• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Garnet Version~

What type of menù/ alternate screen would fit Garnet better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Awesome FAKEmon's. This game seems to be getting extremely good, and I am impressed how beautiful the game looks. And also while checking FAKEmon's I pretty much decided which ones I wanna use the most, because when this is complete I need to play it a lot and experience every single one of them, surprisingly enought none of the starters seems better than the others so I don't know which one to pick, probably Toofin.

My main TEAM would be:

Incensire (Seriously badass looking, is it Light/Dragon type?)
Dungoon (Dunsparce evo, WTF! How did you come up with that name? Dunsdrake or Dynedrake come to my mind :P )
Monartide (Seriously, a rainbow karp how could you not like it?)
Lungrade (Dragon/Fire or Fire/Dark perhaps? Even pre-evos look awesome)
Cruscage (Cubone evolution line has always been one of my standards!)
Gallectro/Hummingbuzz (Flying/Electric and Flying/???, they are both really nice looking.

Now I throw you with some questions:

1: If you have time will you include Trick Master in the game?
2: What is toughness lvl of the game overall, I like most of the games and hacks made here, Fire Red Omega as my favourite because it was hard as hell. So how hard will the game be, I don't want to run through it without thinking, I want challenging gym leaders with nice strategies...probably a bit of a$$h***:ness can be included? (Potions!)
3: Will you make a Jynx evo? Jynx has been one of my fav Ice pokemons. (Damn Nintendo, didn't give Jynx an Evo while they gave it to Magmar and Electrabuzz, damn sexists!)
4: Also, my fav bug Pokemon Pinsir needs evolutions! Why has it been left alone for all these years?
5: Wouldn't it be cool to have more pokemons like Nincada that becomes 2 invidual pokemons when it evolves? Btw, it would be quite sick if Ninjask and Shedinja would have evolutions xD

Well I quess that is all that I have to ask and plea. Continue developing, I hope you would give some teaser video or probably even a small beta that goes to first gym...or perhaps you are already making it. Good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Thanks to Help-14, Garnet has got a dualscreen itself. :°)
We have to work on the graphics, but it does work!
1z1db20.jpg

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
Great screens Mercury, as usual.
The Autumn atmophere works really well, I love all of the little things like the logs and bells. Which of the tiles are from HG/SS?
I highly advise you to not use a dual screen system, it really messes up the look of your game. Not its graphics, but the fact it's there. Please don't have one.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Great screens Mercury, as usual.
The Autumn atmophere works really well, I love all of the little things like the logs and bells. Which of the tiles are from HG/SS?
I highly advise you to not use a dual screen system, it really messes up the look of your game. Not its graphics, but the fact it's there. Please don't have one.
Mmm... maybe a sidescreen like Carbon's one would be better? I was thinking of it indeed, but i need first to talk with Help.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
Yes, a side screen would probably be a lot better, although I'd have to see to beleive.
I noticed that the front page had a few errors (about 30...), so I fixed all of them. I've pm'd it to you as it was apparently too large for a spoiler and I didn't want to mess up the thread.
It took absolutely ages!

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
This game is absolutely the best ever. I looked through the FAKEMON and they were awsome. Im itching to play this wonderful game

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Eh, not a big fan of the dualscreen. Expand the resolution and perhaps add a side HUD, or don't-- I don't have a problem with pressing start (or the equivalent) to reach a menu, and switching between mouse navigation and that of the keyboard is rather tedious.

...So get a snazzy menu, but drop this dualscreen business, it's really not worth it.

Your fakemon are a great inspiration for me. Continue being awesome! But make sure to give credit where it's due. c:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Because of the many doubts about the touch screen I made a poll.

You can choose between:
-touch screen
-side screen
-other (please explain)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Well, i'm open to all sort of comments, but I would preferer comments followed by motivations... anyway, I just realized that i haven't answered some questions!

1: If you have time will you include Trick Master in the game?
2: What is toughness lvl of the game overall, I like most of the games and hacks made here, Fire Red Omega as my favourite because it was hard as hell. So how hard will the game be, I don't want to run through it without thinking, I want challenging gym leaders with nice strategies...probably a bit of a$$h***:ness can be included? (Potions!)
3: Will you make a Jynx evo? Jynx has been one of my fav Ice pokemons. (Damn Nintendo, didn't give Jynx an Evo while they gave it to Magmar and Electrabuzz, damn sexists!)
4: Also, my fav bug Pokemon Pinsir needs evolutions! Why has it been left alone for all these years?
5: Wouldn't it be cool to have more pokemons like Nincada that becomes 2 invidual pokemons when it evolves? Btw, it would be quite sick if Ninjask and Shedinja would have evolutions xD
1. I think that this question has already popped out trough the topic, anyway, it is in my plans to insert some sort of Trick master house. I loved that feature in ruby!
2.Well, i don't like extremely difficult games, but i like even less too easy games. I'll put also dungeons and enigmas to make the game "longer" and more elaborate.
3. I think the same thing as you for the new evolutions, but there is not a Jynx evolution. Anyway, as you have already seen there it is a female evolution for Teddiursa. XD
4. We haven't thought about pinsir...
5. That's an interesting question. Garnet lacks of multiple-evolution pokémons. Maybe the fakedex will be changed for this.

Perfect Fakes, Tiles and map effects...But i think you could try to inovate in the battle system, and use sprites, not "battlers".
Well, we decided to continue with the standard BS. Garnet already needs long development time, a new BS would make it impossible to develop...

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I voted other.

I firmly believe a game should take up all the window, if you're looking at a single screen (as all PC gamers do). A dual screen is fine for the 4th Gen games, because the DS has two screens (no, it does, I've checked), but when you're playing on a PC you only have the one big screen. Turning half the game window into a menu just begs the question: "why not make the game screen bigger?". I have no problem with pressing a button to open a menu, since that's how practically every game ever works.

Having half the game window being taken up by a menu just distracts from the game itself. It feels like the menu is just as important as the actual game, which it clearly isn't (so why give the two 50% of the screen?). And it is always "half the game window" - people don't seem to have imagined that the lower part can very easily be smaller than the upper part.

A side bar is better, but if you must have one, make it as unobtrusive as possible. We're here to play the game, not look at the menu. It's better because it's different and would be potentially smaller. Not that a lower screen can't be a small strip either, but no one seems to have realised this. In fact, rather than a side bar, try using a lower bar that doubles as a text box during conversations. You get more game screen to play with, since messages are displayed below it, and because it's a bar you can simply make some screens (Summary/Dex?) a bit taller, rather than keeping a strict line to say "this is one screen, this is the other".

Having a menu visible at all times breaks the immersion, too. It's harder to feel like you're the player wandering around the world when you can always see the Save and Options buttons right there. D/P/Pl was better than HG/SS when it came to having an idle lower screen, because it showed the Pokétch, which is still part of the game. A menu, not so much.

An interesting (and disappointing) feature of all fangames that have dual screens is that they all seem to use it to display a menu. As I said, displaying the Pokétch is a better idea than a menu, because it's still a part of the game. But no, people think newer is better, which is why everyone wants to mimic HG/SS. I actually think better is better, but that's just me.

And then we get to the idea of a touch screen. I don't know how other people have their computers set up, but I have my keyboard here and my mouse here. I don't want to have to switch between the two at all during a game, and if I do just let it be for minigames. Don't make me have to keep moving from the keyboard to mouse every time I want to check whether my Linoone has found anything after a battle. That's just bad controls.

The DS is excused this because you can use your thumb, and the touch screen is right next to the controls anyway (and it's a major and popular product of a huge gaming company, which means it can pretty much do whatever it wants and people will love it). Fangames don't have the leeway to be half-arsed - for fangames, a small flaw is a flaw nonetheless, and people will pick up on it. A better game is not the same as a more technically advanced game, so don't put in features just because you can - put them it because they improve the game.

The only thing worse than someone deciding to do a dual screen and touch screen "because that's what the real games have" is someone doing that and then keeping the exact same design as the official games. I mean, if you're able to implement something as complex as that, you could at least try moving the icons around. Aside from a redesign being trivial for someone of your skill, it'd be new, fresh, original and other synonyms for "not a mindless copy".

That's my rant over. I think there were some good ideas in there, and anyone is free to use them.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Having half the game window being taken up by a menu just distracts from the game itself. It feels like the menu is just as important as the actual game, which it clearly isn't (so why give the two 50% of the screen?). And it is always "half the game window" - people don't seem to have imagined that the lower part can very easily be smaller than the upper part.
I think that the main problem for Garnet is that. With a game that makes graphics its strong point, making the player to focus attention on a different screen is harmful...
Anyway, you told:
The only thing worse than someone deciding to do a dual screen and touch screen "because that's what the real games have" is someone doing that and then keeping the exact same design as the official games. I mean, if you're able to implement something as complex as that, you could at least try moving the icons around. Aside from a redesign being trivial for someone of your skill, it'd be new, fresh, original and other synonyms for "not a mindless copy".
The design would have been modified, but i thought it was good to introduce the feature, probably i have been too hasty.

The first reason why i was looking for a "touch" screen is because i thought it would have improved the gameplay, by adding mouse-clicking features and minigames, but if PC-gamers look for something else, i will do everything to make happy all of you. I didn't add the dualscreen because of the "advance creed" but because of that...

Anyway, your post is really useful. As I said at the beginning you probably found an important problem (at least for Garnet): the alternate screen resolution. It would be certainly better to reduce it.

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
Years
I say other.
I like those two types of menus but theyre original.You could make your own type of screen like,A cut scene that shows the player looking into his gear/watch and the menu screen comes up on the item.Then If he wants to go to his bag, he takes it off, opens it up and zooms into the item selection screen or ifto check on his pokemon, he just looks down onto his belt with the pokeballs and to see the pokedex just reach in his pocket for it......I NEED TO LEARN TO SCRIPT.....sorry for the spaz moment just thinking about the game im writing...anyway just do what you feel is right.Im sure it will come out right.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The first reason why i was looking for a "touch" screen is because i thought it would have improved the gameplay, by adding mouse-clicking features and minigames, but if PC-gamers look for something else, i will do everything to make happy all of you. I didn't add the dualscreen because of the "advance creed" but because of that...

Anyway, your post is really useful. As I said at the beginning you probably found an important problem (at least for Garnet): the alternate screen resolution. It would be certainly better to reduce it.
By no means am I saying "don't have touch screen". Touch screen is fine for minigames, and other occasions where you won't use it that often. Just don't make a touch screen main menu, since it's used all the time.

CGCoder

Rawr Profile Stalker D:
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2015
WOW i cant believe you made a 3D Pokemon Rom Hack With Decent Looking Fakemon it looks REALLY good i cant wait to play it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back