• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do YOU pronounce Arceus?

What is your way of pronouncing 'Arceus'?

• Ar-CEE-uss

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • ARK-ee-us

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Ar-SAY-us

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Pokemon_Trainer_Danny

Slateport resident
Years
There are three different ways on how to pronunciate Arceus' name. Before Arceus' name was revealed, people had pronounced it as 'Ar-see-uss', in a trailer of Arceus and the Jewel of Life, people pronounced it as 'Ark-ee-us', and the last being 'Ar-say-us', as said on Pokemon.com.

I personally always pronounced it as 'Ark-ee-us'. It always sounded most 'divine' to me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Before I first heard its name, I've always pronounced it "Ar-kay-uss". Now I pronounce it "Ar-see-uss" And I've heard it from Dr. House xD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I use the first pronunciation because it somehow reminds me of "Zeus." I've stuck to that pronunciation since Arceus was first introduced.

Mentalii

Back
Years
I've always pronounced it Ar-say-us. Sounds like the most logical pronounciation to me.

Years
The first thing that I saw when I read the name for the first time was "arc," as in part of a circle. So naturally, I've always pronounced Ar-kee-us. I do understand that Ar-see-us works to, although it sounds like someone saying "Arse-y us." I don't really get how Ar-say-us would be a correct pronunciation, though (it should be written Arcéus if said that way).

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
If it was Arkeus or whatever, the japanese name would have been A-RU-KE-U-SU instead of A-RU-SE-U-SU, but its not. So "Arsayus" /thread

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I personally always pronounced it as "Ar-See-Us" until some friends told me they thought it was Ar-Kee-Us(right before it was officially pronounced). Still say it my old way every so often.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Ar-CEE-uss. Seemed like the most fitting pronunciation.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Arceus pronounced with a soft C reminds me of arse. I either pronounce it ARK-EE-US or ARE-SOOS because of the way Zeus is spelled like Arceus.

Years
I think if the "e" were meant to be pronounced "ee" is would be written with two e's. Like Butterfee, Weedle, Victreebel, Drowzee, Eevee, Feebas, etc. Compare that to names with one "e" like Golem, Kecleon, Ledyba, Gengar, Cleffa, Gardevoir, etc. In any case, the name looks like Greek and/or Latin so I'd go with "ar-SAY-us" or "ar-KAY-us."

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Ar-see-us.

Pronouncing it any other way would be weird to me. xD

Back