• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Mew

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Pokemon_RBY_Wild_Mew.jpg

Believe it or not, Mew was not planned to be programmed in the game. It was just intended to be as a joke from one of the developers, so that only Game Freak staff members would know about and be able to obtain that pokemon. But of course, thanks to a well known glitch at Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue, players soon found out about Mew too!

The glitch itself though, was pretty tricky.. you'd have to battle this trainer with a slowpoke, then fly to Lavender towards a gambler, BUT you're not supposed to battle the gamer - you're supposed to take one step towards him, then press start immediately to fly. Soon you'd have to go back to Lavender where the start menu 'pops up', then when you close iit, Mew will be encountered. But there's also a lot of different versions of this method with different trainers and locations.

Or.. something like that, I don't really remember that much, but, it was a glitch! Haha. Once you've gotten mew, you'll find out that Mew can learn every single move in the entire game, making it.. versatile, to say the least!

In any case, did you ever obtain Mew, or knew about Mew during your playthrough of Pokemon Blue and Red? What do you think of this mysterious 151th pokemon?

Years
0.0 WHOA my mind has been blown! I never knew about this glitch and I usually love to learn about glitches in Pokémon. But then again I wasn't born during the times of Red and Blue, so maybe that has something to do with it. But back on track I've obviously never obtained Mew during a playthrough of Red and honestly... I'm sorta happy about it:
Spr_1g_151.png

Years
I remember this glitch, but I wouldn't remember how to get it today. xP But I sure do recall catching Mew a couple playthroughs with it, and it was a funny thing since its stats were rounded and could learn every TM or HM. Funny stuff. Too bad Mew is one we won't be able to get as easily today...

Years
I thought Mew was saved to be an event only obtainable. Blew my mind. But yes, I caught Mew in my Red and Blue playthroughs. My most recent one I didn't but before that I did it most of the time, along with the MissingNo. glitch.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Well, when I first played through the games, I didn't know about Mew because of lack of internet and everything. However, when the internet grew and people started to uncover this, I went back in and tried the glitch out. It certainly works! I obtained Mew through it and used it in new playthroughs. I love Mew, its one of my favorite legendaries so I am thankful for someone uncovering this and to the programmers for adding Mew in! Haha. Although it takes some doing, getting Mew through this glitch is worth it :3

Years
On my fist few playthroughs I did not know about the Mew glitch. Once I leared about it, I executed the glitch to get Mew. I think Mew is an interesting Pokémon because it learned every move in the game at the time.

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
I got a Mew in all 4 Gen I games, and transferred them all to Gold, Silver and Crystal. (I have Japanese ones too).
Doing the glitch allowed me to complete the Pokédex. Which was cool!!

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
Ah, a classic! :) I LOVED to exploit this glitch during every playthrough of Pokemon R/B/Y :P Yeah, I found out too soon enough about this glitch, and some others like getting a huge amount of rare candies or something (only available in Red/Blue) :P

I also transferred the Mews to other games like G/S/C, which helped me filling the Pokedex and it was an awesome Pokemon AND an awesome way to obtain it :3

Years
Yeah I have done the glitch and gotten a Mew that way *cough* and stuffed it in a box *cought*. I really would love to see something similar in a newer game. Like in a remake of RB they acknowledge the 2 most famous glitchs of said games. They already made the fake pokegods real mega evolutions so why not?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2015
I had mine Mew by that glitch on bridge leading to Bill's house. Good 'ol times :).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 13, 2015
I got my mew at cerulean city. I encountered the tainer with the slowpoke, I pressed start immediately and opened the menu. I then used my abra to teleport to the pokemon centre in Cerulean thus creating the glitch for mew. He should then appear in the wild across nugget bridge.

Psychic

Really and truly
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2018
I only learned about the Mew glitch after beating Yellow version. Since Mew was (and still is) one of my favourite Pokemon, it was worth the sacrifice - I restarted Yellow just so I could get that Mew. (Not that I suffered a great loss anyway - I transferred all of my Pokemon and items to Pokemon Stadium, haha.) I remember being so stupidly happy when the glitch worked and I had my very own Mew. <3

~Psychic

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
Heh, I remember this glitch! I was at my cousins for the weekend (while back) and found that he had just bought Pokémon yellow and a Teal Gameboy Color. I was the person who only did research on these games cause I didn't own them at the time. He was still at the start of the game when I got there, still in Viridian. I knew it was my destiny to do the mew glitch, after doing tons of research before-hand on it. We rushed to cerulean city to do the glitch, when we finally got there, we caught an abra that knew teleport. We had a bulbasaur which was a good thing, because it knew growl. If the Pokémon knew growl, and you used it 7 times on the slowpoke that you had to battle, the mew on the bridge would be level1! So what? Well, once we finally did all the steps of pressing start, teleporting, etc etc, when we finally battled mew, it was level1. We caught it, and then we went to the grass west of cerulean. We leveled Mew up 1 level, and instead of growing to level2, it grew to level100! That was the plan, that if you get a level1 mew and level it up 1 level, with a certain amount of exp, it grows 100 levels ^_^ . Oooh the Mew glitch, good times.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I don't know if I still have the save from my Blue cartridge or if it got corrupted, but if it's still there, then also are my two Mew that I caught when I last played the game. One of them was my HM slave and the other one I used for battles.

I think you can get up to three of them by fighting the right trainers and even more if you fight wild Dittos using Pokemon with certain stats. Also a funny thing to note: Mew can learn transform and when encountering a wild and let it transform, you will not be able to catch it, as the game thinks that only Ditto can use this move, which is why you'll get a Ditto instead. {XD}

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I remember this glitch fondly and used it to the max haha. I definitely utilised Mew (come on, it's was a beast being able to learn every single move in the game). It might have been a bit cheaty but I didn't care haha, it was fun to use him!

Years
Got a Mew from a Nintendo Mall Tour event back in the day. There was this blue and yellow machine set up on a little table, machine looks like a Super Nintendo/Famicom. Had it for at least a few years until I discovered GB incompatibility with GBA in early 2000s.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Ah the mew glitch... Brings back memories... I often wonder why we don't get cool glitches like these today. I mean, you could program most of the ram to do whatever you wanted in rbyg, and gsc even had arbitrary code execution. Now days most games don't even have cool glitches. Maybe some wall clipping and crashes, but that's nothing compared to what we got in older games. I remember completing my pokedex in red, and then deciding to do it in emerald. While I did eventually get it (without cheats in the end, pomeg glitch and glitch hatching) I was constantly thinking of how much harder it's gotten as games go on to glitch your way to 100%. Heck, unless things changed recently, I'm not even sure if we can complete the pokedex in 4th gen games without a cheating device, let alone 6th gen.

Back