• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is everybody equal?

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jun 4, 2014
Only two things can possibly be naturally egalitarian - life and liberty. Everything else you conceive of as either being or should be egalitarian though it may be noble is merely artificial, and promoting equality by force is nothing more than evil itself.

Ergo, you should treat others as equal to if not better than you treat yourself. But neither expect to be reciprocated, surprised that it won't be reciprocated, nor demand the reciprocation.

Years
People aren't equal, not matter how hard we try to correct it. Inequality and *injustice is inherent to human society, we will always have a class system and in that system, men will take whatever they can from other men, including their freedoms and liberties. An unfortunate truth.

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
In this ~politically correct~ world we'd like to say that everyone, no matter what their religion, sexuality, occupation, family, passtimes, etc., is still as equal and as valuable as any other individual. But how true is this? Is someone with a happy family and a secure, well-paid job 'better' than someone with neither? Can you look at the man that sits on his sofa doing nothing but drinking and playing video games all day and say that he's equal to someone who goes out, does their job, and makes the money they need for a comfortable and enjoyable life? What does "equal", "better" or "worse" even mean in this context?

Discuss.

Wow the part in bold is so rude... my cousin is a lawyer in Virginia (North) and he drinks soda, plays Xbox (and beats all of the game 100%), but no he is not lazy.

Granted he plays video games A LOT but he has a very good and well paying job. So to say people who play video games excessive are more than likely jobless is very rude.
______
So going off of what you said... I suppose if I were to spend the grand majority of my time playing game that means I am a jobless loser?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'll say groups that we tend to label people with... those are equal. Should be treated equally.

When you get down to the individual level though - no, everyone is not equal

droomph

weeb
Years
As a whole, yes - everyone is equal. But when you come down to it, the harsh reality is that some people are worth less than others. Now, I'm not saying that Snooki (or that druggie you see out by the parking lot begging for money) is less important than the people defusing land mines in Cambodia necessarily, but it's true - some people are of less worth than others.

But that doesn't mean that some people are sentenced to a life of unimportant and banal stuff, no - it means the opposite, that it's what you do with your life that matters how much you're worth. I know it's cliched and an overused phrase, but what you do with that time you have after you're born and before you die is the most important to your worth.

And so, speaking from that perspective, yes, people should have equal rights...but do they? That's hard to speak - it seems like no, but you do hear about these stories of unlikely successful people who grew up poor and delinquent...that makes me question the "unequality" issue - maybe it's necessary for some people to experience the poor life before moving on to the rich?

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Everyone is born equal, with specific strengths and weaknesses due to genetics. Its what you do with the rest of your life that decides how much you're "worth". A person that is blind, paralyzed from the waist down, and has one arm can be worth as much or more than a fully able bodied person. I also think that everyone has around the same amount of intelligence and ability to learn. Its the enviroment and how much there is to learn that mainly affects how "smart" someone is.

But desire to learn affects a lot as well. Say two people are born, one in the hood, and one in a wealthy home. They go to the same school, and have the same teachers. But in the kid from the hood's home, his parents are supportive and stress the importance of school. The rich kids parents don't really care. The kid from the streets is going to study, pay attention, and try hard. The rich kid is going to sit back, spend his allowance on drugs, and coast by. The kid from the street is most likely going to come out ahead of rich boy, because his effort was higher, even though the rich kid grew up in a "better" atmosphere. The poor kid gets scholarships and goes to college, while the rich boy doesn't even apply. Years later, they are both still rich, but the cardiologist from the hood is "worth" more than the rich kid that never has to do anything in life, with no ascernable skill sets.

I mean, it doesn't always play out like that, rich kids aren't always stuck up, but if that were the case, I believe the scenario would finish with those results.

Thats just my opinion

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Two human beings are not equal while they're alive. They're equal after they die. That's the harsh reality.
However, when it comes to law and rights, everyone should be treated equally. Everyone should have the same rights and opportunities, but sadly, that is not the case. For example, a heterosexual guy will never get as much hate as a homosexual guy. Just being hated for something that isn't his fault and that doesn't harm other people means a homosexual guy isn't equal to a heterosexual guy.
There are other cases like this, which don't involve sexuality. Sadly, there are still a lot of racists out there. Here's an example: It's winter. A white man is struggling to get his car open, because the lock is frozen. 30% of other people watching him struggle will think he's trying to steal the car, while 70% will assume that the lock is frozen. Now, on the other hand, it's the same situation, only with a black person. Sadly, the percentage won't be the same. I believe that at least 50% of the people watching him will think he's trying to steal the car. So in this case, we can't talk about equality (Please don't get me wrong - I am not racist at all, and I would really love to see racism cease to exist, but as long as there are stupid people who believe in stupid stereotypes, that won't happen).

So, when it comes to sexuality, skin color, religion & nationality, humans are not equal. We should be, but we're not.

However, those aren't the only aspects that can be used to determine whether we're equal or not. There's still intelligence, life style and job. I'm going to skip right ahead and say that, sadly, humans are not treated equal when it comes to these aspects.
First, intelligence - a more intelligent person will generally be more valued than the less intelligent ones. He'll be treated better and get more opportunities in life than the less intelligent one. For example, two guys are given a mathematical problem to solve. One of them is known to be smarter and more intelligent than the other. However, they both make the same mistake while solving the same problem. The smarter guy will then get replies like "Oh, you made a mistake? Well, it can happen to anyone, here, try again.", while the less intelligent one will get replies like "OMG ur dumb go home u stoopid!". So, they're not equal.

I could go on and on, talking about non-equality, but I believe this is enough to get my point across. Sorry for the long post and bad English :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Wow the part in bold is so rude... my cousin is a lawyer in Virginia (North) and he drinks soda, plays Xbox (and beats all of the game 100%), but no he is not lazy.

Granted he plays video games A LOT but he has a very good and well paying job. So to say people who play video games excessive are more than likely jobless is very rude.
______
So going off of what you said... I suppose if I were to spend the grand majority of my time playing game that means I am a jobless loser?

That's not what he said. He was comparing a person with no job that doesn't try to get a job or do anything worthwhile with their life (thus why the "nothing but" in the first example) to a person that goes out and makes money and does something to support themselves as opposed to the person that's certainly leeching off of someone else, whether the government or an individual. He's not referring to a person who plays video games and does something else worthwhile with their lives. You're getting offended over nothing, lol.

I'll say groups that we tend to label people with... those are equal. Should be treated equally.

When you get down to the individual level though - no, everyone is not equal

I really like this description of it, I hadn't thought of it in this way in the past.

However, when it comes to law and rights, everyone should be treated equally. Everyone should have the same rights and opportunities, but sadly, that is not the case.

This is what I feel too. Although people are not born with equal talents and equal potential in life, equality in opportunities should be presented to every person. And by that I don't mean "every person should be offered dance lessons if one person is". I mean that everyone should live in an environment where their individual talents are nourished and encouraged, while they're pushed to continually work on their weaknesses to make them a well-rounded person. That kind of life should be available to everyone equally.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
No, no one is equal. Nietzche said it best, equality is just a ruse people use, in an attempt to justify cretin actions. Whether that be equality of assess, equality of opportunity, or equality of result; humans can never be equal.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
In my humble opinion:

We are all human - therefore we are all equal and the same. Life is a constant battle to survive, and everyone is born with the instinct to live. We all die in the end, worth is just a human-made concept. Some people latch on to others, and some live to lead. Whatever the purpose, the objective is always the same - to survive.

I also don't feel the need to compare myself to other people, although I do prefer to hang around people that appreciate my presence.

Money, fame, power, education- all an illusion that can be taken away by other powers (thieves, assassins, courts to name a few) if done correctly. Watch the movie "Trading Places", for an EXCELLENT (and funny) example of how easily these things can be taken away and become useless.

In the end, this topic will remain only opinion, and I doubt anything could convince me otherwise. Still, it's interesting to see everyone else's opinions. ^^

(That being said, I respect everyone else's opinions on the matter, and do not for a single second claim that mine is the correct one.)

Last edited:
Years
People in general are going to always categorize and marginalize people they feel to be inferior to themselves. It's a sad truth. The only way to combat this is to try to make all people equal before the law, in order to level the playing field. It takes time though.

Back