• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advance Gen Quest

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
First of all, what up everyone? I'm new to the site but love it. I played a lot of Fire Red and Leaf Green when I was younger, played for a year or two in college and have recently started another play through, this time with high aspirations.

I have a couple GBAs, and a copy of both Fire Red and Leaf Green. I've played through both once and have consolidated my pokemon onto one cartridge. My old playthroughs from college got deleted....somehow......I had an entire team on Mewtwos from all of my playthroughs, haha. Originally when I started playing again my goal was to have that team once again. I'll have 3 Mewtwos after this current playthrough, however, that is far from the most important part of my new quest.

Out of boredom with my XBox1, I decided to start playing advance gen pokemon, but my goal is to collect every possible one including Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby, XD and Colosseum. I just bought the GBA Adapter for my GameCube and will be playing starting up Colosseum soon (I'll be looking for a lot of tips since I have never played XD nor Colosseum before). I want to have every single pokemon in Bill's PC on my original Fire Red cartridge by the end of all of this.

I'll be looking for tips from more experienced players and a lot of help on the Emerald, Sapphire, and Ruby games since I have never played them. Also, I cannot wait to unleash my best team in Colosseum and finally see my team in action!

Anyways, I'm going to continue playing my 3rd Leaf Green playthrough and get started on Colosseum very soon. Please, by all means, if anyone has any tips, tricks, or useful knowledge to help me with this undertaking let me know! Looking forward to contributing to this very active community!

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
Years
First of all, what up everyone? I'm new to the site but love it. I played a lot of Fire Red and Leaf Green when I was younger, played for a year or two in college and have recently started another play through, this time with high aspirations.

I have a couple GBAs, and a copy of both Fire Red and Leaf Green. I've played through both once and have consolidated my pokemon onto one cartridge. My old playthroughs from college got deleted....somehow......I had an entire team on Mewtwos from all of my playthroughs, haha. Originally when I started playing again my goal was to have that team once again. I'll have 3 Mewtwos after this current playthrough, however, that is far from the most important part of my new quest.

Out of boredom with my XBox1, I decided to start playing advance gen pokemon, but my goal is to collect every possible one including Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby, XD and Colosseum. I just bought the GBA Adapter for my GameCube and will be playing starting up Colosseum soon (I'll be looking for a lot of tips since I have never played XD nor Colosseum before). I want to have every single pokemon in Bill's PC on my original Fire Red cartridge by the end of all of this.

I'll be looking for tips from more experienced players and a lot of help on the Emerald, Sapphire, and Ruby games since I have never played them. Also, I cannot wait to unleash my best team in Colosseum and finally see my team in action!

Anyways, I'm going to continue playing my 3rd Leaf Green playthrough and get started on Colosseum very soon. Please, by all means, if anyone has any tips, tricks, or useful knowledge to help me with this undertaking let me know! Looking forward to contributing to this very active community!

Tips for what actually? I only know that I wish you good luck in capturing the pokemon. Also, some pokemon can't be even captured and has to be obtained from an event, so how are you going to do that?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
Tips as in maybe some items (I tend to just give everyone leftovers), any shortcuts you may have in any of the games, and strategies you may use, anything in general. Just kind of a broad "If you know anything helpful, I would appreciate you sharing".

Then, I have never played RSE, nor the GameCube games. Ive read a bit about the GC games, but I don't even know where to get started on RSE. I've looked at some of the starters but none of them really entice me. Also, what legendaries are there on RSE? Is it similar to catching the birds in LF/FR then catching MewTwo (Rayquaza I assume in RSE) near the end? Anything like the Legendary Dogs in those games?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I have played my Sapph game way too much I can finally contribute to this site. /gets serious/

The equivalent of the Dogs would possibly be Latias in Sapphire, Latios in Ruby, and Emerald allows you to pick which one post game simply by asking if the bird was red or blue.
Rayquaza=Hoenn Mewtwo, even at level 70.
Sapphire also has Kyogre as it's legendary, with Ruby using Groudon. Rayquaza is available on both, and Emerald uses all three I believe but I haven't finished that one.
Jirachi, Mew, Celebi, Ho-oh, Lugia, and Deoxys are all unobtainable without cheats or trading from other games(Jirachi has a disc).
If you decide to breed something or hatch the egg from Lavaridge, the Magna Armor hint only works with Emerald.
The leftovers item can be obtained in the Ship later on in the game iirc.....
Ralts is difficult to find but look on the route Wally finds his and you'll get on. Psychic type is pretty useful in game.
Tate and Liza are much harder in Emerald, bring a Pokemon with STAB Surf(like Swampert or Gyarados rather than an Hm slave Zigzagoon.
If you use Zigzagoon as a member rather than HM slave don't let him evolve. At level 20 he'll try to evolve, but at level 21 he learns Earthquake.~(or so I've been told.)
Cut is optional. You can get it in Rustboro but the only areas you'll need it are optional items and such.
Poochyena are in fact all over Route 303 and such. The first time I played I thought they were super rare around there.
I'm not sure how Lati@s is supposed to show up but my Latias was near Mossdeep first.

Hope this helps.~ :3

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
I have played my Sapph game way too much I can finally contribute to this site. /gets serious/

The equivalent of the Dogs would possibly be Latias in Sapphire, Latios in Ruby, and Emerald allows you to pick which one post game simply by asking if the bird was red or blue.
Rayquaza=Hoenn Mewtwo, even at level 70.
Sapphire also has Kyogre as it's legendary, with Ruby using Groudon. Rayquaza is available on both, and Emerald uses all three I believe but I haven't finished that one.
Jirachi, Mew, Celebi, Ho-oh, Lugia, and Deoxys are all unobtainable without cheats or trading from other games(Jirachi has a disc).
If you decide to breed something or hatch the egg from Lavaridge, the Magna Armor hint only works with Emerald.
The leftovers item can be obtained in the Ship later on in the game iirc.....
Ralts is difficult to find but look on the route Wally finds his and you'll get on. Psychic type is pretty useful in game.
Tate and Liza are much harder in Emerald, bring a Pokemon with STAB Surf(like Swampert or Gyarados rather than an Hm slave Zigzagoon.
If you use Zigzagoon as a member rather than HM slave don't let him evolve. At level 20 he'll try to evolve, but at level 21 he learns Earthquake.~(or so I've been told.)
Cut is optional. You can get it in Rustboro but the only areas you'll need it are optional items and such.
Poochyena are in fact all over Route 303 and such. The first time I played I thought they were super rare around there.
I'm not sure how Lati@s is supposed to show up but my Latias was near Mossdeep first.

Hope this helps.~ :3

Thanks for getting serious, lol. Very helpful though! Seriously. I did want to ask about the Mew, Ho-oh, Lugia, and Deoxys though. I heard that they may be available in Colosseum or XD? Also, would getting them with a gameshark cause any issues with the pokemon its self, or with my save file? I heard it can cause corrupt save files. If this can be denied, I would not mind using that method to complete it. I watched a Gameshark video and it seems like you can choose the level of it, I would want it as low as possible to I could build it up myself, I was unsure if doing so may cause some kind of problem with evolutions or it may change the attacks they learn at certain levels. I dunno, if its safe, I'll use it.....if I need to.

Again, great post, that is EXTREMELY helpful.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years

No, not quite. It learns Mud Sport in level 21, but Linoone learn that too (lv23). Zigzagoon aren't able to learn Earthquake at all, I'm sorry.

Zigzagoon however, can be quite useful at the start of the game. It learns STAB Headbutt in level 9 already, at which this is extremely powerful. In Ruby and Sapphire, its ability Pickup has 10% chance to find a nugget even at low level. The sell price of one nugget is equivalent to beating like 50 of those youngsters and bug catchers on the first few routes.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
No, not quite. It learns Mud Sport in level 21, but Linoone learn that too (lv23). Zigzagoon aren't able to learn Earthquake at all, I'm sorry.

Zigzagoon however, can be quite useful at the start of the game. It learns STAB Headbutt in level 9 already, at which this is extremely powerful. In Ruby and Sapphire, its ability Pickup has 10% chance to find a nugget even at low level. The sell price of one nugget is equivalent to beating like 50 of those youngsters and bug catchers on the first few routes.

Where the heck did did I hear Earthquake?......
Oh yeah it was a hack oops
Thanks for the clarification. XD

But yeah Zigzagoon is pretty sweet imo.

I'm pretty sure if you do it correctly Gameshark won't kill your game, but there's too much to risk I believe lol. I only use cheats on emulator although I don't even own a cheat item, but Imve tried out cheats for those before on a random Emerald rom I got bored of. The cheats for going to Birth Island, etc, were fine, but this one long code I tried to get a respawnable shiny Pikachu OT Ash 00000 with Surf probably is what messed it up. XD It is of courae up to you whether to use cheats but if done correctly they won't break your game. One wrong step could delete your save file, freeze your game, or even make it unplayable.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
Where the heck did did I hear Earthquake?......
Oh yeah it was a hack oops
Thanks for the clarification. XD

But yeah Zigzagoon is pretty sweet imo.

I'm pretty sure if you do it correctly Gameshark won't kill your game, but there's too much to risk I believe lol. I only use cheats on emulator although I don't even own a cheat item, but Imve tried out cheats for those before on a random Emerald rom I got bored of. The cheats for going to Birth Island, etc, were fine, but this one long code I tried to get a respawnable shiny Pikachu OT Ash 00000 with Surf probably is what messed it up. XD It is of courae up to you whether to use cheats but if done correctly they won't break your game. One wrong step could delete your save file, freeze your game, or even make it unplayable.

Yup, I'm with you man. I may try it on a cart that I have no save files on and just try and get the "unobtainable" ones that way, unless, of course, there is another course of action I may take. There is way too much for me to lose if I try Gamesharking on a cart with a lot of hours and stored pocket monsters.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Yup, I'm with you man. I may try it on a cart that I have no save files on and just try and get the "unobtainable" ones that way, unless, of course, there is another course of action I may take. There is way too much for me to lose if I try Gamesharking on a cart with a lot of hours and stored pocket monsters.

Exactly. And I believe there's some sort of hack check where unless you do then right then after catching Mew and Deoxys they won't obey, so catch then at Birth Island/Faraway Island correctly. Just something to watch out for. :3

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
Exactly. And I believe there's some sort of hack check where unless you do then right then after catching Mew and Deoxys they won't obey, so catch then at Birth Island/Faraway Island correctly. Just something to watch out for. :3

Well, sounds like I'll need to speak to you when/if I get a Gameshark! Definitely would not want to mess that up! If done correctly, can confirm that there will not be any issues with their development or them obeying you?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Mmm.... I'm going to say maybe. I've only messed around with that a little bit before. 3XD I suppose the important thing is to listen to the mojority of reviews of whatever cheat code you use and see if anyone else had a probblem and if they ever got it fixed and HOW the fixed it. You should be just fine doing this.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
Mmm.... I'm going to say maybe. I've only messed around with that a little bit before. 3XD I suppose the important thing is to listen to the mojority of reviews of whatever cheat code you use and see if anyone else had a probblem and if they ever got it fixed and HOW the fixed it. You should be just fine doing this.

Copy that. Probably don't plan on trying until I have most of my Pokedex complete. I've only got like 5 left for first generation, but I am rather clueless about all the 2nd generation. Any tips for their use at the end of FR/LF or at the beginning of Emerald. I ordered my first copy of Emerld and will be playing that after my 3rd FR/LG playthrough, currently on Victory Road.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Copy that. Probably don't plan on trying until I have most of my Pokedex complete. I've only got like 5 left for first generation, but I am rather clueless about all the 2nd generation. Any tips for their use at the end of FR/LF or at the beginning of Emerald. I ordered my first copy of Emerld and will be playing that after my 3rd FR/LG playthrough, currently on Victory Road.

Ahahaha see I haven't acrually finished an Emerald gane, because my team got stuck at Tate and Liza so I have no idea about anything doing with where the Johto pokes are at..... ^~^U And I canmt remember where each of the Johto pokemon are in Sevii Islands save for a few, but there are walkthroughs with where to find certain pokemon if you get really stuck.

And good job on nearly completing first gen the closest I ever got was about 79% in my Sapphire Regional Dex.... XD

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
Ahahaha see I haven't acrually finished an Emerald gane, because my team got stuck at Tate and Liza so I have no idea about anything doing with where the Johto pokes are at..... ^~^U And I canmt remember where each of the Johto pokemon are in Sevii Islands save for a few, but there are walkthroughs with where to find certain pokemon if you get really stuck.

And good job on nearly completing first gen the closest I ever got was about 79% in my Sapphire Regional Dex.... XD

I've got all the Johtos from leaf green, I know there are a few specific to fire red. Not sure I'll really use any of them since this playthrough I am getting all of my Eevee evolutions up to 100 each. When I start Emerald I will definitely be looking for some suggestions though, I know nothing of that game outside of some of the few pokemon I've scouted. Can;t wait for Rayquaza, I may actually soft reset for a shiny. His shiny version is badass.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 27, 2015
If you don't want to risk losing saves with a GameShark, buy a Nintendo E-Reader and scan some fake cards in to find Deoxys and the rest.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
So much for the E-Readers. LOL.

Happy F'n weekend everyone! Time to finish out my last playthrough on LG and move on to either Emerald or Colosseum. Suggestions? Really don't know which one I want to play first. Have been waiting a long time to see my team in Colosseum, that may be the route I'll take. Although Rayquaza is definitely the perfect addition to my team. Can't I get him in Colosseum though? Meh, here I go rambling again.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 30, 2015
YAY! So Pokemon Colosseum showed up today! Thanks to everyone who helped me out with my questions prior to my purchase. I'm about to pop it in and get rolling. My Gen1 dex is complete (with the exception of Mew), time to move into a new world with new pokes.....finally!

Any pertinent info that may help me get started? Good starters, quick tips, hidden items? anything of that sort?

I understand that you have to beaty the game and "cleanse" a bunch of dark pokes to be able to play with your GBA pokemon in game, but can I at least set up some battles simply so I can see my pokes in 3D for the first time since i started my first FRLG games back in 2005?

Back