• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm curious as to the viability of a Belly Drum Charizard X. I fell in love with Y when it was announced but I've decided to check out X finally. I'm thinking this set with the following helper.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Blaze -> Tough Claws
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Species
Jolly / Adamant? Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Belly Drum
- Roost

Two strong STAB attacks with the obvious boosting skill and Roost to heal away damage. I'm thinking Defog support is best.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Overcoat
252 HP / (Mixed/Physical/Special???)
Nature to go with above EV set up
- Defog
- Tailwind
- Roost / Toxic
- Knock Off / Foul Play

I really only know I want Defog and Tailwind, the other skills have their uses but not sure what to decide. Defog is mandatory for removing hazards for Charizard to come in. Tailwind could be used to assist Charizard in the Speed department for help setting up. Does Mandibuzz learn U-Turn? That would help the transition. I'll look into that.

I was also thinking maybe a Duel Screener could help. Something durable for multiple switch ins if need be, hazards are pointless with Defog. Screens would help Charizard take minimal damage while boosting. This, no hazards and Roost on Charizard are important due to Belly Drums life cost.

In short, Duel Screens to take minimal damage, Defog to remove SR, Tailwind to boost Speed, Charizard comes in, boosts, heals, smashes.
Bellyzard needs too much support to even work effectively, even if it gained the appropriate Mega Evolution to take advantage of it. Dragon Dance is the much safer option for it, while it can also go bulky to give it an easier time against its checks/counters:
-Dragon Dance
-Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
-Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Earthquake/Roost
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze

or
-Fire Punch/Earthquake
-Dragon Tail
-Will-o-Wisp
-Roost
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 248 HP/84 SDef/176 Spe
Item: Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze

This is what Mandibuzz should look like:
-Foul Play
-Roost
-Taunt/Whirlwind
-Defog/Toxic/Knock Off
Nature: Bold/Impish
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat

Klefki is a Dual Screener you could use:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Spikes
-Dazzling Gleam/Foul Play
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/152 Def/104 SDef
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Prankster

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014
I'm curious as to the viability of a Belly Drum Charizard X. I fell in love with Y when it was announced but I've decided to check out X finally. I'm thinking this set with the following helper.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Blaze -> Tough Claws
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Species
Jolly / Adamant? Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Belly Drum
- Roost

Two strong STAB attacks with the obvious boosting skill and Roost to heal away damage. I'm thinking Defog support is best.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Overcoat
252 HP / (Mixed/Physical/Special???)
Nature to go with above EV set up
- Defog
- Tailwind
- Roost / Toxic
- Knock Off / Foul Play

I really only know I want Defog and Tailwind, the other skills have their uses but not sure what to decide. Defog is mandatory for removing hazards for Charizard to come in. Tailwind could be used to assist Charizard in the Speed department for help setting up. Does Mandibuzz learn U-Turn? That would help the transition. I'll look into that.

I was also thinking maybe a Duel Screener could help. Something durable for multiple switch ins if need be, hazards are pointless with Defog. Screens would help Charizard take minimal damage while boosting. This, no hazards and Roost on Charizard are important due to Belly Drums life cost.

In short, Duel Screens to take minimal damage, Defog to remove SR, Tailwind to boost Speed, Charizard comes in, boosts, heals, smashes.
Metagross is a great dual screener imo, at least for the bulkiness that you are looking for.

I don't have any 6th gen games, or a 3ds, but I use Gardevoir as a dual screener and it works pretty well. In 5th gen, that is.

Of course, an Espeon with Magic Bounce is always an option. Even more than a dual screener.

Klefki is there too, with Prankster and all.

Last edited:

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Well that helps but I'm still really curious about a BD ZardX. That +6 Atk is hard to resist. My main concern is coverage. It seems like it would be good to open with Screens, switch into Mandibuzz then into Zard but that early in the match he may have too many counters to sweep properly and Roost is almost mandatory to run with BD.

That's why I was thinking a durable screener that would be alive later in the match to use after some of Zard's counters have been removed. What really walls a +6 Physical Fire/Dragon? Off the top of my head maybe Azurmaril, Heatran?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Well that helps but I'm still really curious about a BD ZardX. That +6 Atk is hard to resist. My main concern is coverage. It seems like it would be good to open with Screens, switch into Mandibuzz then into Zard but that early in the match he may have too many counters to sweep properly and Roost is almost mandatory to run with BD.

That's why I was thinking a durable screener that would be alive later in the match to use after some of Zard's counters have been removed. What really walls a +6 Physical Fire/Dragon? Off the top of my head maybe Azurmaril, Heatran?

Don't forget Carbink (and Diancie when it's released).

Bellyzard X isn't worth it. As I mentioned, Dragon Dance is the safer setup option.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Well maybe I bred Belly Drum on Charizard too early. Still working with Dragon Pulse, Outrage, Dragon Dance, Belly Drum Egg Moves.

I just realized that Defog removes Screens right? So I would have to screen AFTER Defog and that would burn precious Tailwind turns. It seems you're probably right, I'm running into problems already. No Zard will ever get +6/+6 with DD but whatever. There is always Shell Smash/Baton Pass Smeargle to the DD Zard. :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is there any reason to use Extreme Speed on Genesect?

Genesect's Speed, while good, isn't exactly the best Speed you can have. 99 Speed lets you outspeed things like Reshiram, Zekrom, Dialga, Rayquaza White Kyurem, Xerneas and Yveltal, but leaves you outsped by Palkia and Arceus, prominent threats.

Extreme Speed's +2 priority is also useful. Choice Band Genesect appreciates that.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Genesect's Speed, while good, isn't exactly the best Speed you can have. 99 Speed lets you outspeed things like Reshiram, Zekrom, Dialga, Rayquaza White Kyurem, Xerneas and Yveltal, but leaves you outsped by Palkia and Arceus, prominent threats.

Extreme Speed's +2 priority is also useful. Choice Band Genesect appreciates that.

Is it neccessary if knows Shift Gear?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Does anything beat Extreme Killer Arceus in Speed?

ExtremeKiller Arceus uses enough Speed EVs to outspeed Timid/Jolly base 90 Speed Pokemon such as Dialga, Reshiram and Zekrom. Extreme Speed's +2 priority makes the fact that Arceus doesn't invest in full Speed a non-issue. Those who can take an Extreme Speed are too slow (which can leave them open to one of Arceus' coverage moves) or too weak to bring down Arceus.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2014
Brave Bird + Skarmory = Beautiful

Skarmory has always been one of my favorite Pokemon. I already had a Skarmory from Black 2 with only 2 Perfect IV's. But since it became really easy to pass on perfect IV's to eggs in this generation, I decided to go for a 5 Perfect IV Skarmory, I got lucky and got 6 Perfect IVs.

I decided to try out Brave Bird on my Skarmory and it's pretty amazing. I've always used Skarmory as a support/tank for tripple battles. It never was able to do much damage, but I loved it because of tailwind and how hard it is for it to be knocked out. But with Brave Bird it does pretty good damage for a Pokemon with no EV's in Attack and a Careful nature(+Special Def, -Special Att). With a Sword Dance and Automize it suddenly becomes pretty dangerous for the opposing team. Able to 1 Hit KO a lot of Pokemon and Doesn't take much damage from the Recoil.

My Skarmory is

Careful (252 in HP, 252 in SP. DEF, 6 in Speed)
Sturdy(pretty useless, should have gone for keen eye)
HP:344
Attack:196
Defense:316
SP. ATK :104
SP.DEF 262
Speed: 177

It's Moveset is

Brave Bird, Swords Dance, Roost, Automize

One thing I really wish this Generation had was a tutor for Tailwind, I really miss having Tailwind on Skarmory.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Offensive Skarmory is too gimmicky. You're wasting away its excellent defensive capabilities. Since G/S/C, Skarmory has been famous for walling physical attackers to hell and back. A general rule of thumb for the "double-dance" strategy (use 2 setup moves in one set; one for Speed and the other for an appropriate attacking stat) is that the user must use Speed and offensive EVs. Your set doesn't.

As of Gen VI, Skarmory is better off playing a support role:
-Roost
-Whirlwind
-Stealth Rock/Spikes/Brave Bird
-Defog/Brave Bird
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef or 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
Ability: Sturdy

or
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Taunt/Brave Bird
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy

Sturdy is the superior ability for Skarmory in EVERY single case. It ensures it can always do something at full health; it can be restored with Roost.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2014
When I decided to breed a 5 Perfect IV, I was planning on just using it for support for triple battles, I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to teach it Tailwind in this game.

I always start of a battle with tailwind, have my Blastoise use Protect, and then Water Spout next turn. The 3rd Pokemon is the wild card. After Tailwind, Skarmory is just there to pretty much distract my opponent from targetting Blastoise as much as possible, they usually waste turns trying to knockout Skarmory and can't, even with special attacks. So I get to take advantage of Waterspout. But it's nice that it can do damage now instead of just distracting. I just wish I could teach it Tailwind.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
When I decided to breed a 5 Perfect IV, I was planning on just using it for support for triple battles, I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to teach it Tailwind in this game.

I always start of a battle with tailwind, have my Blastoise use Protect, and then Water Spout next turn. The 3rd Pokemon is the wild card. After Tailwind, Skarmory is just there to pretty much distract my opponent from targetting Blastoise as much as possible, they usually waste turns trying to knockout Skarmory and can't, even with special attacks. So I get to take advantage of Waterspout. But it's nice that it can do damage now instead of just distracting. I just wish I could teach it Tailwind.

Sorry to say this, but Skarmory is not fit for a multi-battle environment. It has a good support move pool, but it lacks options that make it shine for multi-battle environments. For instance, hazards are wasted due to the fast pace of the format and the rarity of switching out of battle. The same applies for Whirlwind. It's also risky to use recovery moves in doubles/triples because the opposing Pokemon can then gang up on Skarmory and take it out. You also have to account for multi-targeting moves, like Surf, Rock Slide and Discharge. In the end, Skarmory is a Pokemon you should use in single battles only.

There are also better Tailwind users out there, like Incarnate Thundurus, Talonflame, Salamence, Noivern, Suicune and Togekiss.

WonderfulWhiscash

Murderous Magikarp
Years
Staraptor build?

So, I'm currently in the process of breeding iv reckless starlys, because after testing it out on showdown, I realised something: Brave bird/double edge reckless boosted choice banded wrecks everything. But I was wondering - adamant scarf, jolly band, jolly scarf, or adamant band? One thing I do need is to outspeed my friend's Salamence, which is adamant, and also has base 100 speed. While I know they're all viable, which set do you think is best? Also PM me if you want one of the breeding rejects

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So, I'm currently in the process of breeding iv reckless starlys, because after testing it out on showdown, I realised something: Brave bird/double edge reckless boosted choice banded wrecks everything. But I was wondering - adamant scarf, jolly band, jolly scarf, or adamant band? One thing I do need is to outspeed my friend's Salamence, which is adamant, and also has base 100 speed. While I know they're all viable, which set do you think is best? Also PM me if you want one of the breeding rejects

Jolly Band and Jolly Scarf are Staraptor's best bets. 100 Speed, while not the best Speed to have, is still good and you should take advantage of it.

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014
Regice set

I uh, don't plan on using the exact sets that would be suggested, but I need some place to start.

Was thinking...

With Regice's massive SP. D, I don't need to take full advantage of it by putting a full 252 on HP.

Modest is definitely an option.
136 HP, 136 SP Def, 252 Sp Attack, 4 Speed (Def?)

or

Should I go for even more Sp Def? Or Defense?
70 HP, 252 Def, 136 Sp Attack, 28 Sp Def, 28 Speed?

I don't even know if I did that second set right lol.

Any items other than leftovers?

Ice Beam, Flash Cannon/Thunderbolt, Rock Polish/Rest, Thunderwave/Toxic/Amnesia?

I'm pretty loss on this, all help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back