• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Custom PokeArmor item?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 6, 2019
After seeing them in Pokemon Insurgence, the concept of armors piqued my interest. I'm more of a defensive player, and I really like the idea. However, I think that they could be used more impactfully.

Specifically, I wonder about Pokemon like Golem, Parasect, (normal) Aggron, Aurorus, Torterra, and Exeggutor that need to see more use but whose x4 weaknesses cripple them when combined with other negative traits. So, I came up with this:

Conversion Armor (not a set name. suggestions?)
- only usable by Pokemon with at least one x4 weakness
- converts all x4 weaknesses into x1/2 resistances
- cannot be simultaneously held with another item
- not usable on legendaries / pseudo legendaries outside of Uber competitive tiers
- can be Knocked Off (???)

What does the community think of this concept? I figured that the simple +25% Def and Sp.Def boost from Insurgence wasn't enough for certain Pokemon and that this class of armor would help more. Giving type-absorbing qualities or full damage immunity appeared unbalanced to me. X1/4 resistance seemed a tad much, and type neutrality wasn't enough in my opinion. Thoughts?

Would it be fair to make Conversion Armor unaffected by Knock Off, given that it is meant to fix a problem that Pokemon with better typing don't have?

Lastly, does anybody know how to code this type of armor item? I can't help thinking that it would be somewhat complicated.

Does the community have ideas for additional types of PokeArmor?

Last edited:
Years
To make Conversion Armor is actually simple.

PokeBattle_Move, line 419 reads:
Code:
    return mod1*mod2*mod3

Replace it with this:
Code:
    ret=mod1*mod2*mod3
    if ret>=32 && opponent.hasWorkingItem(:CONVERSIONARMOR)
      ret/=8
    end
    return ret

This does not make the Conversion Armor immune to Knock Off, but it does convert a x4 weakness to a x1/2 resistance, regardless of what that weakness is. It will also make a x8 weakness (i.e., if hit with Trick-or-Treat or Forest's Curse so that the Pokemon has three types) into a x1.

Might I also suggest Awkward Armor? Makes all moves hit the holder as if it were an Inverse Battle.

Here's the code above with both the Conversion and Awkward Armors.

Code:
    ret=mod1*mod2*mod3
    if ret>=32 && opponent.hasWorkingItem(:CONVERSIONARMOR)
      ret/=8
    elsif opponent.hasWorkingItem(:AWKWARDARMOR)
      case mod1
      when 0, 1
        mod1=4
      when 4
        mod1=1
      end
      case mod2
      when 0, 1
        mod2=4
      when 4
        mod2=1
      end
      case mod3
      when 0, 1
        mod3=4
      when 4
        mod3=1
      end
      ret=mod1*mod2*mod3
    end
    return ret

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 6, 2019
I'm surprised that Conversion Armor was so easy to make. That shows how little I know.

I had completely overlooked Inverse Battles. The concept of Awkward Armor seems interesting, but how would it fit into competitive play? It's hard enough already to predict what an opponent will do in standard battles, but being pitted against a random inverse situation without any advanced warning might over-complicate things....

Years
I'd like to point out that unless you shell out money for a server, it's unlikely your game will have any sort of "competitive play" since you can't make people interact.

And even if you do get a server and competitive play does become a thing, eventually your meta will settle and certain Pokemon will be known as having the possibility of having Awkward Armor. or, if the Awkward Armor is too unpredictable, it'll get sent to Ubers.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 6, 2019
Good points, good points.

I'm just trying to run through all the possibilities on the super rare off chance that something actually did happen competitively, not that I think it likely ever would.

Back