The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 20th, 2013 (08:21 AM).
perthskies
Nostalgic

Nature: Serious
Hello Twiggy,

1. I love Google Fonts, they have a nice range and it's free! Very straightforward to use too, just embed their stylesheet after you pick a font you're happy with and reference it in your CSS.

2. That's a tough call - I think Open Sans looks pretty close (it's also the font I'm using for my fansites, I really like it!)

Also known as: Optic
My Anime Fansites | Forums
Old November 20th, 2013 (08:23 AM).
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
Remember, green is a very sensitive colour, and I can feel it too (ouch!).
Anyway, you could use Fonts via CSS, so you won't need to worry about what the visitor has installed on their PC.

For example:
Code:
<html>
<style>
@font-face {
    font-family: 'Symbola';
    src: url('Symbola.eot');
    src: local('Symbola'),
         local('Symbola'),
         url('Symbola.ttf') format('truetype'),
         url('Symbola.svg#font') format('svg');
}

.Symbola {
	font-family:Symbola;
}
</style>
<body>
<div class="Symbola">This is a test.</div>
</body>
</html>
Old November 20th, 2013 (09:28 AM).
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly
I haven't done my own @font-face in stylesheets before, but if you need to get a font for your website but don't want to go through the hassle of programming it into a stylesheet manually, then I really recommend this web font generator from fontsquirrel.com (which is really for anyone as a reference), but I'm sure that you wouldn't have any trouble :)
Old November 20th, 2013 (10:19 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I've went with locally hosted Open Sans and Droid Sans Mono as the fall-back fonts for when Segoe UI and Consolas are missing. Thank goodness Font Squirrel exists, huh?

Looks pretty fine from what I've been using. Microsoft WebMatrix really does make testing really easy and rapid.
Old November 20th, 2013 (10:22 AM).
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
I haven't done my own @font-face in stylesheets before, but if you need to get a font for your website but don't want to go through the hassle of programming it into a stylesheet manually, then I really recommend this web font generator from fontsquirrel.com (which is really for anyone as a reference), but I'm sure that you wouldn't have any trouble
Come on, the @font-face method really isn't hard at all!
Old November 20th, 2013 (10:33 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
Indeed. As long as you know the bulletproof web font syntax, you should have no problems with compatibility.

I prefer to also define font styles and weights in a @font-face block as I prefer using the same font family name and using the "correct" weights using font-weight and font-style in the actual CSS.

You might fancy something like this:
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: 'Open Sans'; /* Specify a global font name */
    font-weight: normal; /* Specify what "weight" (e.g. normal, bold, lighter) these files are for */
    font-style: normal; /* Specify what "style" (e.g. normal, italic) these files are for */

src: url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.eot');
    src: url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.eot?iefix') format('eot'),
	     url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.woff') format('woff'),
	     url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.ttf') format('truetype'),
	     url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.svg#webfont') format('svg');
}
Old November 20th, 2013 (10:50 AM).
Tsutarja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
For the record, I have minimal experience with @font-face, so please watch at what you say. I respect your opinion for saying that it's not really hard at all, but keep in mind that experience level plays a role in what someone says about something.
Old November 20th, 2013 (10:54 AM). Edited November 21st, 2013 by Twiggy.
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
For the record, I have minimal experience with @font-face, so please watch at what you say. I respect your opinion for saying that it's not really hard at all, but keep in mind that experience level plays a role in what someone says about something.
Mmm, perhaps so, but you could certainly start out with the code block I've there. Just remember to replace all the URLs with where things are actually located on the server.

Speaking of web fonts and Google Fonts, I'm a bit... annoyed at the fact that Google Fonts API serves EOT fonts to Internet Explorer versions 9 and above even though IE9 supports WOFF and prefers it to everything else given a list of fonts to download in @font-face. (EOT doesn't support ligatures and other nice things that WOFF does.)

They had over two years...
Old January 17th, 2014 (04:55 PM).
Alex
a Sky High Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I'm running a VPS called Thunderbolt Networks with the following statistics:
Can you guys give me some suggestions for further improvement to the two sites' layouts? Both of them use a fixed background image that covers the screen, and I custom skinned the forums and modified the colors of an existing WordPress theme with a new background.

With the forum I'm also open to structural suggestions. :)
The Republic of Rome enjoyed only a brief existence thanks to your inept leadership. Rome has become a punching bag for every two-bit tribe in Italy. Once again we pay tribute to the Etruscans. Report to the chariot stable for duty as a wheel rim.
Old January 17th, 2014 (05:23 PM).
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ®ock§mashGod View Post
I'm running a VPS called Thunderbolt Networks with the following statistics:
Can you guys give me some suggestions for further improvement to the two sites' layouts? Both of them use a fixed background image that covers the screen, and I custom skinned the forums and modified the colors of an existing WordPress theme with a new background.

With the forum I'm also open to structural suggestions.
I'm nowhere near an expert webmaster but isn't the RAM a little "little"? It's not even 1GB.
Old January 17th, 2014 (05:34 PM).
Alex
a Sky High Pokémon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I'm nowhere near an expert webmaster but isn't the RAM a little "little"? It's not even 1GB.
When running resource-intensive applications (such as a Minecraft server, for instance) it's obviously nowhere near enough, but for a simple HTTP(S)/FTP server, it's all we need at our size. :3
Old January 17th, 2014 (05:39 PM).
Tsutarja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Not for a VPS. Usually most VPS server owners I know of usually only have 512 MB of RAM in them. It's not like an actual computer where you'll be running a lot of tasks.
Old January 17th, 2014 (05:50 PM).
Alex
a Sky High Pokémon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Not for a VPS. Usually most VPS server owners I know of usually only have 512 MB of RAM in them. It's not like an actual computer where you'll be running a lot of tasks.
Some hosts allow customization of your plans. For instance, I can get 20 GB of disk space with 16 GB of RAM if I wanted to. My host doesn't do that, though. Plus, why would I need the RAM?`
Old January 22nd, 2014 (06:25 PM).
Omicron
Prince of Heart

Nature: Modest
Hello everybody!
I'm going to run the website of a company and wanted your input on a good host.

Right now I'm looking at arvixe.

What host do you use/have used or recommend? :3

mod of Trade CornerShowdown!
Happy Holidays!
Old February 13th, 2014 (07:22 PM).
Tsutarja

Hello there everyone, I know this is probably going to come at a surprise, but due to the lack of activity, I am deciding to close the Webmasters Discussion/Lounge. If you need any further help on a website, you are more than welcome to ask in the Technology & Internet Daily Chit-Chat, or feel free to create a topic of your own. Please remember though not to advertise if you do so. Thank you everyone that's contributed to this thread.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links