he unfolded the paper and looked at what was printed on it. His wide-eyed glance rose to the woman's face as she continued to grin like the Cheshire Cat at him.

"Your payment?" she asked.

At first, Bill could only open and close his mouth soundlessly. Then, pushing down the shock of the information he held, he nodded.

"I… I'm willing to pay whatever price you name," he said.

"Are you certain?"

Slowly, he nodded. She smiled and moved her hand completely over his. Beneath the table, he felt her legs rub against his calves and was reminded of an ekans slowly entwining a pidgey.

"Excellent," she said.

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
Years
Heh, very good. One-shots like this that expound on little things from the games always amuse me. When he says anything...

The meeting place was hardly his sort of setting, but the woman insisted. So, unable to deny her, he found himself seated at a table in the back corner of a dimly lit bar on the bad side of Cerulean City. The scent of alcohol and cheap perfume permeated in the air, and his thoughts were almost completely drowned by the hum of strangers' voices and the din of a horse race playing on the television sets suspended in metal boxes above the bar itself.

I love how you include the bar smells, too. It's obviously not enough to leave that out, of course. XD

Bill, watching her, allowed his eyes to widen as his blood pooled in his lap.

Erm...did I miss something? I didn't see anything about his blood before, and it seemed to vanish afterward...

"Are you certain?"

Slowly, he nodded. She smiled and moved her hand completely over his. Beneath the table, he felt her legs rub against his calves and was reminded of an ekans slowly entwining a pidgey.

"Excellent," she said.

That's an image I won't be getting out of my head for a while.

Oh, and when I first saw the title I thought it was Bay's fic. XD

All in all, very nice one-shot. Although I seriously doubt nice is the right word...

Bay

Years

XD;

No other comment on that. ^^;

Anyways, to the review. I say this is quite an interesting concept. Bill willing to do that just to find a rare Pokemon? Hm...

Another thing I like is how you set the tone. This one shot has this gritty kind of feel, like those old time noir flims, only a bit more mature per say. Like it quite alike for some reason. ^^

The only thing is what duncan said about the pool of blood thing. Not sure where that came from. O.o

In short, quite enjoy this short piece. ^^

txteclipse

The Last
Years
The only thing is what duncan said about the pool of blood thing. Not sure where that came from. O.o

Oh lord, how to put this. Umm...it's a euphemism for something you wouldn't want to describe outright.

This was...interesting. If this has more chapters, I think hilarity will occur between what we think is going to happen and what actually happens. If it's a one-shot, then I'm afraid my mind is too powerful a visualizer to remain in this thread much lon *abruptly leaves*

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Heh, very good. One-shots like this that expound on little things from the games always amuse me.

Thank you. And I agree. I love 'em too, especially when people take the tiniest details and carry them straight into WTFville. (I still remember reading Dragonfree's fanfiction about Imprison.)

I love how you include the bar smells, too. It's obviously not enough to leave that out, of course. XD

Thanks. Anything to heap on ambiance. =D

That's an image I won't be getting out of my head for a while.

Woot! Everyone should be thinking of poor little pidgeys dying, I think. *thumbs up*

*whispering loudly* This is the secret sequel to her fic. Shh!

Anyways, to the review. I say this is quite an interesting concept. Bill willing to do that just to find a rare Pokemon? Hm...

The FrLg games definitely made him sound dirtier either way. XD The NPC in question almost emphasized that new addition to his dialogue, and never mind the part about Celio (who is totally and completely gay for Bill, I'm sure -- and who Bill considers a "buddy" with whom he spends a lot of time "doing nothing" with after spending "no time at all" fixing the Network Machine). It's just a matter, then, of trying to restrain the giggles while playing through to see all of the changes.

Another thing I like is how you set the tone. This one shot has this gritty kind of feel, like those old time noir flims, only a bit more mature per say. Like it quite alike for some reason. ^^

Thank you. =D

Oh lord, how to put this. Umm...it's a euphemism for something you wouldn't want to describe outright.

Exactly.

Or to put another way, "It's an indication that Bill is perfectly straight." Badum-cha!

(Oh, one of these days, I'm going to get booted for making no effort to keep things G-rated.)

This was...interesting. If this has more chapters, I think hilarity will occur between what we think is going to happen and what actually happens. If it's a one-shot, then I'm afraid my mind is too powerful a visualizer to remain in this thread much lon *abruptly leaves*

On the serious side: Huh. That's weird. Usually, I mention something being a one-shot when I post it, but for some reason, I forgot to for this one. O_o I guess it's obvious, but on the other hand, sometimes, you get that odd reviewer who attempts a "lol cant wait to see more."

Ah well.

On the not-so-serious side: Okay, but I'm keeping the money you paid as an entry fee. No refunds!

And all Bill sold himself for was backrubs. Perfectly innocent backrubs! With the woman's clothing still on!

That aside, thanks for both the review and explaining that the blood thing is a euphemism. =D

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
What's a eu-phe-mism?
Ehehehe...
Baackrubs eh? That made my head spin. @.@
Anyway, that was...interesting... Another awesome Bill fic.
was reminded of an ekans slowly entwining a pidgey.
Now I'm not sure if this is the right Bill. Is he a Pidgey?
I'm joking.

But, it's really cool!

I wonder if I should be reading this at all...

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
I don't think its bad that you be reading this fic as long as you can be mature about it. The first movie i ever watched was The Green Berets with John Wayne, and i gotta admit that was pretty graphic for being an old movie.

Btw gr8 fic JM! X]

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
What's a eu-phe-mism?
Ehehehe...

Friendly things that only mean what they say. *sage nod*

Anyway, that was...interesting... Another awesome Bill fic.

Thanks. I try.

Now I'm not sure if this is the right Bill. Is he a Pidgey?

...He may have been at one point. You know how he gets sometimes. XD

But, it's really cool!

Thanks.

I wonder if I should be reading this at all...

Absolutely. I've got to corrupt someone.

I don't think its bad that you be reading this fic as long as you can be mature about it.

And don't tell your parents that you read about a character whoring himself out.

Btw gr8 fic JM! X]

Thanks!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Jaxeh! That was spiffy. :D

I love how you described the bar and the prostitution and the prostitute herself. xD

Although when reading the end(I'm talking about the Ekans-Pidgey thing) I thought it said something else. :x And there, I'm going to shut up.

-Silver

Edit: The video and song for Beast and the Harlot came to mind while reading this. The idea of corruption, which is what the video's based upon. Now I have to get it out of my head. It's stuck...and so's the video.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
You definitely described her well. The seductive-ness was obvious.
In reading this I didn't know it was a one-shot(must have missed something - I do that a lot).
I really liked the precise quality of your writing the whole way through, and your attention to detail.
The overall detail was thorough and specific enough to paint a picture.
It was an unique one-shot, to say the least. You don't see many others like this around here, if you know what I mean... ;)
BTW I gave you an "Excellent" Rating(aka five stars)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Jaxeh! That was spiffy. :D

I love how you described the bar and the prostitution and the prostitute herself. xD

Thank you. =D

Although when reading the end(I'm talking about the Ekans-Pidgey thing) I thought it said something else.

Not that kind of snake. XD Bill's talented, but he's not that talented.

Edit: The video and song for Beast and the Harlot came to mind while reading this. The idea of corruption, which is what the video's based upon. Now I have to get it out of my head. It's stuck...and so's the video.

And now, I have a video to see. Yay!

You definitely described her well. The seductive-ness was obvious.

Thanks. I hoped it would be.

In reading this I didn't know it was a one-shot(must have missed something - I do that a lot).

It's okay. My fault for not mentioning it beforehand.

I really liked the precise quality of your writing the whole way through, and your attention to detail.
The overall detail was thorough and specific enough to paint a picture.
It was an unique one-shot, to say the least. You don't see many others like this around here, if you know what I mean... ;)

Thanks.

And this forum definitely needs to be populated by more prostitutes in fanfics. I mean--!

BTW I gave you an "Excellent" Rating(aka five stars)

Thank you. =D I'm flattered.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
Lol, I didn't mean prostitutes! I meant romantic/seductive descriptive writing like yours. Despite the fact that the story wasn't based on "kissing," it gave me the same feeling. It's a nice feeling, but it was short :( (one-shot, What could I expect? ;p)
I don't know many people with a knack for that type of talent, but you certainly do.

I write romantic stuff, but reading your own story never gives you the same feeling. Already knowing what is going to happen and not "experiencing" a story for the first time without total understanding of the piece, doesn't happen when you read what you write.

I wrote a lot, and it may not make sense but feel free to point out or ask if you don't understand something.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Lol, I didn't mean prostitutes! I meant romantic/seductive descriptive writing like yours.

Dang. I kinda wanted more prostitutes.

Seriously, though, thanks. I'm flattered. =D

I write romantic stuff, but reading your own story never gives you the same feeling. Already knowing what is going to happen and not "experiencing" a story for the first time without total understanding of the piece, doesn't happen when you read what you write.

I think I know what you mean, though I admit I don't read romance that often. Still, I get the warm and fuzzies more often when I'm not the one writing, as you've said. Any warm and fuzzies I get when I am the one writing is because I'm a sap who squeals over finally getting X and Y together (no pun intended).

I suppose the same thing can be said for any kind of work, really. If you know what's going to happen, you're not as frazzled by it when it does. Horror is scarier when you don't know what's killing the campers, mystery is more intriguing when you don't know whodunnit, and OT stories tend to be more exciting when you don't know who's the chosen. (Although with OT stories, that tends to be obvious. O_<)

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
Years
Definitely not what first came to mind when it was said he's not above doing anything to get a rare Pokémon, but hey, you never know...

This first paragraph does a fantastic job of setting the scene. It's like I'm there (I'm not the sort to go to those sort of places, but that's not the point).

It took me a minute to realise what the blood pooling meant. I've... never heard it put that way before. And it took a few seconds to figure that the Ekans/Pidgey metaphor was not intentionally dirty. Curse my mind spending a lot of time in the gutter!

I don't usually read oneshots, but I still greatly enjoyed this. You don't see many stories about Bill, which is a shame because I like him. There's a lot that can be done with him and other NPCs.

As for Bill and Celio (another of my favourite characters), I imagine them as heterosexual life partners. But sometimes... I don't. Mind, gutter and all that.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, Suicune Girl.

It took me a long time to figure out the blood thing. Not cause she described it wrong, I just didn't put two and two together. I saw fish when I should have seen four. XD

My mind's in the gutter to much too. =P
It's strange how when you think like that, you unintentionally look for innuendos and stuff.
It's "The Curse of the Gutter" XD

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
Years
My mind's in the gutter to much too. =P
It's strange how when you think like that, you unintentionally look for innuendos and stuff.
It's "The Curse of the Gutter" XD

You got that right! Once your mind's in the gutter, you start looking for things that aren't there and it's near impossible to get out of it.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Definitely not what first came to mind when it was said he's not above doing anything to get a rare Pokémon, but hey, you never know...

*nods* Yeah, I was just thinking the guy meant he'd parade around a town in a Torchic costume or something, but then I thought, "You know, how low can a person get for a rare-- oh."

This first paragraph does a fantastic job of setting the scene. It's like I'm there (I'm not the sort to go to those sort of places, but that's not the point).

Thank you. =D I'm really glad to hear that. It's my belief that if you're going to give a reader a setting, you should try to make people who haven't even gone to something like that place feel like they've been there before.

All pretentiousness aside, I'm glad to hear that you could see everything so clearly. ^_^

It took me a minute to realise what the blood pooling meant.

And to be honest, I really don't blame you or anyone else who said they didn't get it at first. It's not something you really think about with Pokemon characters. XD

I've... never heard it put that way before.

Ah. It's okay.

I'm pretty sure I've heard it somewhere myself, but in any case, it just stems from knowing a little too much about how the human body works. (Or at least being told so by a couple of med students who are incredibly into their work. One even told me about the vein that runs through it and why it's bad to get it injured. *thumbs up*)

And it took a few seconds to figure that the Ekans/Pidgey metaphor was not intentionally dirty.

XD Who said it wasn't?

I don't usually read oneshots, but I still greatly enjoyed this.

Thank you. =D

You don't see many stories about Bill, which is a shame because I like him. There's a lot that can be done with him and other NPCs.

Amen. It's a shame, too. Pokemon doesn't really do much to establish a solid character for the side cast (or, for that matter, the main cast itself). I mean, the version of Bill I write about ends up being a wild mess of media (anime, Special, and game), and even then, I had to fill in a lot of the blanks myself. The same methods of meshing together medias and filling in the remainder of blanks could be used with the Gym Leaders other than Brock and Misty. Then, for characters that only get one episode in the anime and that's it (like A.J., for example), there's less of a foothold. So, you're actually free to bend these characters more than you are in other fandoms that actually bother to try giving each character a backstory and multidimensional personality. I just don't get why Pokemon fans don't take advantage of how loose canon is with a lot of side characters, rather than create legions of characters from scratch. I mean, with canon characters, you're a little less likely to get red flags for creating a Mary Sue if you can say, "Well, canon said this, so..." Or, at least, fans are less likely to think that a canon character is a Mary Sue. At least, given the fact that they occupy the same universe as Ash Ketchum.

Uh, rant aside, yeah, I wish there was more decent Bill fic out there. I try, but I'd like to read someone else's now and then. Same could be said with any side character fic, for that matter. There's some good ones out there, I know, but a lot of the fics I run into are about OTs or the main cast. (Emphasis on "a lot," by the way. And then, "a lot" means more like 90%.)

As for Bill and Celio (another of my favourite characters), I imagine them as heterosexual life partners. But sometimes... I don't. Mind, gutter and all that.

XD It's okay.

I personally think your version is cuter (just having them be friends and partners), but my mind has made a little hobo camp in the gutter. The city police are trying to get it arrested, but...

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
Years
*nods* Yeah, I was just thinking the guy meant he'd parade around a town in a Torchic costume or something, but then I thought, "You know, how low can a person get for a rare-- oh."

XD That's a wonderful mental image.

Thank you. =D I'm really glad to hear that. It's my belief that if you're going to give a reader a setting, you should try to make people who haven't even gone to something like that place feel like they've been there before.

I like that approach. I suppose that's the tricky part of writing, huh?

(Or at least being told so by a couple of med students who are incredibly into their work. One even told me about the vein that runs through it and why it's bad to get it injured. *thumbs up*)

And people say the internet isn't educational...

XD Who said it wasn't?

Yay for double entendres!

Amen. It's a shame, too. Pokemon doesn't really do much to establish a solid character for the side cast (or, for that matter, the main cast itself).

Maybe the lack of a solid personality discourages people from writing them? Or they just don't think of using them, since there's so many characters that are (for the lack of a better word) forgettable?

I mean, the version of Bill I write about ends up being a wild mess of media (anime, Special, and game), and even then, I had to fill in a lot of the blanks myself.

On that note, I re-watched Mystery of the Lighthouse (again =P) and the differences between Bill in the different medias still never ceases to amaze me.

The same methods of meshing together medias and filling in the remainder of blanks could be used with the Gym Leaders other than Brock and Misty....

That's true. Heck, there's a truckload of NPCs that could have an interesting story or two to tell. Like the 'I like shorts' kid, the G/S/C rival, the old man on Knot Island who wants to marry his granddaughter off to Celio... I'd better stop there, or I'll keep rambling. But anyway, the potential is there.

I personally think your version is cuter (just having them be friends and partners)

I still can't resist the temptation sometimes. =P

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
XD That's a wonderful mental image.

Hee! Oh yes. I can has plot bunny nao. XD

And yet, I really don't think Bill would really care about parading around in any Pokemon costume, even if one didn't consider "Mystery at the Lighthouse." In fact, I think he'd be parading around with an "eat more beef" sign.

I like that approach. I suppose that's the tricky part of writing, huh?

Yeah, I agree that it's a bit tricky, especially if it's the beginning of a story. You want to make sure your image is clear, but you don't want to take too long and bore the reader. @_@ Not to mention you've got to choose what you say carefully, or your readers will end up giving you odd looks or commenting that they really didn't feel the story all too much.

And people say the internet isn't educational...

"The internet is really, really great..." XD

Yay for double entendres!

Best things ever. Seriously. XD

Maybe the lack of a solid personality discourages people from writing them? Or they just don't think of using them, since there's so many characters that are (for the lack of a better word) forgettable?

Yeah, I suppose. So, I guess, in that case, it's just easier to develop a completely new character than it is to use a half-created character that's only had one episode? ^_^;

On that note, I re-watched Mystery of the Lighthouse (again =P) and the differences between Bill in the different medias still never ceases to amaze me.

It's apparently amazed everyone else I've met who actually paid attention to the episode and knew him from other canons as well. XD I mean, Bulbapedia even mentions it.

I'd like to think that this is just the writers and artists taking liberties, but his in-game personality was completely different in RBY as well... O_o

That's true. Heck, there's a truckload of NPCs that could have an interesting story or two to tell. Like the 'I like shorts' kid,

...Crap. I have another plot bunny. XD

Although, really, that's just asking for it. Cute little kid with a fetish for shorts.

Or maybe just a very strong liking for them.

the G/S/C rival, the old man on Knot Island who wants to marry his granddaughter off to Celio... I'd better stop there, or I'll keep rambling. But anyway, the potential is there.

Definitely. I'm really starting to think that you're right about the earlier note. I suppose it really is just too difficult to scrap together a half-created canon character than it is to make one completely from scratch.

At least then, you've got say in where the character's from, what they do, what they look like, all that kind of thing.

Which, come to think of it, may explain why OT stories tend to be more prevalent than stories about Ash and crew, despite the fact that they're the main characters.

I still can't resist the temptation sometimes. =P

Which is always good because those two would still be infinitely cute together if they were banging each other in a spare room while the hero avatar was off running errands for them. And still infinitely cute if they weren't, of course.

Back