• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Nothing can truly beat a laptop's physical keyboard when it comes to productivity tasks.

Though, a Surface (RT or Pro) with the Type Cover (having real keys and all) comes pretty close, though.

Years
That's the one thing a laptop is best for in my situation these days, is productivity.

And if we're talking keyboards, I always use Swype on my tablet. It's much easier to use than making several individual keystrokes with your finger if you ask me, but I also cost the fact of making several typos at times, too. >_<

Years
Half the time Swype can't even guess the word I'm trying to enter even though I've hit every single letter, but then it turns around and guesses the exact word I'm looking for when I'm sort of just haphazardly hitting letters in the word. It's quite astounding how inconsistent it can be.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
My friend loves using swype all the time. I mostly miss and type wrong when I try, but that's probably because I'm not that used to it.

Keyboard. It'll be a long time, if ever, before touch screens can win over a proper keyboard and mouse imo.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I never really got into swype. Probably cause the first time I tried it, I randomly swept my finger and got "dick".

I took that as an omen. I'll stick to my ancient phone. :3

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I was on my way to reply something kind of spammy and funny there, then remembered that this is not the MMO DCC. Ehehem. Why are so many mods posting in succession here? xD

Ancient, you say? You mean you have not got a smartphone? Or not even a phone with a touch screen?

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Since Android JellyBean, Swype kinda lost it's nichie being a swiping based keyboard becuase the stock android keyboard now has that funtionallity built in. Works well enough for me.

Years
I still prefer Swype because it can produce more suggestions than Android's gesture keyboard and because of how it gets you the word once you finish the swipe. But Android's gesture keyboard is cool as well.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm very fond of the Windows Phone software keyboard. It tends to deliberately fudge with the hitboxes of keys on the software keyboard to better predict the next letter.

It works.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
I really, REALLY like using Swype. :p It's probably the thing I'm looking forward to most when I get my first smartphone in about two weeks.

LG Optimus M+, for those wondering.

Years
Oh, I really wish I had a smartphone.. it's unfortunate enough that I never was able to fit in with mobile technology because my parents simply refused to buy me one >_>

But if I were to get a Smartphone, I'm not sure what I would get now.. Windows mobile, perhaps? I have an Android device (my Nexus 7), and I have my iPod Touch 4G. I prefer to be neutral in most OS wars, but sometimes I will say there are things I like better about certain operating systems than others.

Years
I'm curious as to what the Windows phone OS is like.

I'm very fond of the Windows Phone software keyboard. It tends to deliberately fudge with the hitboxes of keys on the software keyboard to better predict the next letter.

It works.

Swype gets better at anticipating what you want to input the more you use it, but those first couple months can be a pain when you're constantly adding new "words" to its dictionary.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm curious as to what the Windows phone OS is like.

Swype gets better at anticipating what you want to input the more you use it, but those first couple months can be a pain when you're constantly adding new "words" to its dictionary.

The thing about Windows Phone's software keyboard is that it's also the work of years of experience from keyboard input telemetry from software keyboards. If anything, Microsoft knows its way around software keyboards on phones. Sometimes I can literally touch-type touch-type on a phone...

When you have years of experience fiddling with software keyboards, it's very easy to get it right for the general public when it comes to text prediction. No need to build things.

Years
It seems though that with me using my Nexus 7 way more than my iPod Touch now, the iOS keyboard looks very small for my fingers, and just before I had my Nexus, I was very well used to typing on my iPod Touch's keyboard.. now, that has changed and the keys feel smaller.

And I've probably used my tablet way too much now, because I've added quite a few custom words to my Swype dictionary (including PokéCommunity! :P), and I have gotten to the point where my swipes are sloppier and it still knows which word I want.

Years
Hmm, guess we could go for a new topic here?

What type(s) of device(s) do you guys seem to use more than others?

Nowadays I find myself using my desktop way more than my laptop, mainly because of its performance. From the time I got my current laptop up through the time I got my current desktop, I had always seen myself using my laptop more because my previous desktop ran XP and it wasn't the best at multitasking either towards the end of its reign.

However, even with my current laptop usage slipping, it's also fallen more now that I have my new Nexus 7 tablet. But the fact that the laptop is 3½ years old now and wearing out is another reason why I'm kinda abandoning usage of it.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I mostly use one of my two desktops - I have a powerhouse one running Windows 8 for gaming, and a rather average one running 10.8.4 hackintosh, for iOS development. I also have a Nexus 7, which I use while away from the computer, or while something is loading on whatever PC I happen to be using (yeah, multitasker). I also have an iPod Touch 5G which combined with Skype I use instead of an iPhone.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I still spend a significant amount of time on my laptop.

It's there for watching DVD movies.
It's also there for gaming needs, both casual and hard-core, so to speak.
And it's always there for documents in Office 2013.
It's extremely handy for developing and testing applications that I write regularly, both for myself and university assignments.

Try that with a phone or a non-Windows tablet. And even Windows tablets need a real keyboard and some kind of pointing device to be truly usable for productivity tasks.

Years
The general trend with me is that I usually wind up changing my priorities on device usage whenever I get a new device, and as I've already said, my new Nexus 7 has replaced me using my laptop, even at home. But I have a feeling that my laptop usage would increase again once I get into college and begin to work on nothing but assignments.

Speaking of assignments, what do y'all use for typing up documents? Word? OpenOffice? Or whatever comes with the computer?

I just mainly use Word 2007 since I've had it for nearly 5 years now, and it works fine for me.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I have a couple of desktops and laptops in my house. I use laptops more often, though, because they're portable and very convenient. We're able to carry them anywhere we want, indoor or outdoor. Every laptop has a battery, so when the electricity's out, we'll still be able to use them. Also, laptops, in my opinion, have better designs and look more modern.

For typing up documents, I always use Google Drive. It allows you to save your files on the air, so you'll always be able to access them regardless of where you are or what computer you're using. =) Plus, Google Drive has an offline mode, which allows you to work on your documents even if you don't have internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back