• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I've noticed that if I set a trainertype's pre-battle ME in the PBS file, and the battle begins while the ME is still playing, Essentials will stop playback of the ME and fail to load the battle BGM. This occurs both with midis and mp3s/wavs. If the ME is allowed to play all the way through before the battle begins, such that the regular BGM resumes playing, things will proceed as expected.

I'm not really sure why this occurs, but I can say for sure that it kind of defeats the purpose of having an encounter ME if it stops other music from playing unless it finishes first. Any suggestions?

I am using PE v13 and I am using pre-battle ME's just fine.
It must be a problem on your end.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
It occurs in a clean Essentials build as well, FWIW. There's a chance I've done it incorrectly but I don't believe there much opportunity to do so. It should simply be a matter of inserting a string equal to the filename of an ME into the seventh field and then recompiling, no? The rest should be handled by the pbTrainerIntro based on that data.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Yes, I did. Starting a new file had no effect. I wonder if it is related to the unusually long time it takes to load audio at random times. This often occurs the first time an audio file is played after beginning execution. I had thought this might have been just my computer performing poorly, but now with this second issue...

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Yes, I did. Starting a new file had no effect. I wonder if it is related to the unusually long time it takes to load audio at random times. This often occurs the first time an audio file is played after beginning execution. I had thought this might have been just my computer performing poorly, but now with this second issue...
I have only had the music take a longtime to load when I'm using midi's, but mp3's seem to work fine - I also thought I was the only one to have that problem

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
The battle themes are all midis, and the MEs I've tested include both midis and mp3s/wavs. Also, I'll note that the aforementioned 'long time to load' problem hangs the game while occuring, so I know the missing battle BGM isn't loading at all as opposed to just still loading.

tImE

Years
Well, I am using MP3's for all my music, so that might be it.

Try substituting your BGM and Intro-ME with placeholder music in mp3 format, and see if that works.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Hmm, quite curious. I did as you said and substituted the map BGM, intro ME, and battle BGM with three different mp3 files and all functioned correctly. Furthermore, there wasn't so much as a single second of lag or hang time when they were played. It sounds to me like either Essentials or RMXP itself has a problem handling midi files.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
It's Windows 7 (and presumably 8), actually, that can't deal with midi. As far as I understand it, they no longer have native support for midi files, so they have to "render" the whole midi file before they can play them. This takes time.

Wav is the quickest audio format to use, but obviously it's also the biggest in file size.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Hmm, that's quite interesting. I hadn't even considered that that could be a problem, much less that it would be. I guess it's time to figure out some mp3/wav replacement files. Thanks for pointing that out, Maruno.

tImE

Years
Off-Topic, but while we're still on the topic of soundfiles:
Whenever an mp3 file is loaded (when I transfer to, enter an area or an event starts it) a weird snap or static sound is played, before the actual song or sound starts for me.
Is this a problem with Essentials, RMXP or Windows, and is it fixable? Also, does the same happen to .wav files?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
Enemy Spearow's sprite disappears when it uses Aerial Ace. Not sure if this bug affect every enemy that uses Aerial Ace or if it's only Spearow, just happened to notice it when testing my game.

EDIT: It reappeared during the following round, after being hit by my attack.

Not sure if it matters, but the first move I used was Dragon Rage, when it disappeared, and Ember when it reappeared. I was using a Charmeleon

I found this same problem too. When the opponent uses Aerial Ace with a Heracross, the Heracross disappears from the screen. If the Heracross moves first, the attack of my Ralts/Combusken/Whismur (tried several times) is skipped (although Whismur fainted before being able to attack). Ralts fainted from one of the second Aerial Ace, and disappeared as well (right before fainting).

Because I didn't see this answered yet, I decided to post it again. I did my own research: I did not find Aerial Ace in the code (in a place other than just a list [compiler: def pbTMRS, around line 1528; PokemonOrgBattleGenerator: def addMove, around line 47]), and Aerial Ace seems to work using it myself with a Poochyena (debuged it to the poor fellow). Thus, I suspect the problem to lie within the animation (there is a separate animation for the opponent), but I did not find a solution. I am not so familiar (yet) with creating/adjusting animations. Any help?

Regards,

dexter1o6

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2016
Has anyone had weird errors with the animation pack that is currently included in v13? For some animations, such as defense curl and harden, the animation cels appear at the upper left hand corner of the screen as oppose to center when playtesting both my game and another fangame that I recently picked up. Other animations like growl or sand-attack don't seem to leave the center of the allied battler, and instead clump together weirdly.

What's weird about this is that when I play each default animation in the editor, they work perfectly, and every cel appears at the right position.

i'm having the same thing with the animations, from what i've seen its mainly those that change stats, though i've also noticed the opponent version of sand attack points upwards not downwards
This is the same problem I've noticed, yet while playing through Pokemon Zeta, he seems to have all his move effects aligned properly, agility works well same with smokescreen and string shot!
Currently I believe string shot animation appears on the pokemon using it and the rest are shot somewhere off to the top left. Does anyone know or can direct me to the bug fix, assuming there is one since in Zeta it works fine :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
This is the same problem I've noticed, yet while playing through Pokemon Zeta, he seems to have all his move effects aligned properly, agility works well same with smokescreen and string shot!
Currently I believe string shot animation appears on the pokemon using it and the rest are shot somewhere off to the top left. Does anyone know or can direct me to the bug fix, assuming there is one since in Zeta it works fine :)

I don't know a bug fix, but I imagine that if you export the default animation, delete it, then re-import it back in to essentials it might work fine, since I think it's a problem only with the default animations.

I haven't tested this, though.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 15, 2014
Hello! Just joined here. I apologize if this has already been asked but I can't find the search tool for this thread.

I just started making a new game with Essentials today and have encountered a problem. After I select one of my starter Pokemon the game tells me I have received the Pokemon, then the poke ball disappears.

The problem arises when I open the menu and attempt to look at my party by clicking the "Pokemon" button on the menu. I receive this error:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

PokemonParty:341:in `new'

PokemonParty:341:in `initialize'

PokemonParty:614:in `new'

PokemonParty:614:in `pbStartScene'

PokemonParty:612:in `each'

PokemonParty:612:in `pbStartScene'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\David\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Thanks for reading this, and hope you guys can help me!

Last edited:

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Hello! Just joined here. I apologize if this has already been asked but I can't find the search tool for this thread.

I just started making a new game with Essentials today and have encountered a problem. After I select one of my starter Pokemon the game tells me I have received the Pokemon, then the poke ball disappears.

The problem arises when I open the menu and attempt to look at my party by clicking the "Pokemon" button on the menu. I receive this error:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

PokemonParty:341:in `new'

PokemonParty:341:in `initialize'

PokemonParty:614:in `new'

PokemonParty:614:in `pbStartScene'

PokemonParty:612:in `each'

PokemonParty:612:in `pbStartScene'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\David\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Thanks for reading this, and hope you guys can help me!
Did you download the Pokemon pack v1? It has the Pokemon graphics, and you don't, that's why you're getting that error.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 15, 2014
Did you download the Pokemon pack v1? It has the Pokemon graphics, and you don't, that's why you're getting that error.
Oh thanks! I saw that when I was downloading it, but not sure if I needed it! Is there a specific folder I need to put that into? Like the graphics...etc.?

Also I am extremely new to this (Just started yesterday). Are there any video tutorials that can help me learn, or any tutorials in general? I used this: (Edit: Apparently not allowed to post links....His you tube username is Atomic Reactor, he made Pokemon obsidian) to get me started, but wanted to know if there were others out there? Any other sources besides the wikia?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 15, 2014
I downloaded the Pokemon Pack v1, and put it inside the Pokemon essentials folder, but the error still persists. Is it supposed to go inside a specific folder or place?

Edit: Sorry I figured it all out. Thanks for your help.

Just a quick question are there any video tutorials on how to use essentials? Not just simple things but a lot of more complex things?

I will refrain from posting simple questions in this thread now.

Last edited:
Back