• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
Ok I have a question: For baby pokemon what level do they evolve for you most of the time?

I ask because I was having trouble getting my budew to evolve early, someone one time told me he got his budew to evolve at like lvl 13 meanwhile it took me all the way to level 30ish and she never fainted once! The issue is that after around level 18 (IIRC) she starts losing moves because she would have learned them as roselia.

(Also I know it's based on friendship I'm just unsure if i'm missing something like how one guy says he evolved her at 13 O.o)

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Ok I have a question: For baby pokemon what level do they evolve for you most of the time?

I ask because I was having trouble getting my budew to evolve early, someone one time told me he got his budew to evolve at like lvl 13 meanwhile it took me all the way to level 30ish and she never fainted once! The issue is that after around level 18 (IIRC) she starts losing moves because she would have learned them as roselia.

(Also I know it's based on friendship I'm just unsure if i'm missing something like how one guy says he evolved her at 13 O.o)
Yup, friendship. A pokemon has a hidden "stat" that represents friendship, and it may increase and be maximized without even leveling up your pokemon once. This explains how your friend got his budew to evolve early - he simply maxed/met the friendship quota earlier than you did.

So yeah, there are several ways to increase it. Using vitamins/some berries, challenging gym leaders, catching a pokemon with a certain pokeball (Luxury ball), grooming/massage, or even by simply walking around! Once max happiness is reached, hit that next level and witness evolution.

It's also important to know that soothe bells boost the effects of mostly all increase by 1.5x

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
Yup, friendship. A pokemon has a hidden "stat" that represents friendship, and it may increase and be maximized without even leveling up your pokemon once. This explains how your friend got his budew to evolve early - he simply maxed/met the friendship quota earlier than you did.

So yeah, there are several ways to increase it. Using vitamins/some berries, challenging gym leaders, catching a pokemon with a certain pokeball (Luxury ball), grooming/massage, or even by simply walking around! Once max happiness is reached, hit that next level and witness evolution.

It's also important to know that soothe bells boost the effects of mostly all increase by 1.5x

yeah I just think for level 13 that either he just walked around a ton or is bluffing XD or he has A LOT of cash to spend on vitamins.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Some of them need certain times of the day. Budew needs to level up with max friendship in the day to evolve into Roselia, similar to evolving Eevee into Espeon.

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2013
Ok so Im into magic the gathering and my son just recently wanted to get into pokemon. I did used to play about 15 years ago and I remember jungle, and base set etc. My question to anyone (hopefully this is in the right spot and will most likely be the last time I ask any thing of anyone here) is there some sort of format system like in MTG? like legacy, modern, standard etc.? if there is where can I find a list of what sets are allowed in what type of tournyments?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Ok so Im into magic the gathering and my son just recently wanted to get into pokemon. I did used to play about 15 years ago and I remember jungle, and base set etc. My question to anyone (hopefully this is in the right spot and will most likely be the last time I ask any thing of anyone here) is there some sort of format system like in MTG? like legacy, modern, standard etc.? if there is where can I find a list of what sets are allowed in what type of tournyments?
All I know are these formats: Rotation, Modified, and Unlimited.

The equivalent of MTG's "standard" in Pokemon TCG is the Modified format, which only takes a few sets from the current Rotation. That said, Rotation is pretty much equivalent to MTG's 'modern' (and you would have to google the current rotation every now and then for that matter). Unlimited is equivalent to MTG's 'legacy'.

In Unlimited, all previously banned cards (well, officially, I suppose) are not allowed to be used. I'm actually not sure what cards are banned, lol, so you might want to check on those.

It's also been years since I've last touched pokemon TCG, so these comparisons might be off. >_< Feel free to correct me if i was wrong in everything, lol somewhere, or if this piece info is very outdated/incomplete. Well, if all else fails, you could try to search those keywords up the internet for better explanation.

Nonetheless, that's the most accurate way i could think of to make it easier for you to apply MTG's formats into Pokemon's. They're not really much different, eh?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2013
I Need Advice. Should I restart?

So basically, I want to complete the SS nationaldex without having any cheated in pokemon. however most of my legends were cheated in at some point or another in a friend's game that he then traded to me. The thing is, I have completely beaten the story line at this point in the game and restarting isnt going to be the easiest thing to do right now. :S
Also, I don't particularly understand the friend code thing, so i wont be able to get half of the legends back to complete the pokedex. What do you guys recommend??

I also have "Inhouse" a copy of diamond (s/l completed) and platinum (no save file yet) however most of the legends of diamond were also cheated in and given to me by the same friend.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2013
So basically, I want to complete the SS nationaldex without having any cheated in pokemon. however most of my legends were cheated in at some point or another in a friend's game that he then traded to me. The thing is, I have completely beaten the story line at this point in the game and restarting isnt going to be the easiest thing to do right now.
Also, I don't particularly understand the friend code thing, so i wont be able to get half of the legends back to complete the pokedex. What do you guys recommend??

Years
So basically, I want to complete the SS nationaldex without having any cheated in pokemon. however most of my legends were cheated in at some point or another in a friend's game that he then traded to me. The thing is, I have completely beaten the story line at this point in the game and restarting isnt going to be the easiest thing to do right now.

If your wi-fi connections are good, I advise checking out the Trade Corner section in this very PokeCommunity forum. Unlike the GTS, which tend to have ridiculous offers like "Level 9 and under (insert Pokemon that cannot legally be that level)" while the Trade Corner is guaranteed to get whatever Pokemon you need.

And Friend Codes are registered when you use the Pal Pad after logging into the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Most members here tend to have them written in their signatures or on their profiles. Click here for more information on Friend Codes.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Hey everybody, the first spinoff game I've played was Red Rescue Team, I didn't like it because of its difficult controls & not so cool graphics, but I kinda liked the story...
I then saw screenshots of Gates To Infinity & I liked the graphics a lot, so...
Do you think Gates To Infinity might be the one for me? (please list pros & cons :)

Honestly going from Red Rescue Team to Gates to Infinity is quite a jump. If I were you I'd play Sky/Darkness/Time. It probably has the best features out of all the dungeon games. I haven't played the new games but after reading up about them they work a lot differently to the others. Legends seem to be unavailable to use in your team and can only be battled with downloads. Legends in the other games are recruitable and thus usable.

I think if you're looking for a good storyline (and super long!) go for Sky/Darkness/Time where 492 Pokemon are available (491 for Time/Darkness) the graphics are the same as Red/Blue but imo the graphics are simple and cute. The 3D ones though seem to be better Pokemon-wise though as 5th Gen Pokemon are available.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Here's a quick question out of curiosity. What HMs are absolutely required to beat each game from Generations 1 to 4? I know that Cut was needed to beat B/W, and Surf for B2W2, but I can't remember the others.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Here's a quick question out of curiosity. What HMs are absolutely required to beat each game from Generations 1 to 4? I know that Cut was needed to beat B/W, and Surf for B2W2, but I can't remember the others.
Gen 1 - Surf, Strength, Cut
Gen 2 - Surf, Strength, Cut, Waterfall, Whirlpool (dragon's den)
Gen 3 - Surf, Strength, Waterfall, Dive, Rock Smash
Gen 4 - Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Waterfall

X-Tyranitar

Professional Rom Hacker
Years
Pokemon XD help

Can I get anyone to help me decide a great pokemon team for my second time playing this game?
I'm just not sure which pokemon to use:)
I hope to get a bunch of replies regarding what anyone thinks:)

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2013
Vitamins/ev question?

At what number of ev's are you forbidden from using a vitamin? is your last chance at 90, or can you use them up until 99?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
You can't use vitamins on a certain stat anymore if that stat has 100 or more EVs. If your Pokemon has 100 or more EVs in Attack for instance, you can't use any more Proteins on it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
A little question : Eating items like protein use 10 Evs and only raise 1 stat , but beat pokemon and get 4 Evs will have 1 stat .

So eat boosters are waste of Evs right ?

Happiness is useless and those boosters are so expensive .

And I tried it , level up A pokemon with rare candy gets 3 atk

Then I reset , feeding A pokemon 1 protein , then I use rare candy to level it up , it gets 2 atk ONLY !?

Booster sucks or what ? I wan perfect stats EVER ! ( Rayquaza > 456 sp.atk is my highest record without a suck boosters )

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

A little question : Eating items like protein use 10 Evs and only raise 1 stat , but beat pokemon and get 4 Evs will have 1 stat .
Nope, eat 1 Protein get 10 EVs for attack. Eat 10 Proteins, get 100 EVs for attack. There's a limit to using vitamins though. You will know this once you read an article or two about EV boosts.
And I tried it , level up A pokemon with rare candy gets 3 atk

Then I reset , feeding A pokemon 1 protein , then I use rare candy to level it up , it gets 2 atk ONLY !?
I don't really know what happened in the situation above. Especially when there is little being said. But anyway, chill. You don't get to see the effects in a flick of a finger.

1) the "4EV = 1 stat" rule only applies IF your pokemon is Lv100. So basically, EV boosts "scale with your level".
Now, let's say you want a badass Rattata on your team. Even if you fed it some proteins and EV-trained it all the way, you will never get a Lv10 or 20 rattata that has 100 attack.

2) [here's a link] if you wanna do the math. I'd suggest you read the whole article about EV training as well. It will rid you of these misconceptions.
Booster sucks or what ? I wan perfect stats EVER ! ( Rayquaza > 456 sp.atk is my highest record without a suck boosters )
You simply just misunderstood EVs and EV training. In fact, your Rayquaza is actually already "boosted" with that number. Every time you defeat a pokemon, you're already EV-training.

Again, I'd highly suggest reading the whole article in the link I've given above. It will give you a deeper explanation for everything I've mentioned here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back