• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Third Version

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Now that Sun and Moon are set to release, do we feel there is still an opportunity for a third version of XY to sneak in? If so, how would we imagine it to turn out?

Years
I don't think a third version is coming if they did they would have to come out before Sun and Moon and those games come out in 7-8 months. I just don't see it happening. What I really wonder is if they even had a third version planned at all to begin with. Maybe GF is done doing the third version format. This'll be the second generation now to not have one technically since B2/W2 were sequel games.

Years
Pretty unlikely if you ask me, since this year marks three years of XY and three years is usual for a generation lifespan so you have to admit, with this year being Pokemon's 20th anniversary, they would have definitely wanted to introduce a new generation rather than a new game from the current generation.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Nope. It's not looking good at this point D: Which is a shame, because I'd have loved to see a third version, but at the same time, I'm just glad to be getting a new game. Stinks though that Kalos was left with so many unsolved mysteries. Will we ever find out about the ghost girl, or those extra doors to the power plant??

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I find it unlikely as well. Feels to me more like GF just wants to leave Gen 6 behind and move on.

Stinks though that Kalos was left with so many unsolved mysteries. Will we ever find out about the ghost girl, or those extra doors to the power plant??

This though bugs me. Don't leave us hanging GF I wanna know the answers to these mysteries =(

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Like the above posts, a Pokemon Z is not going to happen. In fact, it's never going to happen in my opinion.
Masuda has a current motto of "we are always looking to surprise people" and if a Z were to come out, the audience would have expected that. Same with Gen 5 and a "Grey" version, except we got sequels instead (which were amazing). To add on, every third version games are seen as optional purchases, the sales are reduced compared to the two versions. To remedy this, Game Freak wants less optional games in order to have more sales.

If a "Z" or whatever Gen 6 game were to happen, I just feel it would be scrapping the bottom of the barrel since Kalos has such a small roster of new Pokemon and the postgame was underwhelming to me. I really don't know what they'd add apart from Zygarde story and maybe Battle Frontier.

As for the Gen 6 mysteries, let's just hope SM will have them; I'm not too bothered about them to be honest.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I'm going to agree and say that Z is not a possibility. We haven't had a 3rd version since Gen 4, and it looks like GF is aiming to surprise, coming up with things we wouldn't expect, such as B2W2.

As for the leftover unanswered questions and mysteries of X and Y such as the ghost girl and the Power Plant, I have this crazy feeling that Sun and Moon will answer everything. Especially if the region the games take place in allow some sort of access to Kalos, maybe for post-game and dealing with Zygarde's formes (Episode Z, perhaps?). I already feel like Sun and Moon are XY's Gold and Silver, so I doubt we'd ever get any third versions from here on out, in favor of more surprising reveals such as Sun and Moon.

Years
It's quite unlikely that there'll be a third version, as has been noted.

However, the possibility may still exist for further editions.

They may have felt it wasn't sufficient for release in an anniversary year.

They seem to be slightly wary of the third-version format since Black and White, though, and we'll see if they attempt it again this time. If not, hopefully there will be an unofficial game made named 'Pluto' to fill that gap.

They might try something similar after S&M, unless they just want to let these Kalos games rest after that, but that is probably not yet determined.

Back