• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
@karatekid: Unfortunately, TMs cannot be used that way. Master Balls, Max Repels and some other things can be put into key items and they really act like you have infinite amount of them, but TMs do not work, believe me, I tried it myself when I was bored ;)

Okay, good to know. This is actually probably a good topic on items in general. What makes some infinite and others not?

While I'm here, I just finished playing Beta 2 of Pokemon Naranja and I would really like to see the game finished. The last beta was some wheres around 2005, so a pretty long time ago. I don't have any progressing hacks at the moment so I wanted to maybe take up the project if Serg!o wasn't going to finish it. He hasn't been on PC since the summer, so does anyone know another means of communicating with him?

And yes, I do know I would have to do it in Spanish:)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Okay, good to know. This is actually probably a good topic on items in general. What makes some infinite and others not?
I believe every item beside TMs/HMs and Key Items can be made infinite by adding them into Key Items pouch... but TMs seem to have some sort of coding that makes them unusuable when they are moved to another bag pouch than the TM one.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I believe every item beside TMs/HMs and Key Items can be made infinite by adding them into Key Items pouch... but TMs seem to have some sort of coding that makes them unusuable when they are moved to another bag pouch than the TM one.

Do you think that this has to do with item itself, or maybe that pocket of the bag is coded differently? It's the only pocket that mixes reusable and non-reusable items. So, maybe, the THs/HMs are coded so that their code lines up with that pockets code and one can't be used without the other.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2012
I have virtualy no experience modding GBA games but i have a really basic idea for a pokemon hack, could someone experienced PM me i just want to know if my idea is even possible.

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
I was wondering since kyledove has so much tilesets for hoen region, why don't anybody make a rombase for the RSE with more looking 3d tilesets?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
I was wondering since kyledove has so much tilesets for hoen region, why don't anybody make a rombase for the RSE with more looking 3d tilesets?

Because, depending on the tiles (this is the main problem I have in tile inserting, dunno about others), the pallette restriction of 15 colours and 1 transparent makes it harder to make it look right. Either that or that Kyledove's tiles are more suited for RMXP for a similar reason. I dunno, it's just hard to fit so many good tiles that should fit into one pallette (like grass and trees) into one pallette sometimes. You could always try it yourself and see how you go.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
So um... Has anyone here done much with the ruby rom with debug mode? Just found out about it myself, and kinda wanted to know if anyone had toyed with it yet. It certainly looks useful for ram offsets at the very least.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
So um... Has anyone here done much with the ruby rom with debug mode? Just found out about it myself, and kinda wanted to know if anyone had toyed with it yet. It certainly looks useful for ram offsets at the very least.

What is Ruby? That's a weird way to spell FireRed.
More seriously though, it seems pretty useful and interesting.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
btw I did this the other day:

That sounds awesome, do you compose those yourself? Good work my man, good work.

Anyways, I was wondering, roughly how many hacks do you play a month?
I personally played 3-4 since joining, and played some of the more mainstream hacks before joining (shiny gold and the likes).

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Those are songs directly from Pokemon White 2, he made a Sound Player that runs SDAT files.

Which is pretty awesome.

Welp, I don't know what I'm talking about :D
Isn't there existing programs to run such files? I'd imagine there were, bu then again I'd quote what I said a line ago.

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2013
Im a noob at hacking, i can do some stuff with advance map but i really want to learn scripting. Can anybody halp? Im hacking ruby and here is what i want to do for the first town.

I want to get the starters in the professors lab rather than saving him from a poocheyana. When I try to delete those events part of them happen, after I talk to may the kid says "I can hear someone shouting" and I am forced to go into the area but I deleted the bag and everything so I would be stuck there, and if I try to leave its says "Don't leave me" or something like that.

What I am asking is, since I deleted those events why are they still happening.

Last edited:

MiniBubblechu

Simple Fangirl
Years
Hey, guys.
I'm not sure if someone has asked this already, or if it's on the thread. I haven't been able to find anything though on the web, so I'm hoping someone can give me some useful advice.
I'm also not familiar with posting via forums, so yeah.. Just a heads up if I'm doing anything wrong. Please, kindly correct me.

Anyways.
I want to make a rom hack with 4th Generation games (diamond, pearl, heartgold.. Mostly HG) BUT, I do not know what program to use, or how to find it. I know of the program SDSME, but I can't even get that to work.

Would anyone be able to kindly pin-point me in the right direction to a working DS rom hacker, if there is one?

I wanted to generally avoid using E/R/S/LG/FR, just an fyi, hehe.

Thanks a ton in advanced.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Hey, guys.
I'm not sure if someone has asked this already, or if it's on the thread. I haven't been able to find anything though on the web, so I'm hoping someone can give me some useful advice.
I'm also not familiar with posting via forums, so yeah.. Just a heads up if I'm doing anything wrong. Please, kindly correct me.

Anyways.
I want to make a rom hack with 4th Generation games (diamond, pearl, heartgold.. Mostly HG) BUT, I do not know what program to use, or how to find it. I know of the program SDSME, but I can't even get that to work.

Would anyone be able to kindly pin-point me in the right direction to a working DS rom hacker, if there is one?

I wanted to generally avoid using E/R/S/LG/FR, just an fyi, hehe.

Thanks a ton in advanced.
Well, a DS game is not a best one to start with if you want to find out how to create rom hacks, simply because of the rom image being large and not so well-documented. In case you want to hack pokemon and not use Gen III, you could always try out Gen I or II too.

But in any case, if you're wanting to make a rom hack of a game not for Gen III (or pretty much, not for FireRed or Ruby), you're going to have to learn how to go on on your own, without "tool-help" from others.

Game-modification tools are used to re-write data somewhere inside the rom, in an user-friendly way. So you could use YAPE (I think) to edit stats of a certain pokemon in Pokemon FireRed. By doing this, you're actually re-writing bytes of the rom file. And the same thing could be achieved (quite easily as well) by downloading a tool called hex editor, using "Go to offset" function to go to the offset where the stats of that pokemon are located (this requires that you know what the offset is!) and re-writing stuff there.

Most (or if not all the) things a newbie at rom hacking (basic hex editing knowledge, maybe knowing how to look for certain types of data structures on his/her own) would be able to do using a hex editor can be achieved using game-specific tools for FireRed or Ruby. That's because there have been so many people wanting to make tools for it, so we've simply got all we need.

If you want to go for editing some other game, you'll have to learn how to use a hex editor instead. This is not hard though! It just takes a little bit of patience. And you know what, it's much more rewarding too!

Feel free to check out my video series I've got linked to my signature. I wouldn't want to be "advertising" them but they are good. You should get the hang of basic hacking processes already by watching the first part of it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
Hey I am new so if anyone can give me support that be great

I am not that old i know most of the rom hackers are older but i can catch up to them help in chat thanks

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Hey guys! I just thought of this:

Why do we hack Pokemon ROMS? Why don't we just make/develop our own GBA ROM using coding (HomeBrew) etc.? We can just make one engine similar to the one Pokemon uses so we can still use the tools they made for Pokemon ROM Hacking. We can make it so that it reads the same scripting language XSE uses. We can make a custom .ini for it for use of other programs. I know it's hard but I know everyone would benefit from it because we can make custom features (Overworld battles, Fully Custom Intro Animation, Support for more Pokemon that a 32mb ROM can support, etc.)

~robin22gongon

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2015
So, I tried to make a ROM asking questions but I cant see it so I guess I am doing something wrong.

Anyways, I do not hack ROMs but being a Pokeman fan since a child (only anime, never had a Nitendo console and have only played FireRed, Emerald, Black and White series and PMD on emulators the last 2 years)

So, recently, after reading a creepy pasta I found out that you guys hack Roms and have been browsing this forums for the last 2 days.

Ok, so, is there any ROM HACK that lets you start with any Pokemon you want or is 3 the magic number that must be used in every Pokemon game? (seems like it)

Also, do you guys need to patch game ROMs or do it for legal reasons?

And finally, I read some stickies and saw that you must have
1) The game ROM
2) The hack (patch)
3) An emulatour
4) A patcher

So, which emulators should I use? Is there a specific one that works better or anyone will work? And one final question. Does 1 patcher work for everything or do I have to donwload different ones? (I read something about .ISU and .ASU that need different programs to patch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back