• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I don't have a VPN, but I rarely torrent anymore. I just haven't found the need for downloading anything lately.

yeah, same for me too. Lately when I want to watch a show or something like that, I can just find a website where they stream shows and movies for free...and then there's netflix. xD Can't recall the last time I've downloaded a TV show or movie.

Years
yeah, same for me too. Lately when I want to watch a show or something like that, I can just find a website where they stream shows and movies for free...and then there's netflix. xD Can't recall the last time I've downloaded a TV show or movie.
Same for me. I really mostly watch cartoons anyways and I can find websites to just stream those online without the need to download anything onto my computer :p

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Back when I had a destop and a MyBook to store things, I always preferred downloading over streaming. When it's on my hard drive, I can watch it uninterrupted at any time, without an internet connection… not to mention I only have to download it once. Then there's the ability to edit and manipulate the video, which is always useful. :3

What I'd do is I'd start streaming it, and then I'd use a Firefox add-on to download it from the streaming link.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I don't expect my network connection to be stable, seeing as I rely entirely on 3G connections. I prefer offline media by a significantly large degree.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I'm not sure of my connection's stability too, but usually I rely on downloading instead of streaming because my internet speed is not fast enough for me to watch it in stream.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Never had problems with downloading here. I got pretty good internet, so the longest time I had to wait for a download was half an hour. When I had AT&T U-Verse in San Diego, the longest wait time was 3 hours, and I was only downloading a 1 GB folder (comparing to 15 min or so on this internet iirc).

Years
Downloading a gigabyte worth of content usually takes me anywhere between 5-10 minutes at most, and it also depends on the server/mirror I download from as well because sometimes some servers will offer me a download at like 100kb/s while others could offer the same download at 2mb/s

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Speaking of storage, I find myself making use of blank optical media (specifically, of the rewriteable variety) because, well, they're ridiculously cheap and compatible.

Starry Windy

Years
Like DVD-RW or even DVD-RAW? I heard these types of optical media are nice, even though I'm still resorting to DVD-R to store my media. I can even add my files one by one despite using DVD-R for some reason.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Like DVD-RW or even DVD-RAW? I heard these types of optical media are nice, even though I'm still resorting to DVD-R to store my media. I can even add my files one by one despite using DVD-R for some reason.

These days you pretty much only need to know about DVD-RW and DVD+RW since these are far more common that DVD-RAM (but I can still see them sometimes.)

Pretty much the only advantage DVD-RAM has is random access times compared to both RW variants, but remember that RW variants can be used as if it were a USB flash drive anyway with packet writing (which should be built-in since Windows Vista).

Cost per GB is quite a lot smaller than USB flash drives, though they're small in terms of individual capacity and somewhat slow in random writes. However, as long as you handle them gently, they can potentially outlast flash memory.

You can use packet writing on a normal -R disc, but remember that once something is written, the space taken by it can never be claimed back. Deletion is more like "mark inaccessible" when it comes to -R discs, while on -RW and -RAM, it's actually deleted.

Starry Windy

Years
Well, usually I used DVD-R media because I'm using it to burn the video that I made that I buy many DVD-R discs for that, and it's cheaper.

And yes, I know the 'deletion' in the DVD-R's limitation when I was burning and deleting the data in my CD-R back then.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Since I deal with normal data files a lot, I tend to use discs that are rewriteable. It's easy to change their contents combined with packet writing.

I also rely a lot on +R discs for one-time burns of ISO files (things like all the Visual Studio Express disc images).

Years
DVD+RWs or DVD-RWs are certainly the best to have when you need to only write files one time since RW stands for re-writeable, and the discs can be completely wiped over and over again.

Years
That would suck if they found out you rooted it >_< but I would assume all evidence of it being rooted would be gone if you had wiped the custom recovery and bootloader off of it as well

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Some OEMs are very good at detecting hardware and software changes, though.

Either way, there's one thing DVDs always beat everything else (aside from CDs) - it's easier to boot them in case you need to do so.

Starry Windy

Years
As in Windows installations? I heard that DVD has much faster speed than in CD's, but I wonder if that means the boot can be faster though.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
As in Windows installations? I heard that DVD has much faster speed than in CD's, but I wonder if that means the boot can be faster though.

DVDs pack in a lot more data on the surface of the data layer. Given the same rotational speed, a DVD will give you more sequential throughput.

You can't even have Windows on CDs after Vista. :) And even then, you had to ask to change your Vista DVD into CDs. A lot of them.

Starry Windy

Years
DVDs pack in a lot more data on the surface of the data layer. Given the same rotational speed, a DVD will give you more sequential throughput.

You can't even have Windows on CDs after Vista. :) And even then, you had to ask to change your Vista DVD into CDs. A lot of them.

I bet the Windows after Vista have become bigger and bigger, and I even doubt if Windows Vista Ultimate can fit in into a CD. And I'm reminded that the first Windows version come in the form of floppy disks iirc, and I have no idea Windows will become this big and this far in DVD.

And I'll definitely get mind-blown if the next Windows after 8.1 come in form of Blu-ray Disc, especially 'cos I couldn't afford to buy Blu-ray Drive yet.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I bet the Windows after Vista have become bigger and bigger, and I even doubt if Windows Vista Ultimate can fit in into a CD. And I'm reminded that the first Windows version come in the form of floppy disks iirc, and I have no idea Windows will become this big and this far in DVD.

And I'll definitely get mind-blown if the next Windows after 8.1 come in form of Blu-ray Disc.

Fun fact: Windows started to ship in CDs since 3.1. (Bootable CDs didn't exist back then, so you needed a boot floppy. These CDs tend to also include MS-DOS to install, giving you a working Windows environment in one fell swoop.)

I don't expect any breaking changes in the media format - even with the x64 version, there's still quite a bit of space. Remember that the contents of the Windows image in the DVDs are pre-packed.

Years
Come to think of it, this reminds me now with my XP SP3 install disk that I got a few years ago with Media Center.. the whole box is packed with three CDs (one installs the OS, one installs Media Center, and the third "upgrades" Media Center to 2005).. but I think those are all DVDs and not CDs.. not sure though, just never bothered to check :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back