• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
So I've seen a lot of people posting maps in the Screenshot Showcase, but that's not really what it's for. So I'm making this thread for showcasing maps and reviewing them. This is not strict, so you have no obligation to rate the map above you. But if someone does it for you, return the favour as an act of courtesy.

Let me give you one bit of advise though. If you're going to mention tile errors, don't dwell on them too much. They're not a sign of bad mapping. They take about a second to change. Concentrate on the composition and quality of the map.

Just to get the ball rolling, I'll display a map. This is Route One from my game, the space on the right where the decline is, is purposeful.

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Abnegation
I really like the map, its very well done I cant see a way to improve it.

However I don't like the grass tile, its just my personal problem not a big deal I just think the grass tile looks unnatural and kinda like a glass or ice tile would look. Again this is just me. I also like that its not outrageously huge like some of the maps I've seen.

Other than that awesome dude :)

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2012
What program are you using and it looks really good very detailed

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Abnegation
I really like the map, its very well done I cant see a way to improve it.

However I don't like the grass tile, its just my personal problem not a big deal I just think the grass tile looks unnatural and kinda like a glass or ice tile would look. Again this is just me. I also like that its not outrageously huge like some of the maps I've seen.

Other than that awesome dude :)

Exactly my opinion, I really dislike the grass tiles... It's not just your opinion KC, They almost look like they are risen...

I want to post a map myself, but I've forgotten my password on the picture site at the minute haha, will post one when I have the password.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2012
5.jpg

This is my first project ive been learning alot ive gotten pretty good at scripting but the map making is an issue i like constructive criticism but dont be rude Thanks

Riansky

Purr
Years
Obix: Overall idea is good, Its a bit empty but that can be easily fixed. I would suggest you adding some dirth paths/sand paths. Then I wouldn't add wildpokemon grass tiles into map If they are not here for anything special ( Poke Lab or something). Then about trees, I suggest you to "close them" Don't leave that empty space between trees and don't place flowers so randomly. I could suggest more but I'm not best at english and can't describe really well. But fix those things and that map could turn out nice :) Good luck!

Abnegation: Amazing! There is no way to improve that map, everything works well together. Tiles are just amazing, keep it up!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
This map is a classic for most Pokémon players!!
It's for Pokémon Volcano Red :3
Enjoy!
Spoiler:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
This map is a classic for most Pokémon players!!
It's for Pokémon Volcano Red :3
Enjoy!
Spoiler:

I like this map, although the buildings look somewhat out of place, but, that's not really a problem for me, I like this, also want to state, I like Abnegations map too, those are awesome tiles.

Here is my map.
route08.png

I don't know how to get rid of the events and show what they are, so you'll have to deal with it I'm affraid.

This is my Route 08, right is Lavender Town and left would be Saffron City... I like trees and bushes and grass, so this route has changed heavily since the previous games, thus the obvious being, more foliage and 3 new buildings, each building here has something to do with a storyline, also, this route will no longer have any trainers, as seen in previous games, this route also has a Pokémon only to this area.

EDIT: Riansky, I love your siggy, I love Katy Perry haha

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2012
Riansky: Thanks i appreciate the notes, now this one is route 01 of my game

6.jpg

Nickalooose: I like that map (I noticed its for ds should i be making a ds rom hack or a gba whats more popular?) otherwise i really like the map

Nintendork15: It looks good reminds me of the old games haha

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015

6.jpg

Nickalooose: I like that map (I noticed its for ds should i be making a ds rom hack or a gba whats more popular?) otherwise i really like the map

Nintendork15: It looks good reminds me of the old games haha

WHy thank you, it's suppose to, since it's Pallet Town.
As for your map, it's very big and rather empty, I could easily get through there with only a 0.05% of getting a wild battle, When making a map don't be afraid to make some maps small, sometimes it's better and makes more of a challenge because of the grass, and the ledges that are placed look pretty pointless since they're not really in the way, i can walk past them and continue going to the next town easily.
Also, the overall shap of the route, is a bit to blockish in my opinion.
But hey! That's just me. Overall, good job.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2012
No your very right.. Unfortunately it does look blocky, I need opinions though so thank you you for your comment ill go back to the drawing board haha

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Spoiler:

Not much to say for this.
I tried to make it original to other revamps of it.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Abnegation- Lovely! The only thing that sticks out to me is that very decline, so I'm glad you mentioned it. And personally, I like the grass tiles. If I had another critique though, I'd ask about the water. Geographically speaking, how does it form like that? It's quite aesthetic, but are they puddles, or rivers, or.... I'm not sure. XD

Obix- Town: It's a good start, but to me it feels like it lacks purpose. Imagine if you were the original founder of the town- how would you want it to be laid out? Or, if it was something that developed over time, imagine the history. Who settled that area first, which house is theirs, and how did the city and area grow? I think you can do much better.
Route 1: It's a box. :c Nature does not form in boxes! Round out the edges a bit, and then fill in the extra spaces with other plants, rocks, etc. Also, your ledges... aren't doing anything. The space you leave lets the player walk around them anyway. Again, I don't feel much purpose. How did this route form geographically? What obstacles will it present to the player?

Nintendork- I'll comment on both of yours at once. I have much less to say here since the area design isn't your own, though... The thing that bothers me the most is the overlap of the trees. The way they connect looks really awkward to me. The buildings also stand out, but I'm against 3d graphics in 2d environments anyway, so meh. Just my bias, perhaps.

Nickaloose- Ooh, so a Kanto sequel? Interesting. The roof of the blue houses looks awkward to me, but I like the rest of it. I think you have a really nice mash-up of recognizably old features and yet new development. Particularly the buildings, and- that pond where the ledges used to be, right? I don't remember that... The other stand-out to me is your cliff tiles. The edges seem rather repetitive. Maybe make some variations?

And now... My turn.
This is a topic for maps, right? Do they have to be in game ones?
If not, how about... a hand-drawn region map?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Nintendork- I'll comment on both of yours at once. I have much less to say here since the area design isn't your own, though... The thing that bothers me the most is the overlap of the trees. The way they connect looks really awkward to me. The buildings also stand out, but I'm against 3d graphics in 2d environments anyway, so meh. Just my bias, perhaps.

With the designs I tried to stay on the path of Kanto, but I tried to make it seem more natural, by having less blocky paths than the previous appearences of Kanto.
The overlapping trees don't seem to bug me, it's pretty much how it is in the games. I'm trying to add a 3d script to the game i'm doing so the building thing won't be a problem.

here's another map though:
Spoiler:

That bottom of the map is a bit cut off. Dx

Years
^The fence going across the road/path looks rather strange. I would remove that section of road or get rid of the fence

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Nickaloose- Ooh, so a Kanto sequel? Interesting. The roof of the blue houses looks awkward to me, but I like the rest of it. I think you have a really nice mash-up of recognizably old features and yet new development. Particularly the buildings, and- that pond where the ledges used to be, right? I don't remember that... The other stand-out to me is your cliff tiles. The edges seem rather repetitive. Maybe make some variations?

And now... My turn.
This is a topic for maps, right? Do they have to be in game ones?
If not, how about... a hand-drawn region map?

Yeah, it's what happened after the red era, after Team Rocket has been and gone, the 2 buildings at the bottom are only "half" built, they get fully constructed during game play, thus to make the illusion the region is still being built, and the smaller trees to show they've been growing a few years, but not a long enough time to be large... What looks awkward about the rooves? I'm trying to keep the game familiar with a few extra fundamentals to give a totally new experience, that's the plan anyway... Nope that pond is new ;), also, as it is as shallow as you'd think, bein a new addiyion and all, this is unsurfable ;), SURF works differently in my game... I know the mountains have a repetetive look, at the moment, I have a lot of other graphical things to work on, before I fumble onto minor edits, I have however frew a lot of tiles myself, wether they are small or large edit's, I hope they are not fully recognisable to you guys so you get a nice original feel.

Is thar drawing going to be your region or?

6.jpg

I agree with Nintendork, bit big and open, the areas seem blocky and the ledges are almost pointless, it's a good idea, I think it needs more obstacles, but I like foliage and this may not be your style, and how you've designed, is... I do however think, this size of route should be more of a route 02 kind of thing, Route 01 is almost straight forward, although saying that, this is straight forward, I'm kind of confusing myself and I hope you get the point I'm trying to make.

EDIT:

With the designs I tried to stay on the path of Kanto, but I tried to make it seem more natural, by having less blocky paths than the previous appearences of Kanto.
The overlapping trees don't seem to bug me, it's pretty much how it is in the games. I'm trying to add a 3d script to the game i'm doing so the building thing won't be a problem.

here's another map though:
Spoiler:

That bottom of the map is a bit cut off. Dx

The trees up the top over lap wrong... I like the new look to Viridian City... It may be my eyes right now, but the path almost looks like it's above everything else, noticable by the 2 signs in the middle and the grass under, by the PokéCenter... I like how you haven't over used trees by the water, +1 for that, +1 for trees around the PokéCenter, I can't stress enough on how so many people are scared for putting trees inside a town or city... +1 for new location of the gym, whether it's only moved a few tiles or not... +1 on the water area, looks nice... I don't like the fence that goes over the path near the top... And the fence that looks like a backwards C, looks well strange, like it finishes before it was finished... I don't like lamposts but this isn't a problem... I like foliage, but there are too many flowers by the PokéMart for my liking... I also think you should draw some different signs as those ones are used alot here and I feel I'd need a change from important signs to less important ones (Important: area name... Less important: someones house).

Overall, I like it haha

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2012
7.jpg

Okay I've taken what you guys and gals have said this is what i got out of it took me like 30 mins just a rough sketch how is this one

Some of you might think ive over done it with the flowers but im thinking more wildflowers if i went out in my back yard in the woods there would be different and many kind of them but i live in Texas but again opinions please this is the only thing holding me back on my project is map editing scripting pretty easy but im still learning

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
7.jpg

Okay I've taken what you guys and gals have said this is what i got out of it took me like 30 mins just a rough sketch how is this one

Some of you might think ive over done it with the flowers but im thinking more wildflowers if i went out in my back yard in the woods there would be different and many kind of them but i live in Texas but again opinions please this is the only thing holding me back on my project is map editing scripting pretty easy but im still learning

Much better, although, you've used the wrong trees, the top parts of the tree have a bottom part of another tree, find the other tree that doesn't have that... Otherwise, good map... The flowers are fine how they are, I like that those bunched flowers are together and the rest are spread out.

EDIT: The sand needs grass all around, you're missing a bit at the top

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2012
Good eye haha on the grass but what do you mean which trees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back