• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is my team balanced?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 28, 2015
Hey guys this is team I'm using for the story and battling with friends, nothing competitive. Just wondering if its well balanced.
Magnezone
Claydol
Dodrio
Walrein
Shiftry
Blaziken

Also are there any suggestions as to which items and movesets they should have? I could also swap out Walrein for something else if it doesn't compliment the team well since he's the only one I don't have yet.

Years
You should list your current team's movesets if you want people to help you because without knowing what you have, it can be harder to work out what needs to be fixed and what doesn't.

As far as your team itself goes, it is pretty balanced type-wise, with them all being dual-typed and everything which will allow for great coverage. Walrein isn't too bad so I'd say still go for it, in fact Ice Body can make it quite a good hail abuser plus it'll give you your required Water-type needed to cross the region.

However, given you need Surf to even get to where you find Spheal/Sealeo (Shoal Cave if you're wondering what I'm talking about) you may need to catch some random Water Pokemon to Surf with until you get there.

Shiftry has a lot of weaknesses (7 which is like the most of anything so far) so be careful when up against certain stuff. Thankfully, Blaziken hits hard and so does Magnezone. Claydol is more defensive but its stats are fairly balanced so you can make it run both offenses and defenses at the same time. I'd say you're okay for now, other than the fact you'll need a filler Surf slave to get to Shoal Cave for that future Walrein you are looking for.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 28, 2015
I actually just caught my Sealeo, I was using Tentacool to surf around. But my current movesets are:
Sealeo: Surf, Rest, Snore, Dive
Dodrio: Fly, Pursuit, Pluck, Double Hit
Magneton: Spark, Tri Attack, Electro Ball, Flash Cannon
Claydol: Rock Tomb, Psybeam, Extrasensory, Hyper Beam
Blaziken: Flame Charge, Blaze Kick, Rock Smash, Double Kick
Shiftry: Leaf Blade, Feint Attack, Swagger, Hurricane

OliDSi

Pokemon Friend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 7, 2015
Teach Sealeo Ice Beam and you're OK! You have actually found a good combination of Pokemon. :)

Years
As Oli said, an Ice move would be recommended for Walrein given one of the Elite Four members, Drake has a lot of Ice weaknesses, including around 3 with a 4x weakness to that.

Also, Double Hit isn't that great for Dodrio. You can pick up the TM for Return in Pacifidlog Town and it'll hit hard due to STAB and high happiness.

Hydralisk

Rookie Champion
Years
This is a good balanced team! I would recommend a different moveset for Blaziken, but ofcourse it's your own choice if you want to use what I have =)

Fire Blast (increased it's PP from 5 to 8, thanks to PP Ups)
Flare Blitz/Blaze Kick (Flare Blitz is stronger than Blaze Kick but does little recoil damage and learned at 63... so Blaze Kick is great too)
Brave Bird (for some reason, it'll learn this move at level 50. Also does recoil damage, depending on how much damage you deal on the opponent.)
Sky Uppercut (Much stronger Fighting-type move, to replace Double Kick.)

These moves do need some training and leveling up. I don't know what level you are now with your Pokemon but you have a nice team!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 2, 2016
I actually just caught my Sealeo, I was using Tentacool to surf around. But my current movesets are:

Sealeo - I'd go with what others have said and give him Ice Beam. You can find the TM for it in Sea Mauville now that you have Dive.

Dodrio - Replace Pluck with Drill Peck when you get to level 41 and get the TM for Return like Hikamaru said

Magneton - At level 43 replace Spark with Discharge. It has a 30% chance to paralyse (or paralyze if you're American) the target and once it does, Electro Ball will hit them much harder with their speed plummeting from the paralysis.

Claydol - At level 40 you can replace Psybeam with Earth Power. I'd personally go Extrasensory/Shadow Ball/Calm Mind/Earth Power. If you've beaten Tate and Liza you get the TM for Calm mind from them and the TM for Shadow Ball can be obtained at the top of Mt. Pyre. (On the inside)

Blaziken - If you have any Heart Scales I'd fly back to Fallarbor Town and teach Blaziken either Flare Blitz or High Jump Kick (Or both if you have more than one) But I know some people don't like recoil moves, so you could go with a moveset of High Jump Kick/Blaze Kick/Bulk Up/**Insert any move of choice here**

Shiftry - Looks good! A lot of people don't like Hurricane because of it's low accuracy but I like using it through the story. I'd maybe have growth over Swagger but that's just me!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 7, 2015

This team looks pretty good. some basic changes I might make are:

Swap Psybeam on Claydol for Earth Power since it's a strong STAB move and you have no ground type moves at all on your team, and it's a very good type offensively. Rock Tomb would be much better replaced by Ancient Power if you want to keep a rock type attack, or Shadow Ball to deal with ghosts that can threaten Claydol (I would replace Hyper Beam with Calm Mind as well but that's just my preference).

Swap Dive for Ice Beam on Sealeo. A very solid STAB move that hits a majority of fully evolved dragons for 4x damage (all the flying/dragon types and Garchomp and Flygon too)

Blaziken's move set isn't that great. Flare Blitz/High Jump Kick/Brave Bird would be great options, but if you don't like recoil/crash damage you should consider Blaze Kick, Sky Uppercut, Drain Punch or Power-Up Punch as well as other moves. If this is the HA Blaziken, or Mega Blaziken, Power-Up Punch is a really good move for gaining unstoppable momentum.

Replace Feint Attack on Shiftry with Knock Off. More power, more utility, just an all around great move.

Replace Spark on Magneton with a better special Electric move of your choice when possible. Discharge for paralysis chance, Thunderbolt for more damage, Thunder if you're not afraid of lower accuracy. Zap Cannon only if you're a true daredevil (I highly suggest not trying this).

Replace Pluck and Double Hit on Dodrio. Drill Peck is a better flying type move, Return or Thrash are better normal moves. Considering you already have Fly though you don't really need another physical Flying type move, so I would go with Knock Off for the utility, high damage on item holders, and more type coverage. If you want both Drill Peck and Fly, you can replace Pursuit with Knock Off, as it does more damage and no enemy ai trainers will switch out.

Back