• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 2DS

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
It's only $40 cheaper than the normal 3DS. If it was about $89 then I feel it would be different. When the 3DS is already fairly affordable, releasing this seems to be pointless.

I think the other point though is that not only is it $40 cheaper (which honestly can be a big deal in and of itself... if you don't have that extra $40 you don't have it, period), it also appears to be more durable. So you pay less to get something that will most likely last longer.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I was always such a careful kid with my handhelds. I barely understand the argument that kids drop them all the time and damage the hinges. I... are kids really that careless with consoles? I suppose the answer to that is yes but it baffles me that people could treat consoles like that. Maybe it's because I got my first so late in my childhood that I well knew how expensive they were to replace or something. Though to be fair, consoles are a lot flimsier now than they were back when Nintendo first started putting them out...

I've always been careful with my stuff as well, but there are kids that think everything they own is indestructible, kids with behavior and anger problems that will toss them, kids that are clumsy will drop them, etc. My brother was just a rough player, which is how his hinge broke. My sister is clumsy and dropped hers a lot. So while it's weird to those of us that take care of our things, especially gaming consoles, it's more common (that I've noticed anyway) that kids will drop them, press buttons too hard from over-excitement, what have you. It's not always about being careless, really. There's accidents too. :( Those hinges aren't too hard to break either. I'm careful with my things and my original DS' hinge is a tad loose. And that happened after I was pretty much done with it. So idk what happened there.

And Seattle, I should clarify about the portability thing. It's not as easily portable as its predecessors. :P I have a big purse with lots of pockets, so if I really wanna take mine all over the place, I can put it in its own pocket in my bag. For guys though, who generally don't carry purses or bags of any kind, it'll be tougher to carry around, since it's not foldable.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I agree, it does look a little bulky. The good thing about it is that it'll be easier for kids to hold on to them. If it was like the 3DS, kids would've dropped it within just a few minutes. Some parents forget to lock the 3D feature in their 3DS every now and then, but this will guarantee you that 3D will be turned off at all times. Also, since this doesn't require you to constantly flip the top, kids won't be able to break it so easily. If I had a seven-year-old brother, this would be perfect for him. ^^"

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I want to ask something. Just how many people actually used the 3D more then 5 times?
Way more than you think.

Playing Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, MGS3, Resident Evil: R, DKCR 3D, Mario Tennis, Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 in 3D was so fantastic that I can't play those games in 2D anymore. (unless I had to.) 3D is an amazing feature and taking it away kinda ruins some games. (ex. Luigi's Mansion's atmosphere and animations was hugely complemented with the 3D and taking that away actually makes it a lesser game, if you ask me. And honestly the only reason I excused MGS3D's framerate is the ability to play the game in 3D mode.)

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
Way more than you think.

Playing Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, MGS3, Resident Evil: R, DKCR 3D, Mario Tennis, Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 in 3D was so fantastic that I can't play those games in 2D anymore. (unless I had to.) 3D is an amazing feature and taking it away kinda ruins some games. (ex. Luigi's Mansion's atmosphere and animations was hugely complemented with the 3D and taking that away actually makes it a lesser game, if you ask me. And honestly the only reason I excused MGS3D's framerate is the ability to play the game in 3D mode.)
While I do agree that 3D is a pretty cool feature, I really can't see how you and some others can play on some of those games without getting distracted. Some of them I can understand, Paper Mario for instance since it does not require quick actions. But, for the life of me I just can't figure out how you were able to withstand, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and Star Fox 64 for more then a minute or two. When I got the 3DS I'll admit I thought the 3D features were very cool. But I slowly started to forget about the feature over time. Surprisingly enough, I soon completely forgot about it until people were asking me to turn the 3D up and I thought, 'Oh yeah, I can do that.'

Maybe it's just my friends and I who don't use it. But, I'm pretty sure thats not the case. Quite frankly, I would have bought the 3DS even if it did not have 3D and was called the DSX or something, I still would have bought, and enjoyed, it.

Keizaal

but innocence is gone
Years
I'm pretty sure the 2DS is more geared to younger players. Young kids can get their eyes damaged if they use the 3D feature incorrectly. The 2DS, IMO, is a great idea. MY little sister's are big Nintendo fans, I'm sure they'd want games like Pokemon Rumble, Super Mario, Ocarina of Time, Pokemon X/Y Mario Kart, etc, without the risk of hurting their eyes. I have a 3DS, and I've only used the 3D feature once or twice for OOT, It was annoying to have to keep the DS at the certain angle and a certain distance from my face. And IMO, Ocarina of Time wasn't that different without it. And it's $40 cheaper, which is great. I think the design might be a little clunky, but it is certainty kid friendly, which I think is what Nintendo was aiming for

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
While I do agree that 3D is a pretty cool feature, I really can't see how you and some others can play on some of those games without getting distracted. Some of them I can understand, Paper Mario for instance since it does not require quick actions. But, for the life of me I just can't figure out how you were able to withstand, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and Star Fox 64 for more then a minute or two. '
Because the frame rate is still the same in 3D for those game. Kid Icarus is still 30fps in 3D, while MK and SF64 are still 60. :P And the 3D itself aren't distracting at all. It was at first, but after playing with it for a while (10 minutes. No I'm serious.) you get accustomed to it. In fact, 3D enhances the experience not just aesthetically, but functionally as well. It's much easier to tell the distance in 3D in Star Fox and Kid Icarus for example...actually it's a big help for all the games I mentioned.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
My only complaint about the 2DS is how difficult it'll be to use when getting streetpasses, especially if kids don't want to mess up the top screen with a lot of dusts from their pockets. Somehow, I doubt the 2DS will be affordable enough for those who can't buy the other 3DS's, because I know someone will think $129.99 is still expensive for him due to his low income.

Also, reading all of these "Nintendo is doomed" comments here regarding the 2DS makes me want to cringe for missing the main idea of this device.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
People complain about the 3DS being too expensive, yet continue to complain after Nintendo produces a cheaper version...

I already have a 3DS, so I don't have any need for the 2DS. I don't see why anyone should hate on it, no one's being forced to buy it and it won't affect 3DS users.

I agree. Unfortunately, people just like to complain about things that have nothing to do with them.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
I'm actually at a point of purchasing a new console at the moment, specifically the 3DS. I heard about this today, and the price does tempt me, but I honestly can't think of much more reason to buy this. I'll still have my DSi, and the 3DS is for the enhanced graphics, so I'm not sure I'd enjoy the games as much if I played them on a 2D screen. If I do end up choosing the 2DS, it'll be because I want to purchase more games immediately along with the console, haha.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
The price is pretty tempting to me, since I have yet to even buy a normal 3DS yet, but even though I don't find the design completely awful, I'm worried I'll start to miss the ability to fold up my DS and put it my pocket, among other features the 2DS is missing. Oh well, I'll probably make up my mind before Pokemon X &Y are released.

Years
I think the design actually looks far more confortable then the 3DS original, My hands always start to cramp up after a few hours of playing that system, regardless of the game I'm playing.

In my experience the hinge-consoles have been somewhat fragile, and I've had 2 break on me at different points. (My current 3DS has a right shoulder button malfunction that's actually a fairly common accurance among many other users I've talked to). So having a sturdier system might not be the worst thing in the world. I'd have a hard time seeing anyone breaking that thing.

As for the screen worries, they have items such as screen protectors an it's also fairly likely that Nintendo and 3rd party companies will be creating at least 1 good case for the system.

It's rather quite brilliant really, selling possibly the most kid friendly system since the GBA pretty much on launch with a Pokemon title. This should sell really well, just not to us.

That being said, I might just buy one to be a Pokemon Player :)

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I want to ask something. Just how many people actually used the 3D more then 5 times? Me and most of my friends don't, I know that. The 3D was a nice feature and all but I found myself completely forgetting the 3D after a few days with the system. I'm not sure if it's just me, but 3D makes it hard for me to focus on the game, especially if it's filled with fast-paced action.

Also, now that I think about it, Super Mario 3D Land had some sections where it helps if you turn the 3D on.(Pretty much the game where I used it most because of that) But, I don't really think that would be a problem. It was not used that much as far as I know.(I never did 100% on that game but I did beat the main story and some of the bonus worlds and, as far as I can recall, I only had to use it like 2-3 times and it's perfectly doable without the 3D)

Also, I don't see why so many people are hating on the design. I mean...it looks exactly like an open 3DS with the buttons moved up. It's really not so bad people. I've read a hands on that says it's rather comfortable so it won't interfere with gaming or anything.

Also, you can actually close it in a way. There is a slider that simulates the closing of the screen.

I only have 1 3D game (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity) and every time I play I always have the 3D on, makes game more fun. No experience with any other 3D game so far. I guess everyone is different I use 3D a lot, for me main reason to get 3DS too, I have fun with the camera and 3D video too.

I just hope the 2DS has many of the features I use a lot besides gaming, video and camera. I have not checked out everything it offers. Since it plays 3DS games If I do get it I will use it for trading between X & Y, or between Black2 and X or Y.

Slider isn't same as closing the 3DS. That is just me.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I'm pretty sorry for the people trying to play Mario & Luigi 4 there because I tried to bring the console to the beach one day and the lighting made it impossible for me to tell the 3D and... the pre-final boss has a specially annoying attack that is virtually impossible to dodge without the 3D on. I had to give up and wait to be back home to try again. Not that I would have known otherwise because I don't think I have ever turned the 3D off voluntarily. 3DS games without 3D just look visually horrible to me.

So I won't be touching this thing with a 3 metre pole. But I'm sure this is a wonderful alternative for the people who never use the 3D for a reason or another and, as it's been said, for all the parents who want to buy Pokémon X&Y for their kids but were worried about their eyes blowing up because of the effect or the console breaking. I can see it winning the Christmas sale- it's the cheapest system right now, and the one with better games as of yet.

Nakala Pri

This actually doesn't look too bad. Sure, at first glance, 'EW!' but at second, hmm, it might actually be more comfortable. It comes with it's own case, more colors might be announced. I may get this for my Birthday. I'll compare, see which one is more awesome. :P

Years
... Welp, it seems like Nintendo is finally cracking under whatever they're inhaling. That thing is hideous and bulky.

Last edited:

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
I think it's fine for the audience it's aimed at. Parent's dont need to find their way through settings to turn 3D off, the screens are slightly more indented to avoid damage, and they're connected to make them more durable. The overall console is more durable, bulky and the lack of a hinge means it's harder for kids to break it if they say drop it. Not to mention it's significantly cheaper then the other DS consoles.

It's quite obviously aimed at children, which is why I don't understand why they chose to highlight adults playing it? Nonetheless I believe it will do fine and is much more promising for parents, the price is lower, it's more durable and it has more games aimed towards children.

Last edited:
Back