• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
It has been discussed before, but I thought it was worth putting in this thread so we have some documentation of it:

Battle Tower doesn't return your pokemon.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Getting a slight bug with recent releases of Essentials. If I ever use fogs, they jump around when I walk around the map from time to time, and before this was never an issue. Perhaps something has changed or am I missing something?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The only thing I changed regarding fogs was in version 4 when I fixed the tiling problem with scrolling fogs. I don't think that would be a problem, though, based on what I actually did.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
The only thing I changed regarding fogs was in version 4 when I fixed the tiling problem with scrolling fogs. I don't think that would be a problem, though, based on what I actually did.
Did you do anything in the release before it? As I think that is when I began encountering it. Try setting a fog up above any map, walk around and see if you're getting the same issue. I'm gonna look into it a little more.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
Did you do anything in the release before it? As I think that is when I began encountering it. Try setting a fog up above any map, walk around and see if you're getting the same issue. I'm gonna look into it a little more.

I'll add that the same happens to me, but it's only in certain parts of the maps, somehow. It also disappeared after I removed the connections to said map.

Maruno

Years
Brief testing suggests it was my edit in version 4 that did it (i.e. it wouldn't have occurred in version 3). What I think is the problem is that I didn't consider the zoom factor of the fog when fixing the tiling, which means if the fog is at 200% zoom (as it is by default), then every time you move half the width/height of the displayed fog tile (i.e. the actual width/height of the picture), the fog jumps. If it was 300% zoom it would jump 3 times per width/height of the displayed fog. 100% zoom shouldn't have any problems.

For scrolling fogs, the jumping problem seems to go away after a while, which is unexpected. The jumping also seems to behave differently at map edges.

For the code-minded, the issue is in SpriteWindow, around lines 4780 and 4810.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I understand the issue, but I do not want to change anything without undoing what you have done first, so do you have recommendations as to what to change or add here?

Maruno

Years
Lines 4779-4782 (the 4 added lines) and lines 4810-4811 (the 2 while lines) all need some kind of zoom factor in them, to make the changes they apply use the fog's displayed size, not its actual size. Adding in a multiplier of @__sprite.zoom_x (or y) in all cases should work, as far as I can guess. I'd have no other ideas, at least.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Even though Maruno can't solve it, I decided to post a VM he VMed me anyway:

"I've heard that something Poccil did broke the Input Button Processing event command, but I don't know what or how to fix it. I can't help."

Upon further experiment, this seems to be correct, as it's present in every post and pre-Maruno changes, so if anyone knows what's going on, that would be good. :)

D. Lawride

Years
Even though Maruno can't solve it, I decided to post a VM he VMed me anyway:

"I've heard that something Poccil did broke the Input Button Processing event command, but I don't know what or how to fix it. I can't help."

Upon further experiment, this seems to be correct, as it's present in every post and pre-Maruno changes, so if anyone knows what's going on, that would be good. :)

In trying to configure the PDA's scrolling options correctly, I ran into this error too, since pushing up seems to automatically decrease a value in whatever index you're using (like a list); the reverse applies to Down. Left and Right worked perfectly fine though. Dunno if it helps. We tried to look for where this was being configured, but didn't find much about it. Maybe the two are related?

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
In trying to configure the PDA's scrolling options correctly, I ran into this error too, since pushing up seems to automatically decrease a value in whatever index you're using (like a list); the reverse applies to Down. Left and Right worked perfectly fine though. Dunno if it helps. We tried to look for where this was being configured, but didn't find much about it. Maybe the two are related?
My problem is that the game always thinks I'm pressing up, when I press any other keys.
The two are probably related though as long as you're using that command :B

I was making a small gender selection scene. I also tried Input.trigger? and the conditional branch (If button is pressed), but this isn't the place to discuss my problems.

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
Years
Hey everyone!

I'm experiencing an error everytime i try to give a Key Item to the player. I don't really know what it is, i've tried different things but nothing seems to fix it. Here's the error:

Code:
Exception: RuntimeError
Message: Script error within event 7, map 44 (GREENLEAF CAFE):
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: Section094:785:in `pbStoreItem'undefined method `length' for nil:NilClass
***Full script:
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(PBItems::TOWNMAP)
Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
PokemonField:1847:in `pbReceiveItem'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:787:in `eval'
Interpreter:787:in `command_111'
Interpreter:319:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:193:in `update'
Interpreter:106:in `loop'
Interpreter:198:in `update'

Interpreter:275:in `pbExecuteScript'
Scene_Map:103:in `update'
Scene_Map:101:in `loop'
Scene_Map:114:in `update'
Scene_Map:68:in `main'
I had a slight idea that it may be related to PokemonBag, on line 785 (That's the place where i found PbStoreItem, at least)

But i've checked there and nothing seems out of place, here's what it says:

Code:
def pbStoreItem(item,qty=1)
    pocket=pbGetPocket(item)
    maxsize=maxPocketSize(pocket)
    maxsize=@pockets[pocket].length+1 if maxsize<0
    return ItemStorageHelper.pbStoreItem(
       @pockets[pocket],maxsize,BAGMAXPERSLOT,item,qty)
   end
end

Any idea of how to fix this?

Thanks!

D. Lawride

Years

My problem is that the game always thinks I'm pressing up, when I press any other keys.
The two are probably related though as long as you're using that command :B

I was making a small gender selection scene. I also tried Input.trigger? and the conditional branch (If button is pressed), but this isn't the place to discuss my problems.

Well, this was done through script, but they're probably the same since the command probably resorts to that function too. I do know that we had to make it through cases so we didn't have to use variables, since Input.trigger? and pressed were constantly screwed up.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
It has been discussed before, but I thought it was worth putting in this thread so we have some documentation of it:

Battle Tower doesn't return your pokemon.
In PokemonOrgBattleRules, after the first "def pbCancel" put "$Trainer.party=@oldParty if @oldParty!=nil"

But this tower have several others bugs, I am trying to fix the Battle Tower thing and I have made a good progress, when I finish it I will post how to fix.

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
I did the script code to check if the first pokemon was a bulbasaur in my party, and it gave me this error:

Exception: RuntimeError

Exception: NoMethodError

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `species' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

$Trainer.pokemonParty[0].species==PBSpecies::BULBASAUR

Interpreter:787:in `eval'

Interpreter:275:in `pbExecuteScript'

Scene_Map:114:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
I had two pokemon in my party, a charmander and a bulbasaur. I had an event i was testing where i needed a bulbasaur to be first in my party and it gave that error.

Years
Found a bug: can't take screenshot when pressing F8. When i replace with old script it is working again. Seem like safeExists is not working.

D. Lawride

Years
Found a bug: can't take screenshot when pressing F8. When i replace with old script it is working again. Seem like safeExists is not working.

It also happened by changing the name of the folder/game. in previous releases, both the saves and the screenshots were saved in the game's own folder, wasn't this a little more efficient?

Back