• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen ~Shiny Hunters~

IsaacTwentySeven

Shiny Electivire
Years
My last shiny hunt was chain fishing a few days ago while bored before school - managed to find a shiny Relicanth after not too long!

Not the shiny Seadra or Dragalge I was looking for, but I'll take it! Going to chain fish more later to try for a shiny Skrelp or Shellder.

EDIT: Around 10 minutes ago ~10:11 pm PST, I fished up a shiny Skrelp :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
After about 150 hours playing Y, as well as Crystal, Sapphire, Firered and Black 2( I've stumbled across my first 3 shinies in the wild this month. Only shiny hunted for 1 though.
The first was a Pawniard, I was in Lost Hotel looking for a regular Magneton. I found like 9 Pawniards and then ran outside, then changed my mind and ran back in. The Pawniard was the first encounter back in.

The second happened yesterday morning, I was leveling up Pokémon in Victory Road. The first Geodude hoarde encounter I ran into, maybe the 30th encounter overall contained a shiny Geodude.

Today I decided to fish chain for Corsola, Octillery and Gorebyss were also available but Gorebyss was like a needle in a haystack. I was actually hunting for Gorebyss for my Pokedex so killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Anyways I first did a 70 chain and broke it uhh, then went back and got shiny Corsola in 97. I fished in the middle of the lake and had Octillery with Suction Cups and Smoke Ball in front. In the first 70 encounters I found 1 Gorebyss at 27, in the second set of 103 I found 4, one at 7, 12, 34 and 84. I don't know if finding a shiny Gorebyss is visable what with these encounter rates. Oh well, glad it was Corsola.

Edit: I decided earlier to shiny hunt Poliwhirl, and later Poliwag. Ended up finding two shiny Basculin, first at 53 and the second at 81, same chain. Unfortunately I broke this chain at 82. The first Basculin actually contained my first crit capture break. About 20 into another chain I decided to switch to Poliwag, as it was the only encounter and switching rods doesn't break chain, broke this chain at 65 was moving over half an inch, then tried again and got a no nibble break after like 10 or so. Oh well. It's a shame they changed Poliwrath's shiny from teal to an ugly green color, I was planning to keep it a Poliwhirl. Also no creativity on Basculin's shiny.

Edit 3/26/16: I wish I had known fish chaining was this easy before. I fish chained on Route 3 and at Perfum Palace. I got 2 Goldeen, first one at 20 and second at 37. I got 2 Corphish, first at 17 and second at 30. And I got 2 Magikarp, first at 7 and second at 23. I got all 6 on Route 3, all involved surfing except the first Corphish. I noticed after catching a shiny it was better to break the chain and start over as I'd usually get to 30 and get no bite. I plan to evolve one of each, much easier to find these over their evolved forms for sure.

Last edited:

Akuryou Inushii

Reliant Cain
Years
Currently working on shiny legendaries in ORAS! The 24th of July was crazy! Four legendaries in one day. Including a Latios (Eon Ticket, 1,300 RAs), a Zekrom (~100 SRs), an Entei (~50).. and one totally by accident.

I was on the hunt for Suicune/Raikou, and was using the Eon Flute. I landed in the wrong area, where Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion were. (Didn't know at the time). I stepped up to the ring, pressed A, and waited.

A SHINY VIRIZION APPEARED.

I hadn't soft resetted for it once, it appeared the second I hit A.

Still dumbfounded!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Haven't posted in awhile, but since I last posted I found and caught about 40 more shinies.
On the 31st of Mar I found a 2nd Geodude, I did about 10 Sweet Scents it was full odds
On Apr 10th I started Friend Safari, I've found 19 shinies in Friend Safari
Phantump, Teddiursa, Ponyta, Meinfoo, Venomoth, Chansey, Espurr, Drowzee, Delibird, Quagsire, Butterfree, Doduo, Tangela, Electabuzz, Pinsir, Audino, Kakuna, Larvesta and Snubbull.

The longest was Chansey at 777 encounters, the shortest was Drowzee at 1, Drowzee was my 2nd shiny in about 38 Friend Safari encounters after Espurr at 7 that day. I found Espurr at 7 in 1 FS, then did another 30. I left and went to a new safari and Drowzee appeared in the first encounter.

I fish chained 2 more Poliwags and evolved them both to Politoed and Poliwrath, I also fish chained a few Poliwhirls, Basculin's, Remoraid's and Skelps. I also fish chained Clamperl, Dragalge, Relicanth, Chinchou and Qwilfish.

Finally I had another full odds random encounter, Druddigon in Victory Road and I hatched 2 shinies via Masuda Method Soft Resetting. I hatched shiny Ralts after 53 eggs and Miltank after 71 eggs.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I just found a shiny Abra is Friend Safari today in 3 encounters. It was the first Abra encountered. The other 2 were Wobbuffet's and I only had the first 2 unlocked. I had my Shadow Tag Wobbuffet named Carol already to go but got a crit capture anyway.

I love finding shinies in under 10 encounters in FS, this Abra ties with Butterfree, but Drowzee is my shortest at 1.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I just had crazy good luck in Friend Safari, I found 3 shinies within an hour. And all were under 20 encounters.

The first was Kirlia at 18 encounters, then Magmar at 4 encounters and finally Spiritomb at 11.

Earlier today I found a second shiny Tentacool(After 6 Magikarp) and evolved it.

Maybe this is making up for my horrible Porygon Masuda Method, I'm over 260 eggs for that.

Akuryou Inushii

Reliant Cain
Years
Masuda Method, while fast, isn't nearly as fast as the Friend Safari! I had pretty insane luck in the Safari in X, when I got a shiny Metang to train up for/commemorate ORAS!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 20, 2016
I've caught a shiny luvdisc and a shiny weedle on my deleted file....those are litterally the only shinies I've ever caught :/

hoshizorashiro

Sylveon Lover ♡
Years
I got up to 7 shinies in XY so far via various methods. (I at least wanted to try them all) my latest one I got was shiny ducklett. I got it in 5 chains after plenty of fails at using the pokerader so i'm glad I eventually got the shiny patch early lol

I also got shiny Treecko in ORAS and it took over 4000SRs in a week

Mardovelin

cute + grumpy
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 19, 2018
i've been meaning to replay through x/y so no shinies there.
but in or/as i've caught a total of 20 shinies and have about 2 boxes of shinies through wondertrade. the last shiny i got was mudkip after 2,599 sr's.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 23, 2016
I've never tried shiny hunting before and I only had a single random encounter shiny (Mr. Mime) in some older game, Diamond I think?

Picked up X last week and I'm nearly through it. Randomly encountered a shiny Pumpkaboo and was able to catch it. Not the most useful pokemon so I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 19, 2020
I was hatching eggs yesterday on pokemon x and ran into a shiny meinfoo.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I finally found the elusive Dratini fish chaining. Got it at 61 encounters.

Though my previous hunt for it ended in a 261 chain for a Basculin.

Last edited:

AleXShi1

Keep it real
Years
Im here to report back on my ho oh hunt in hg
I am failing miserably, after 6 months and ~23K SRs i am yet to see the golden bird, but as a hunter i shall not give up!

Akuryou Inushii

Reliant Cain
Years
So I managed to somehow encounter a shiny Mimikyu in Pokemon Moon. Except it was the Totem Pokemon and I couldn't catch it, and I didn't realize it was the shiny at the time. But I did notice that it appeared more grey..

Sun and Moon's shiny rate is definitely worse than the last two games, with the removal of chain fishing and horde encounters. The SOS method is definitely time consuming, and I'm not the most patient. xD

Back