• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Operating System Ever Made

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
Sorry for misspelling operating. :)

This thread is to replace the closed thread.

SO PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!

The topic is, in your view, what is the worst operating system ever made and why?

Me, anything above Windows XP is dumb.

Let the thread begin!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Windows Me was just a horrible, jumbled mess that should have never been released. Windows Vista is another bad one, but they fixed it up decently with Service Packs. Seven is solid. Eight is just... idek. Interesting.

XP was the front runner until 7 came out, imo. Seven is very awesome :3 Apple makes good OSes and there are many strong Linux distributions.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Vista's main issue was that Microsoft pushed it out way to fast. Another month of bug testing and the vast majority of initial issues would have been resolved.

Windows 8 is more designed for mobile platforms, not desktops.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I'd say Windows 8 (Granted, I've only used xp, vista, 7, 8 and Debian Linux... so that's not much to go on.) simply because it was designed 100% for tablets. It is literally not a PC operating system. Why is it on my PC?

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
7 is definitely the best windows OS. Before that, though, XP used to be what all the cool kids used, though.

Worst OS has to be iOS. THAT SHINX IS IMPOSSIBLE TO USE!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I'd say W8. I've never personally tried it, but it doesn't look like it was meant for business operations or school assignments. It's more of a gaming entertainment platform (and by "gaming," I mean Angry Birds kind of games / flash games). I don't see touch screen OS's as the "way of the future" except for a select audience.

I've never tried ME, but Vista was buggy and a bit laggy. I jumped from XP to W7 on my current PC, though. I did have another PC, though, that had Vista installed on it. Ugh. Horrible to get gaming permissions to work properly.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I feel like the 'horribleness' of Windows 8 is horrifically exaggerated. There are ways to get around Metro, y'know.

I would have to say probably Me. I remember... not having much fun with it at school. Either that or OS 9.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I feel like the 'horribleness' of Windows 8 is horrifically exaggerated. There are ways to get around Metro, y'know.

Not sure what Metro is, but given the context, I'm assuming the default touch-screen interface. For people who aren't tech-savvy, "getting around Metro" might be a horrific experience for them. Is a non-touch interface even integrated into W8 or do you have to modify core files manually / using different downloads + installations? If it's already there, it's not a big deal I suppose, but if it's not, that can be a lot of hassle just to get rid of W8's touch interface and integrate basic windows, task bars, etc. Plus, is the OS even able to efficiently run such a drastic alteration of the basic interface and functions of the OS to begin with? If it just diverts to a mini-7 experience, OK, but then why not just install W7 instead of running around in circles. W8 is obviously not designed for actual computer-based stuff; it's more of a mini flash game platform disguised as an OS. S'how I see it anyway. Inform me otherwise. As I said earlier, I've never used W8, but from the videos it doesn't look like my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I've used every Windows operating system since Windows 95 and honestly Windows ME easily tops the list for worst operating system. Windows 8 isn't bad but it's just not made for a PC. I don't want transitioning screens when I'm trying to run multiple things on my PC, I want to be able to easily have things pop up and down from the task bar. Also I happen to be one of those people who don't like things on multiple pages, I liked having all my programs on one long list.

Not sure what Metro is, but given the context, I'm assuming the default touch-screen interface. For people who aren't tech-savvy, "getting around Metro" might be a horrific experience for them. Is a non-touch interface even integrated into W8 or do you have to modify core files manually / using different downloads + installations? If it's already there, it's not a big deal I suppose, but if it's not, that can be a lot of hassle just to get rid of W8's touch interface and integrate basic windows, task bars, etc. Plus, is the OS even able to efficiently run such a drastic alteration of the basic interface and functions of the OS to begin with? If it just diverts to a mini-7 experience, OK, but then why not just install W7 instead of running around in circles. W8 is obviously not designed for actual computer-based stuff; it's more of a mini flash game platform disguised as an OS. S'how I see it anyway. Inform me otherwise. As I said earlier, I've never used W8, but from the videos it doesn't look like my cup of tea.

You can install on a regular old desktop, it works kind of the same except you can't slide things around with your hand, you need to drag the slide bar at the bottom of the screen with your mouse.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I actually use Windows 8 and picked it up when it costed about £30 to upgrade, and honestly that's the highest I would pay for it. It's pretty much Windows 7 with a nice looking Metro Skin and much shorter boot up times.

For the question in hand, I'll pick windows ME. At the very least Vista had a reason to exist, yet windows ME was a pointless upgrade to 98. You couldn't reboot into MS-DOS and it was intensely buggy.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Oh yeah, there are, and I've used them. That's not part of the OS though.

I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the splash screen, after reading several tutorials.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
For me, it's Vista, hands down. 8 isn't too far off, but if a desktop version came out that is designed for a mouse and not a touchscreen, I would really like it more.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Windows 8 is not as bad as people say, it's just a little tricky to get used to.
Anyhow for me it's Windows Vista I just do not like it at all.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Oh yeah, there are, and I've used them. That's not part of the OS though.

I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the splash screen, after reading several tutorials

And that's the issue. W8 doesn't seem to be built for typical computer use, and trying to force it to do what it normally wouldn't appears to be an enduring task. Again, it feels more like a gaming platform (and as someone else said, tablet OS) than something for a PC. I can see it being used by eight-year-olds, not businessmen or students.

Also, if I still have to slide to get from one screen to another (non-touch), that's still annoying. I like my taskbar. Will stick with W7.

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
I think that Mac OS 9 (Classic) was the worst OS ever. It still relied on atrocious data forks that made any file you tried to give it from a Windows based PC broken. It didn't have any way to change most options and had no underlying system that a user could use to fix problems if the GUI ever died or fix low-level problems not present in the GUI. It was also very limiting to developers.

It had some nice touches, but it really was no fun to use in the end.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
For me the one I disliked the most was Win ME, it crashed a lot. I have only tried Vista, XP, ME, and 2000. I loved Vista but it got damaged by a virus, and I made the mistake of not making a restore CD so I had to downgrade to XP again (it messed up the laptop - my grandma now has it).

ME was the worst.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Vista isn't horrible these days, but I still run into issues with it that I don't have on 7, especially when running games on it.

Back