• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The future of Pokemon generation games- what do you want to see?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
What features- new or old- do you guys want to see in Pokemon Z or future generation games?
What old trainers/ Gym leaders do you want to see return in new games?

In my opinion, one feature I'd love to see in Pokemon Z or future gen games even beyond that- Gym Leaders Conference! Where you'd run into all the gym leaders from past games and regions in whatever new region you'd be exploring, and they'd all be gathered in a certain area that they meet in for a conference twice a year, and you'd get to battle them all, once their gym leader conference is over, before they all go back to whatever regions they came from.

Some trainers I'd love to see make some cameos...definitely Eusine from Crystal. Gods, I loved him and his character design back in the day, and still do, to this day. There's no reason, that I can think of, why Nintendo and Game freak couldn't have in appear- even if momentarily- in whatever new region you're forced to explore in future gen games. Like you'd run into him as you're coming out the PokeCenter, and learn he's in the new region to see a friend or on an errand or something. Maybe they could throw Suicume a bone and give him a mega evo, like they did with the legendary mewtwo, and toss Eusine in the Kalos region to have him brush up on the mega stones and expand his knowledge about Suiciune and the change it could undergo if he ever tracked it down and captured it. (poor guy's been looking well over 10 years now. It'd be nice if he actually managed to get it and have it on his team, by now)

And Red. Future games definitely need more Red. Because he's pure win. It's not enough anymore to battle him at Mt. Moon, which isn't even assessable in most games now, because stupid GameFreak decided to drop the idea of no longer traveling to different regions on the ever-awesome Magnet Train! THANK YOU, GAME FREAK! D:< But seriously, I want to interact with Red. I want to partner up with him, even even for a small side-quest, and fight alongside him, and later, be able to fight against him, and test my skills as a trainer, more than once. I want to learn more of his story (is he still pursuing Mew, as seen from Pokemon the Origins? Has he completed other regions' pokedex's? Has he begun to settle down, retiring from being a pokemon trainer, and pass the torch of being a trainer onto his kid?)

And Wes (from Pokemon Colosseum). He was right up there on the awesomeness scale as Red. Maybe a half tier below. He needs to show up in a future main gen game, for sure. (or at least give me the opportunity to buy his clothes from those silly clothing stores they've got, now! Red's too) I know that was only a spinoff game, it's still Pokemon, so it could happen.

One more thing I'd hope to see in future games.....Pokemon fusion evolution- This, like Mega evolution, could be temporary and only in battles. Maybe restricted to double battles only. I'd kill puppies to see an evolution through Deoxys & Porygon-Z fusion. OMFG! I mean, a mutated space virus Pokemon fusing with a virtual program Pokemon? How ****ing epic would their evolution be?! I bet their evolution form would be a legit Missingno as an actual pokemon. Just legit glitch central. XD XD XD

Another thing I hope to see in future gen games. More frikkin' fire/ dark and fire/ ghost types! I can't stress this enough. I love fire, dark, and ghost types the most, and it pains me that the only dual type pokemon that have either combination are Houndour line, and the Litwick evolutionary line. And it certainly wouldn't hurt, I think, to see more fire-types with blue flames, or bodily coloration, rather than the standard yellow/ red/ orange coloration that more fire types go with.

Next thing I wanna see....a frikin' dragon-type Eeveelution! I don't understand why there wasn't one in X or Y, with the new introduction of the Fairy type. Espeon anf Umbreon both came out in the same generation, to serve as counterparts to each other, so it would've made sense that there would've been a dragon-type Eeveelution in the 6th gen to serve as Slyveon's counterpart. I'm so disappointed that there wasn't, and can only hope that we'll be seeing on when Pokemon Z hits store shelves.

Last, but certainly not least- a true "Pokemon Origins" series game. At one point, I believe that the Pokemon games used to follow the Pokemon manga, but very loosely. Now that Pokemon Origins, the anime has come out, as short as it was, it was a much needed step to tell the story of Red, who the anime was supposed to follow, and not Ash. The older RBY games didn't necessarily tell the story of Red how it should've been, which was shown more accurately through the Pokemon Adventures manga. The Pokemon Adventures Red: The story of Red hack video on YT kind of does that nicely, but does anyone else want an official "Pokemon Origins" game released by GF and Nintendo, that truly tells Red's story, down to every detail that occurs in the "Adventures" manga? From playing as Red, starting out with a Poliwag at the beginning of the game, being saved from drowning by it as it evolves into Poliwhirl, entering Prof. Oak's lab and accidentally releasing all the pokemon, overhearing Team Rocket talking about Mew, fighting over a Kanghaskan in Viridian forest with Blue, ect ect. And for the origins game to be just as dark and gritty as the Adventures manga, like the creator intended the Pokemon world to be.

I feel it'd also be a nice touch to the "origins" game if it were ever made, for it to have the attacks that the manga did, like Pikachu's learning surf, toxic, bide, rage, and Mega Volt, the 10x's stronger version of Thunderbolt.

Honorable mentioned new/ old features I want to see:
More racial diversity in trainers
The return of snagging (and maybe even purifying) Pokemon, like in Colosseum, but in main series games
Being able to work for the evil organizations, perhaps starting out as one within their ranks at the beginning of the game
The first slot Pokemon out of its pokeball, following the protagonist
Option to ride a pokemon through the course of gameplay, and not restricted to certain instances
Single-player double battles to take over as the norm for standard battling (and starting out with 2 pokemon, like in Colosseum, instead of 1)
Multi-generational trading. In this age of tech, there should be no reason why I can't trade between my 3ds to DSi or Game Cube or GBA or GBC. It. Should. Be. Done.
Pokemon Box sets that resell old gen games 1-3 formatted for the DS or 3ds. Epicness for the oldbies, like myself.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
To be honest, I want to see a remake of Emerald.
That would be a blast!
Hmm. Ive been seeing more people want a R/ S remake more than Emerald, actually. Not that Emerald shouldn't get one...
I'd like a Yellow remake, myself.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Hmm. Ive been seeing more people want a R/ S remake more than Emerald, actually. Not that Emerald shouldn't get one...

It'll probably be just a little change of events but Emerald is somewhat compared events
with the Ruby & Sapphire. Yeah, Yellow remake is fine as well, brings back my childhood memories^^

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I definitely agree with the Shadow Pokemon aspect. Having that in the main game would be pretty cool. I'm not sure how you'd work that in with becoming the champion, as with Colosseum and XD your Pokemon options were limited, but I can definitely see as great storyline and just overall game with the Shadow Pokemon mechanics.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
I would love to see a 3rd person 3D pokemon game, in which you could take control of the pokemon in battle and fight. With day and night time too. Of course, that would require a new console. I guess they haven't done it so far, because it is too expensive and they 're making enough money anyway, otherwise they would have done it. Almost every other game nowadays is like this.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 2, 2022
One more thing I'd hope to see in future games.....Pokemon fusion evolution- This, like Mega evolution, could be temporary and only in battles. Maybe restricted to double battles only. I'd kill puppies to see an evolution through Deoxys & Porygon-Z fusion. OMFG! I mean, a mutated space virus Pokemon fusing with a virtual program Pokemon? How ****ing epic would their evolution be?! I bet their evolution form would be a legit Missingno as an actual pokemon. Just legit glitch central. XD XD XD
o_O ...
Well, as great as the idea of a mutated space virus Pokémon or a legit Missingo sounds I would dislike Pokémon fusions.

Last, but certainly not least- a frikin' dragon-type Eeveelution! I don't understand why there wasn't one in X or Y[...]
To be honest, I think there are more than enough Eeveelutions already. It was neat back in the day to have a Pokémon that can become a water-, a fire- or a electric Pokémon and I was okay with Espeon and Umbreon, since they used them to introduce the idea of evolving by happiness and the idea of different evolutions at day and night, but I think we have enough.
I mean, I wouldn't complain if they are making even more Eevee evolutions (I would just ignore it), but it's not needed at all, if you ask me.

Honorable mentioned new/ old features I want to see:
More racial diversity in trainers
Yes, I agree completely. Now that there is character costumization it's only logical that people want the ingame character to look like themselves. You really should have more options related to the face/skin.

The first slot Pokemon out of its pokeball, following the protagonist
Extremely overrated feature if you ask me. I don't understand why everyone wants this.

there should be no reason why I can't trade between my 3ds to DSi or Game Cube or GBA or GBC. It. Should. Be. Done.
Yes, absolutely.

Pokemon Box sets that resell old gen games 1-3 formatted for the DS or 3ds. Epicness for the oldbies, like myself.
Meh. I mean, yeah sure it's nice to play the originals once in a while, but you can also just get a GBA with the real cartrdige for a bit of money. So I don't necessarily need that.
I would actually rather see a 3DS that can actually play Game Boy cartridges.
But I don't dislike the idea.

Other than that what I would really like to see with future Pokémon games:
- Smaller portions of new Pokémon
- Big variety of captureable Pokémon from all gens
- Rather than something like mega evolutions I would prefer to see regular evolutions for Pokémon that don't have evolutions yet (Not baby evolutions though)

And of course it would always be nice to have more than 1 region to explore and more than 8 badges to obtain in one game, like it was in silver/gold/crystal.

-- Matt

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Hoo boy, I was waiting for a thread like this, because I have a lot on my mind :) . There are a couple of things I would like to see happen in the future:

• New Pokémon: keep them coming. What made Black and White great for me was the complete absence of old Pokémon during the main campaign, because it really made me feel like I was discovering the series all over again. It was a sense of wonder I thought I could not feel again with any Pokémon game since Gen 1, but Black and White proved me wrong :). I really hope they will create another game like this.
  • More differences between versions.Two ideas they should explore IMO:
    • Ruby and Sapphire had different alignments for Team Aqua and Team Magma, Gen 5 had different aspects of Opelucid City and Black City/White Forest... which is a good start, but let's make more pronounced differences in future paired versions. For instance, they could have the same region, but the road through it could be different depending on the version: imagine if you come to a road with two exits, in one version a Snorlax or Sudowoodo blocks one exit, in another version the Pokémon blocks the other exit, forcing you to take a different path. Some Gyms could be version exclusive: for instance in one version, one of the Gym Leaders retires and closes his or her gym, in another version a completely different Gym Leader does the same thing...
    • This will seem contradictory with my wish of another generation with only new Pokémon, but how about this: we now have over 700 Pokémon, so why on Earth do X and Y only have 20 version exclusives each? You have over 700 mons to work with, and with the internet the problem of a player having one version and none of his or her friends having the other doesn't exist anymore. Why not raise the number of version exclusives to hundreds, or, better yet, how about making completely different faunas in both versions? Imagine two versions of Pokémon with the same starters and one or two plot-relevant Pokémon being the same, but that's it; the first route has Pidgey, Rattata and Spearow in one version, and Starly, Sentret and Hoothoot in the other; the first forest has Caterpie, Venonat, Heracoss and Pachirisu in one version and Weedle, Combee, Pinsir and Dedenne in the other; the first cave has Geodude, Diglett, Zubat and Meditikka in one version, and Roggenrola, Drilbur, Woobat and Makuhita in the other etc.
  • Another split in moves. HMs suck. This is a known fact :) . But they can be fixed by splitting the moves in two categories: battle moves (where most moves go) and terrain moves (where HMs go) . Every Pokémon could be able to learn 4 of each, and terrain moves wouldn't be usable in battle. Just like when Gen 4 introduced counterparts for some moves (like "Giga Impact" which was the physical counterpart to "Hyperbeam", which itself became a special move) , battle moves with the same effects as present-day HM moves and with more fitting names could be introduced. For instance, the present-day move "Surf" could be split into a terrain move called "Surf" which would allow the player to travel on water, and an in-battle move called... let's call it "Tidal Wave". Removing "Tidal Wave" to teach a new move would still allow the Pokémon to use "Surf" outside of battle. With a system like this, the concept of HM slaves would go away completely, you would have a team of six Pokémon, each one with four actually good in-battle moves, yet at the same time knowing all of the HM moves you'll ever need, just not able to use them in battle.
  • Bring back the Pokétch. The Pokétch was a great idea, because it allowed us to choose what we wanted to display on the bottom screen, and we had a lot of options to choose from. For instance, I like to constantly display on the bottom screen the status of my team, and it helps when you're trying to farm items using Pickup, you can immediately know which Pokémon is holding an item; when I was catching roaming legendaries, I could switch to the map and not have to select it every time I went from one location to another... I could go on and on, here's the short version: I think that D/P/Pt were the only games where the bottom DS screen was used well. Not because I didn't like how it was used in more recent games, but above all because with the Pokétch, we used to have a lot of options as to what to display on the bottom screen.
  • Event exlusives... they have to go. I know I've been going on about this for some time now. My problem with event exclusives is, basically, not the fact that people can't go to events or anything, because now we have Wi-Fi events, which is cool for people like me who, at their age, don't really want to be seen attending such events :) . My problem is the mere concept that in order to really complete your Pokédex without the very obvious blank spaces, which a Pokémon professor in severe denial will ignore and claim the Pokédex as "complete" even though it isn't, you need outside help, it is not something that can be done by simply spending time and effort even if you buy all paired versions. And it keeps getting worse, from what I hear, X and Y will have their own event exclusives... we already had 13 of those, Game Freak, why do you keep adding them? I honestly think Game Freak should acknowledge how ridiculous this is getting and do something about it, unless they do this intentionally to troll people who can't go to events.
    Can this problem be fixed? Absolutely:
    • The solution that is the most obvious: make them catchable in-game! It's not like we were in Game Boy days where the species and maybe an exclusive move were the only things that could make a Pokémon received via event special. Nowadays we have Pokémon with different forms and/or rare abilities, Shiny Pokémon, event-exclusive Mega-Evolutions, the fact that the Pokémon is in a Cherish Ball already gives some bragging rights. Doing this doesn't bother me, because not getting a special form of a Pokémon, or a Mega Evolution doesn't leave a gap in the Pokédex. Making a Pokémon catchable in the game doesn't stop Game Freak from keeping some forms event-exclusive. For instance, a regular Deoxys could become capturable in-game, but the Attack, Defense and Speed Deoxys could remain event-exclusive.
    • Another way could be this: once the Pokédex is complete sans the event-exclusive Pokémon, the local professor could add the missing Pokémon profiles himself to make it truly complete. That way, Pokédex completionists could be satisfied, and the Pokémon themselves would remain rare and grant the same bragging rights as they do today.
    • The best way to do this IMO would be to reorganize the National Pokédex by removing event exclusives from the numbered list altogether. Chikorita would become number 151, Treecko would become number 250 and so on. Event exclusives would then appear at the very end of the National Pokédex, unnumbered.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2014
I would love to see a 3rd person 3D pokemon game, in which you could take control of the pokemon in battle and fight. With day and night time too. Of course, that would require a new console. I guess they haven't done it so far, because it is too expensive and they 're making enough money anyway, otherwise they would have done it. Almost every other game nowadays is like this.

YES!
I want a new game for the ps3/ps4 that is a third person game, and you can walk around and completely control the player. I want a totally open world game like skyrim but with pokemon. And controlling your pokemon in battle would be epic too. But I just want to be able to walk around through a forest, see a mankey or something and just send my pokemon out and battle it. It would sell sooo much and I would finally be happy, because i personally am not a fan of black/white or x/y. And i'm not a huge fan of diamond and pearl either, although i have enjoyed them before.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
YES!
I want a new game for the ps3/ps4 that is a third person game, and you can walk around and completely control the player. I want a totally open world game like skyrim but with pokemon. And controlling your pokemon in battle would be epic too. But I just want to be able to walk around through a forest, see a mankey or something and just send my pokemon out and battle it. It would sell sooo much and I would finally be happy, because i personally am not a fan of black/white or x/y. And i'm not a huge fan of diamond and pearl either, although i have enjoyed them before.

THANK YOU.
I was about to think that I was the only one that would even imaging that more so wanting it.
It's what I 've been dreaming for pokemon for years.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
I definitely agree with the Shadow Pokemon aspect. Having that in the main game would be pretty cool. I'm not sure how you'd work that in with becoming the champion, as with Colosseum and XD your Pokemon options were limited, but I can definitely see as great storyline and just overall game with the Shadow Pokemon mechanics.
hm, that would be a problem; trying to work shadow Pokemon in with the E4, since I'm sure you can't be a champion if your Pokemons' hearts are clouded and locked; which contradicts the point of training and bonding with your Pokemon. Personally, once the Elite 4 is involved, I'd like to see the story progress with you (the main character) entering anyway, being qualified with the badges; trying to beat the 1st of the 4 with a shadow Poke' on your team, but them noticing that the Pokemon isn't a normal one (maybe getting attacked by it), and being thrown out before fighting the other 3 of the e4 and the champion, and being sent off with the advice of how to properly bond and fight with pokemon, . A new game region unlocks for the player to go to and finish opening the hearts of the shadow Pokemon, before going back to the old region's E4 as well as trying to beat the new region's e4.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years

One word: No! That's the only game in the entire series I actually hated.

However, RSE remakes are LONG overdue. I remember that someone on another forum actually put forth the idea of Pokemon Ruby 2 and Sapphire 2 games after Pokemon BW2 came out. I think that'd be sort of an interesting concept since they could be follow-ups to what happened after Team Aqua and Magma dissolved themselves. I could imagine sort of a revival of their conflict, but not done so that it just recycles the general "defeat the Team Rocket knockoff" scenario. There could actually be a better backstory to their conflict, like how N actually had a real background in the BW games.

Alternatively, I think there could be an expansion of the whole time-based events in the games. I thought that it would be interesting if the games put a little more pressure on you to progress by making it so you had to defeat certain gym leaders or evil team bosses before a set amount of time passed. If you didn't, then you'd have to do sort of a redemption mission to make up for missing the deadline.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2014
THANK YOU.
I was about to think that I was the only one that would even imaging that more so wanting it.
It's what I 've been dreaming for pokemon for years.

Ya I thought about it a while ago but I never said anything until now. I want to contact gamefreak.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 2, 2022
GengarSlayer;7930758[SIZE=7 said:
][/SIZE]
Even if they did something like that it would never come out on a Sony console.

-- Matt

TouretteUnicorn

Professionally unprofessional
Years
I'd like to see an easier solution to getting max IVS. This, and more detailed stories/character stories are all I desire to have the games become completely enjoyable.

Loads of big and long post game content wouldn't hurt either...

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
They just need to keep on doing what they are doing. It's fine the way it is, a portable game with simple gameplay that you can play anywhere and any time. Recent improvements make the series almost perfect to me.

Also, without the two screens and touch menu, Pokemon would suck.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 2, 2022
Oh, another thing: I would really like the option to nickname traded Pokémon, if they don't already are nicknamed by the original trainer.

-- Matt

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If possible, I'd really like to see give us mutated Pokémon. They'd be a little different compared to an ordinary Pokémon design-wise, and would be as rare as shinies. Mutated Pokémon could also have different stat sets, maybe. For example, Roselia's got a base Special Attack stat of a hundred, and an eighty Special Defense. A mutated Roselia, however, could have it the other way around—its Sp. Def would be one-hundred and its Sp. Attack would be eighty. (: We do have animal mutations in real life, don't we? So why not do the same with Pokémon?

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
If possible, I'd really like to see give us mutated Pokémon. They'd be a little different compared to an ordinary Pokémon design-wise, and would be as rare as shinies. Mutated Pokémon could also have different stat sets, maybe. For example, Roselia's got a base Special Attack stat of a hundred, and an eighty Special Defense. A mutated Roselia, however, could have it the other way around—its Sp. Def would be one-hundred and its Sp. Attack would be eighty. (: We do have animal mutations in real life, don't we? So why not do the same with Pokémon?

Um, animal mutations in the real world are evolution. ;) However, some more multi-branch evolutions would be nice for the current set, as new pokemon for one of the gens.

Mesty

The Joker
Years
A remake of Yellow on the DS and a new Pokemon game on the Wii U. I would love that and since it's on the Wii U they could put a lot more in the game.

Back