• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Plus it's Universal Studio's 100th anniversary; they need a movie that's not only memorable like E.T. and Back to the Future, but also win academy awards, and Les Miserables fits the bill to compete with the Avengers.

Years
Looks like this year is all about socio-politico-historical films: Argo, Les Mis, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Anna Karenina, and Hitchcock. You know, people and the times they lived in.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Plus it's Universal Studio's 100th anniversary; they need a movie that's not only memorable like E.T. and Back to the Future, but also win academy awards, and Les Miserables fits the bill to compete with the Avengers.

The Avengers was amazing. It was the best superhero movie of all time, in my opinion. It won't win any Academy Awards though, except maybe in categories like "Best CGI" or something, because it was a comic book/sci-fi/supernatural type movie, and those films are never acknowledged by the mainstream award ceremonies.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The Avengers was amazing. It was the best superhero movie of all time, in my opinion. It won't win any Academy Awards though, except maybe in categories like "Best CGI" or something, because it was a comic book/sci-fi/supernatural type movie, and those films are never acknowledged by the mainstream award ceremonies.

What about the Dark Knight back in 2008? It won a ton of awards, and I was really hoping that a summer blockbuster could achieve, but it didn't won Film of the Year.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
PINKIE DAWN I AM SO MAD THAT YOU TOOK THE 1000TH POST IN THIS THREAD
SO MAD
TRULY ENRAGED

Years
What about the Dark Knight back in 2008? It won a ton of awards, and I was really hoping that a summer blockbuster could achieve, but it didn't won Film of the Year.
That's because of Heath Ledger's untimely death. It gave the move more exposure than it would've had otherwise.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
That's because of Heath Ledger's untimely death. It gave the move more exposure than it would've had otherwise.

That kinda reminded me of that video Cracked made to poke fun of oscar-winning movies in general, which brings me to this other question: Does a celebrity help a movie win more awards the more it's exposed?

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Well, yeah, the more a movie is exposed the more likely people are going to remember it and think it deserves awards or whatever above other movies who may not have been marketed as effectively. Which goes to say that if a big name celebrity is involved, it's going to get a lot of exposure, especially if the celebrity has a) died b) gone through a divorce recently and c) otherwise had some big public affair which makes them and therefore the movie interesting and worthy of extensive scrutiny.

Brizz

TM87
Years

This. As soon as one dies in the entertainment business, it does nothing but help their career, or in this case a movie Heath Ledger was starring in.

Reminds of how amazing everyone thinks Michael Jackson is now that he's passes. For example, VH1 ranked Michael Jackson as the 40th greatest artist of all time just a few years before his death. When they made the list again (I believe a year or two ago) he was ranked number two. Sympathy vote much?

Note: Yes I know that VH1 makes garbage lists.

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
A Few Fall On going animes I'm watching

Since the entire series is not over I will likely copy and pasta the summaries and add some intros I may add something in my own words but I don't exactly have a silver tongue so here it goes.

Code: Breaker- Riding the bus one day, Sakurakouji Sakura looks out the window to see people being burned alive with a blue fire and a boy her age who's unharmed and standing over the people. She comes back to the site the next day and there are no corpses or evidence of any kind of murder, just a small fire. She then goes to class to find there's a new transfer student, Oogami Rei, who looks exactly like the boy she saw before and wears a black glove only on his left hand. Oogami is a Code Breaker, one who "does not exist". He is a seemingly cold-blooded killer who follows the principle of "an eye for an eye", to "use evil against evil". Convinced that killing is not right, Sakurakouji sets out to stop him and penetrate his icy heart.

Psycho-Pass- In the near future, it is possible to instantaneously measure a person's mental state, personality, and the probability that a person will commit crimes with technology called the Dominator. Just thinking about a crime can make you guilty, and in this world there is no mercy for criminals. Detectives work in pairs--one Enforcer and one Inspector--with Enforcers delivering lethal justice, and Inspectors making sure their partners don't take things too far. The story follows Enforcer Shinya Kogami, who must solve and manage crimes in this dark future.

Girlz Und Panzer- You may have heard of kung fu, but the girls at Oarai High School practice gun-fu - really, really BIG 75mm gun-fu, in fact. It's called Sensha-do, and it's the martial art of operating armored tanks! They take it seriously too, and since winning the national Sensha-do championship is such a huge deal at Oarai, they sometimes go to extreme ends in order to get the best students from Panzer class to sign up. Which is how Miho Nishizumi, who HATES operating tanks, gets drafted to join doomsday-driven driver Mako, even-triggered gunner Hana, highly receptive radio operator Saori and combustible tank-fangirl and loader Yukari as the incomparable Anko Team. They may not be on the half-track to fame and fortune, and maybe a few of them would rather shop for tank tops than become tops in tanks, but once their focus is locked and loaded, they're absolutely driven.

Just a side note on gogoanime.com (my main free anime video source) has subtitles in a mix of German and English, it's mainly English and you should be able to pick out some of the German.

Shinsekai Yori (Does not have an Opening)- About one thousand years into the future, civilization has been retrograded and humans are living dispersed within small communities. People in this era have a psychic power called "Juryoku" which materializes things they imagine. In the absence of advanced scientific technology, people are using this power as a major source of energy. One day, a girl called Saki, along with her friends, finds a small archive robot outside the town. It records the ancient history of humans. It tells them that Juryoku was found in the 21st century and the discovery caused a world war between psychics and non-psychics. The psychics won this war and thus their reign of terror began. When the adults in town figure out that the children discovered this forbidden knowledge, they seal their Juryoku and exile them. Saki and the others end up in a forest where they meet a huge hairless bipedal mouse known as a "Bakenezumi" and get involved in a violent war the creatures are currently engaged in.

Zetsuen no Tempest (also no opening via youtube)- The story revolves around Mahiro Fuwa, a teenager whose family was mysteriously murdered one year before and his friend Yoshino Takigawa. Mahiro is contacted by Hakaze Kusaribe, the leader of the Kusaribe clan who was left stranded on an unknown desert island by her followers, and agrees to help Hakaze in exchange of her help to find out the culprit for the death of his family. Upon learning of his friend's intentions, Yoshino joins him on his quest to stand against the Kusaribe clan who intends to awake the "Tree of Zetsuen" whose power can bring ruin to the entire world.

Like I said before if I find anything really interesting or a need-to-know fact about the anime I will edit this post. I hope you find yourself bored someday and watch some of these great animes. Some of them may be nearing their end or have ended though.

Years
I agree with what Harley said, but I also think that sometimes if the movie a famous person is attached to isn't "Hollywood" enough it's going to fly under everyone's radar. What I mean is, if the movie is a little weird or offbeat or has an unclear message or even theme then Hollywood isn't going to know what to do with it, how to market it to people.

I'm sure Cat Dog would have more insight on this.

Years
I'm watching Hidamari Season 3 now (X Honeycomb)
It's really funny and interesting girl life~
It's about Yuno and her friend at Hidamari Apartement life, OHOHO! They're really good!
I'm just waiting for Tales of Symphonia OVA Episode 10 part 2 been dubbed by xFlameberg in Youtube so i can watch the ending.

Oh yeah!
That anime..Psycho-pass...looks really interesting, maybe i'll try it later~

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
General seasonal anime talk should actually go into the J-E thread of talking, so here's a merger

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'm a big fan of rather short anime with often rather odd stories that makes you think or feel things, preferably in the genres of romance or friendship. Examples of such anime that I've liked a lot are Tsuritama, No.6 and Kokoro Connect, even though the third is probably not as odd as the others.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of more anime that are more like these, rather than long running, slowly progressing (I'm guessing here but lol it seems that way), action filled stuff like Naruto or One Piece and whatnot :3 Note that I can be picky about the animation style :p I love the styles of Tsuritama and No.6 and I downright detest stuff that looks more like, hm, yugioh ^^'

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Reminds of how amazing everyone thinks Michael Jackson is now that he's passes. For example, VH1 ranked Michael Jackson as the 40th greatest artist of all time just a few years before his death. When they made the list again (I believe a year or two ago) he was ranked number two. Sympathy vote much?

Putting aside my own love for Michael, I'm going to have to agree with you on this. I personally think he is the single best male artist of all time (note - in this I mean solo artist), but I was somewhat aggravated by this too. I'd love to feign naivety and say that 'oh, his death just got us to appreciate his music in a different way that we had before, we were touched all over again' but the way I see it is that yes, 'sympathy votes' were the reason these inaccurate lists placed him on the top, rather than judging him completely by his own merits and actions before his death.

I'm listening to Dirty Diana as I type this, lol.

droomph

weeb
Years
I watched Captain Eo at Disneyland, and honestly Michael Jackson has an amazing voice. He deserves somewhere near the top by all means, but yeah some of it is just because they died and the magazines want all the attention.

Feed me, anyone? Cute little green monster? No? Okay

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
I would recommend taking a look at the noitaminA block of shows. While they've become much less so recently, they hold a lot of unique little gems in their lineup. Tsuritama and No. 6 are part of it, in fact.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I understand why the media tends to lavish praise upon dead celebrities, and upon dead people in general, but the overkill for which it's done is often kinda ghastly. Any character flaw or undesirable personality trait is just washed aside in a sea of "but s/he's deeeeeeeeeeead!" Bleh.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Artists usually gets more praises when they died lol. Like Michael Jackson, everyone kept making fun of him because of the story with him and the kid. But now, more people respects him because he passed away and now realizes that he was a great artist or just jumps on the bandwagon.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I find it funny how people care more about celebrities after their deaths than prior to them. For instance, sales in Michael Jackson albums skyrocketed after he died. Something makes me wonder if it's the widespread 'I have to get his old albums since there won't be any ones!' mood or if it's something else, but whatever it is, I don't understand it. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back