• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I can't believe I haven't been the only one who has mistakenly read Skymin's username as Skyrim :O
Elder Scrolls... only if it's in Skyrim... if only for a single quest. Gotta love Skyrim.
Gonna be honest, as a region (in terms of culture, geography, and architectural design), I don't really like Skyrim. I understand that a lot of people like it because it was their first game and most people haven't even played the others (or in a lot of cases, even heard of them. Most of the people that play Skyrim think that it's the name of the series, often saying things like, "Are they gonna make a new Skyrim?" and stuff like that). It did put a damper on my experience of the game (and, well, I'd played Morrowind and Oblivion before it, so it wasn't my first time in a game like that), but the reason I bring this up is because I think that it would be best for an Elder Scrolls RP to take place in a place other than Skyrim.

This reason isn't really personal or because of my feelings towards Skyrim, but rather because there's so much to the Elder Scrolls-verse that most don't know about, and I think that if someone were to host an RP in Elsweyr, Daggerfall, Cyrodiil, etc., then it would probably be more of an experience for the RPer, and a mystical (and intuitive) one at that, should the region be illustrated correctly.

MichaelaTheUchiha

Forever Shawol and Aileean
Years
I can't believe I haven't been the only one who has mistakenly read Skymin's username as Skyrim :O
Elder Scrolls... only if it's in Skyrim... if only for a single quest. Gotta love Skyrim.

Final Fantasy. Dunno, I have been away from the series ever since the universe was made by Supervegeta, so, I wouldn't be able to suggest anything or actually grant if I'd join it, sowwies.

Now, Young Justice? What would the plot be like. Superpowers, will the protagonists and antagonist be included? Setting? It kinda intrigues me, but I'd need to know what you has in mind, Michaela :D So, call me none since I am interested o3o

Wait, you like Young Justice? (clasps your hands as my eyes sparkle brightly)

I was thinking a sort of continuation RP after season two, either with the Darkseid plot they seemed to have hinted at, or after a time-skip where it's a different plot (I don't really know much about Darkseid, so I would probably need more help/information in that regard...). People could be an OC (but they would have had to join after season two so we wouldn't go waaaay off canon) or they could be a protagonist from the series itself or an antagonist from the series itself.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Wait, you like Young Justice? (clasps your hands as my eyes sparkle brightly)

I was thinking a sort of continuation RP after season two, either with the Darkseid plot they seemed to have hinted at, or after a time-skip where it's a different plot (I don't really know much about Darkseid, so I would probably need more help/information in that regard...). People could be an OC (but they would have had to join after season two so we wouldn't go waaaay off canon) or they could be a protagonist from the series itself or an antagonist from the series itself.
An OC RP? That'd be interesting, there seems to be a bias against them on the forum, simply under the assumption that they wouldn't work out or they'd be too restrictive to the player. I'd at least like to read one, though, and I'd definitely support one, because it's a darn shame that we don't have at least a few on here.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
An OC RP? That'd be interesting, there seems to be a bias against them on the forum, simply under the assumption that they wouldn't work out or they'd be too restrictive to the player. I'd at least like to read one, though, and I'd definitely support one, because it's a darn shame that we don't have at least a few on here.

I hate you all and you shall all burn if you take control of canon characters rawr fear me for I am Naku!

Okay, so . . . I can tell that this province topic is going to take some serious thinking, huh? Lol . . . hmm . . . maybe I'll just launch ten roleplays simultaneously and be done with it! xD

MichaelaTheUchiha

Years

It really depends on whether or not if the OC is well written and isn't too overpowered. I'd probably want more people taking control of characters than OCs, though, but I wouldn't put a ban on OCs...

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
Well you would also need to make sure those who take control over already existing characters coud play them out realistically. An it would also be kind of unfair to have some people working out OCs while the rest just pick a hero and join, no?

MichaelaTheUchiha

Years
Well you would also need to make sure those who take control over already existing characters coud play them out realistically. An it would also be kind of unfair to have some people working out OCs while the rest just pick a hero and join, no?

Well, they wouldn't just "pick out a hero and join" though. I would probably like for them to fill out a SU as well, just to see if they know the backstory and personality of their chosen characters well, but, yeah, I see what you mean. I guess that would be no OCs then.

Probably no one that isn't in the official team listing by the end of season two either. So, I guess Troia would be okay, but not Starfire or Raven, but I supposed that approved characters depend on where the plot goes.

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
I'm still concerned, people could just research their character on the Young Justice wikia or some othe site, copy-paste the info they find and then change some wording here and there and then call it a day. Granted, they could be RPers of quality and do perfect impersonations of their characters, but it still sounds odd to me.

Have you considered using a custom alternate universe of sorts as a setting? OCs with powerS that were to fit upon certain standards, events similar to those of the series plus some of your own and whatnot. A retelling, perhaps? I think it would be less complicated this way and you could also include the protagonists as MPCs or something. Just a suggestion, though... Ditch it instead if you want xD

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm still concerned, people could just research their character on the Young Justice wikia or some othe site and then change some wording here and there and then call it a day. Granted, they could be RPers of quality and do perfect impersonations of their characters, but it still sounds odd to me.

Have you considered using an alternate universe of sorts as a setting? OCs with powerS that were to fit upon certain standards, events similar to those of the series plus some of your own and whatnot. A retelling, perhaps? I think it would be less complicated this way and you could also include the protagonists as MPCs or something. Just a suggestion, though... Ditch it instead if you want xD
From my PoV, the attraction of playing as OCs is being given a role and...well...being able to play it, much like playing as a character in video games, but I think for the RP the best example would be Lee from Telltale's The Walking Dead. In the Walking Dead, you are given a character with a personality, a history, and an appearance, but how you play him is almost entirely up to you. He's interesting to play as because of who he is, and it is in dealing with who he is and melding that with how you, as the player, go about his decisions.

Really, I think it's the same deal here. The characters are established, but OCs are always open to decisions that the author may not have intended, but still decisions that the character would still make in their right mind. While the paths that are available to the RPer are most certainly different, they still have an incredible amount of options as to how they would go about the RP, how they want to play the character, and how the story will shape the character without breaking them entirely. The OC is still theirs to mesh, and so long as they don't break them, it can make for interesting developments in the way of a story and how the readers see the characters in the canonverse as well as how the RPers use their creativity in taking the roles of their characters.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
No offense, but I'd rather not go to a province with cannibalistic and carnivorous elves who can transform into monsters and live in giant walking trees, as fun as that sounds. Seriously, though, the more exotic provinces with less known about them would be a blast to explore, but it would be a little difficult for players who've never known anything Elder Scrolls outside Skyrim, Oblivion, and maybe Morrowind. In Daggerfall, High Rock had a massive map and Orsinium is there too so that could be fun. You could have a pirate adventure in the south maybe, or a clan conflict deal in Orsinium, or a typical medieval fantasy thing going on in the big cities. Plenty of possibilities there.

Au contraire.

Because we know so little about these places I would argue that it would actually be easier for a newcomer to join the roleplay. We have some information about the region of Valenwood (simply using it as an example here) but we hardly know it inside and out like many would with Skyrim. It means that any information we have would have to be read off of the wiki and the rest would be made up by the players to fit into the theme.

It would make it far easier for newcomers to the franchise to settle in because there would be a lot less regional information for them to learn, as opposed to Skyrim where a lot of important regional knowledge could only be picked up by playing the games. Valenwood could be learned by looking up Valenwood and Bosmer and then you'd be set.

Plus, carnivorous elves. <3

MichaelaTheUchiha

Years
I'm still concerned, people could just research their character on the Young Justice wikia or some othe site, copy-paste the info they find and then change some wording here and there and then call it a day. Granted, they could be RPers of quality and do perfect impersonations of their characters, but it still sounds odd to me.

Have you considered using a custom alternate universe of sorts as a setting? OCs with powerS that were to fit upon certain standards, events similar to those of the series plus some of your own and whatnot. A retelling, perhaps? I think it would be less complicated this way and you could also include the protagonists as MPCs or something. Just a suggestion, though... Ditch it instead if you want xD

I spend my days reading the YJ wikia. Trust me, I would know if they just copied and pasted the information.

No, I have not considered using a custom alternate universe, but I love Young Justice because of the characters, not because of the plot, but I suppose it would be fun to see how different OCs react in that situation...I dunno. :/

Thank you for your comments, EliteBeats and machomuu. :)

I don't know what to do now. (sighs) Decisions, decisions.

Nakuzami

Years
I don't know what to do now. (sighs) Decisions, decisions.

Just know that anybody taking over already existing canon characters shall be burned at the stake, and then you're decision is made. ;3

Of course, taking over Raven is always tempting, but you've already said that's out, so, yeah, no. d:

AH

Grif

machomuu

you guys, I need to figure something out and you just make me want to think about it more than I probably need to. xD

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Fine, Nakuzami. We can come to some kind of compromise, I suppose.

Akavir, if only to make the roleplay twenty times more confusing that it ever had to be.

Nakuzami

Years
Okay, somewhere in Tamriel! xD Akavir would be awesome, but we'll leave that for a later date. Maybe some quest into or war with the races of Akavir somewhere down the road in the roleplay? Would make it interesting, to say the least.

Personally, I would say Elsweyr, Valenwood, Argonia (Black Marsh), or maybe even High Rock. That's mainly because I love Khajiit and Argonians, so I'd like to have a little fun in their homelands, and I also think the province of Valenwood would be interesting, if not beautiful. High Rock because that contains Orsinium, and I kind of like Bretons, being half man and half mer. Plus High Rock was in one of the main series games, albeit a rather old one, so it's described, but not nearly in as much detail as provinces like Skyrim or Cyrodiil, and few people here have probably played Daggerfall.

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
Akavir, if only to make the roleplay twenty times more confusing that it ever had to be.

Unfamiliar yet often referenced where all the races and their cultures are known to a certain degree and everyone gets katanas? Sign me up! Alternatively it could take place during one of the Tamriel-Akavir conflicts.

If it has to be in Tamriel then my final vote remains for High Rock for previously stated reasons (and yes, I've played Daggerfall as I mentioned earlier), although Elsweyr still sounds doable.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Alternatively, instead of setting it in Tamriel, you could make your own original high fantasy setting. it just takes time. a lot of time. d;

Nakuzami

Years
Alternatively, instead of setting it in Tamriel, you could make your own original high fantasy setting. it just takes time. a lot of time. d;

asdfghjkl; We don't have time for such time!
And it wouldn't really be TES if we set it somewhere else. Technically speaking, a lot of the areas of many of the provinces could be considered "original" if we RPed in them, considering they haven't really been explained other than brief, general geography.

Okay, so how about we do it with two provinces? One of these combinations, perhaps?

Valenwood/Elsweyr
Black Marsh/Morrowind
High Rock/Hammerfell
Cyrodiil/Skyrim

Or really any pair of provinces that border each other. Summerset Isle doesn't border anything so the Altmer have no say, lol.

And if we set it in 3E 288, we can have it during Uriel V's invasion of Akavir. d:

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Valenwood/Elsweyr, by far.

Speaking of original fantasy roleplay, I have a few ideas in the works. Unchained will come first mind you, but I'm just letting everyone know that a fantasy setting might be spawned at a later date.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Nappa: Hey Vegeta, what does scouter say about the post count of Pokemon Trainer Academy?

SV: It's over 9000!

I had to do it. It's not often you get an RP hitting 9000 posts. Quite an achievement. Congrats to everyone involved!

Also, an Elder Scrolls RP would be kinda cool. I believe I saw one before, but it never quite took off.

jov0006

Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!
Years
Nappa: Hey Vegeta, what does scouter say about the post count of Pokemon Trainer Academy?

SV: It's over 9000!

I had to do it. It's not often you get an RP hitting 9000 posts. Quite an achievement. Congrats to everyone involved!

Also, an Elder Scrolls RP would be kinda cool. I believe I saw one before, but it never quite took off.

I believe it was called the Elder Scrolls: Akatosh's Hourglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back