• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Japanese Music Discussion

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
As an American, I find Japanese Music far more relaxing and enjoyable than that of 99% of our, American's music. Maybe it's just me, but their tradition music are just incredible!!! I've listened to a few musics here on youtube, but I mostly only pay attention and listen to those of the Theme songs, played virtually for the Anime series.

1) What is your favorite Japanese artist/singer/band?
2) What is your favorite Japanese song/music/genre?
3) Why do you like Japanese Music?
4) Any suggestions (for us to listen to, of course)?

Hope this is acceptable, I tried looking and I didn't see a topic about Japanese Music! :(

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
I like bands like M.O.V.E. or Silver Forest... I also listen to a lot of medleys on Nico Nico Douga.
I like a fair amount of J-Core, and some J-Pop...
A lot of the music has melodies that I really like are often omitted in our music over here. Sure! It may sound crazy, but the songs are just freaking catchy.
Sure! Here is Silver Forest, M.O.V.E., and maybe even M-Project.

Here is also a full Wiki page filled with Nico Nico Douga Medleys.

Have fun~!

Last edited:

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
Years
I guess I'm more 'mainstream' when it comes to J-music.

I love Gackt. Puffy AmiYumi, the Brilliant Green, the Pillows...all cool.
Does Peelander-Z count? If so, then, yeah, those guys too. :D

J-pop CD vol 1 and 2 was cool too.

Years
My long-time favorite who I keep going back to is Sakamoto Maaya. Admittedly I first heard her through anime, but I'm not really a fan of theme songs. As an artist in general she's grown a lot and is just fabulous and amazing.

In contrast to her music (general pop, I guess?) I typically prefer electronic: Capsule, Perfume, Sakanaction. I've got my ear open to a lot of different genres though. I'm a lot more open to genres I wouldn't normally listen to when they're in Japanese music for whatever reason.

Dunno why I like this kind of music, really. It's just that I listen to it and it doesn't sound bad to me. I also started to listen to it a LOT more when I was in Japan and I suppose that's as big a reason as any now. Makes me all nostalgic.

Gackt, oh wow does that take me back to when I first started listening to music. I used to listen to Mars and a bunch of other albums over and over.

ZeroCracked

Black Aura
Years

Oi... I'm stuck between Vocaloids and ONE OK ROCK.

J-Rock for sure.

Well, it typically has either a better rhythm than a lot of American songs or it has more meaning, a philosophical meaning that makes me think.

Check out both Kagamine Rin - Chronophobia and ONE OK ROCK - Re:make. The former really makes you think about the story and her situation while Re:make just flat out trumps anything I've heard from Nickleback. Because Nickleback sucks.

♠Dawn Rayne♠

Best in the world at what I do
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen May 6, 2012
I listen to alot of GARNET CROW. A band I originally discovered thanks to Detective Conan (Fav anime besides Pokemon) And I also enjoy music from B'Z, BREAKERZ, Annabel, ALI Project, and The Pillows as well. I reccomend GC and B'Z both highly, B'Z are actually a record breaking and history making band in Japan.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
I like bands like M.O.V.E. or Silver Forest... I also listen to a lot of medleys on Nico Nico Douga.

I like a fair amount of J-Core, and some J-Pop...

A lot of the music has melodies that I really like are often omitted in our music over here. Sure! It may sound crazy, but the songs are just freaking catchy.

Sure! Here is Silver Forest, M.O.V.E., and maybe even M-Project.

Here is also a full Wiki page filled with Nico Nico Douga Medleys.

Have fun~!
I am now listening to Silver Forest as I type, perfect melody, perfect music so far! Thanks! I've always wondered where I could find a list of something too :)

I wonder does the Japanese Music have genres that Americans don't have? Like I see they name them J-Core, J-Pop, J-Rock, etc, So I was wondering..
My long-time favorite who I keep going back to is Sakamoto Maaya. Admittedly I first heard her through anime, but I'm not really a fan of theme songs. As an artist in general she's grown a lot and is just fabulous and amazing.

In contrast to her music (general pop, I guess?) I typically prefer electronic: Capsule, Perfume, Sakanaction. I've got my ear open to a lot of different genres though. I'm a lot more open to genres I wouldn't normally listen to when they're in Japanese music for whatever reason.

Dunno why I like this kind of music, really. It's just that I listen to it and it doesn't sound bad to me. I also started to listen to it a LOT more when I was in Japan and I suppose that's as big a reason as any now. Makes me all nostalgic.

Gackt, oh wow does that take me back to when I first started listening to music. I used to listen to Mars and a bunch of other albums over and over.
I did the same thing with a pop singer when I was younger, geez your favorite singer/band never gets old when you listen to them sing the same songs for the one millionth time haha

But personally it would help 100% if I could learn Japanese myself. I only understand English unfortunately, sometime when I listen to J-Music, I always get that feeling that I have to learn in order to actually listen to J-Music for real rather than following the melody. Would be nice to know anyone who speak this language fluently so I could learn xD Guess it's a part of my plan to visit Japan one day as well!

How many different Genres are there? Like I know there are J-Core, J-Rock, J-Pop..would there be such thing as, J-Hip/Hop, J-Rap, etc, or no? Need I to mention I only listen to very, very few Rock bands, some Pop singers and mainly Country. Country can be laid back and relaxing with some touch to it and the way J-Music is, I can definitely feel the melody of the song without understand what it's actually about. With the ones I've heard anyway. xD

Check out both Kagamine Rin - Chronophobia and ONE OK ROCK - Re:make. The former really makes you think about the story and her situation while Re:make just flat out trumps anything I've heard from Nickleback. Because Nickleback sucks.
So both the original and Remake (or is it actually spelled 'Re:make') are actually really good? Actually got that 2 birds with one stone? I'm interested in checking this out soon!
I listen to alot of GARNET CROW. A band I originally discovered thanks to Detective Conan (Fav anime besides Pokemon) And I also enjoy music from B'Z, BREAKERZ, Annabel, ALI Project, and The Pillows as well. I reccomend GC and B'Z both highly, B'Z are actually a record breaking and history making band in Japan.
As I being going through these music, I actually want to try out and see how J-Core is. (Is that the same thing...Hardcore music?). I personally hate Rap and Hardcore music myself. Hopefully they are different xD If not then, I'd have to find the likes/dislikes just like I do with ours....

Years
As an American, I find Japanese Music far more relaxing and enjoyable than that of 99% of our, American's music. Maybe it's just me, but their tradition music are just incredible!!! I've listened to a few musics here on youtube, but I mostly only pay attention and listen to those of the Theme songs, played virtually for the Anime series.

Hope this is acceptable, I tried looking and I didn't see a topic about Japanese Music! :(

1) Anything as long as I like it =) Especially anime theme songs XD

2) Happy cheerful music but also serious and sad music =)

3) It sounds interesting and i really like how they sing it ( although i can't understand it )

4) Go! Go! 7188 and suki dakara from the anime bokura ga ita =) Try it =)

ZeroCracked

Black Aura
Years
So both the original and Remake (or is it actually spelled 'Re:make') are actually really good? Actually got that 2 birds with one stone? I'm interested in checking this out soon!

Yeah, it's actually spelled Re:make. I'm not sure what you mean by original though. It was actually a friend who got me into the band in the first place.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
Yeah, it's actually spelled Re:make. I'm not sure what you mean by original though. It was actually a friend who got me into the band in the first place.
Original- The creator the song?
Remake- Borrow the song and changed the melody or genre to it? Well..that's remixed..mmm? Changing the words around? lol

But Re:make doesn't mean it's actually a remake, as it appears then?

4) Go! Go! 7188 and suki dakara from the anime bokura ga ita =) Try it =)
Thanks! I'll check it out tonight!

Last edited:
Years
B'Z are actually a record breaking and history making band in Japan.
And, like Southern All Stars, no one outside of Japan knows who they are.

I wonder does the Japanese Music have genres that Americans don't have? Like I see they name them J-Core, J-Pop, J-Rock, etc, So I was wondering..
Not really. They label them a bit differently of course and something you might think is pop might be considered more rock, and so on, but that's something you find everywhere. Music stores in Japan also have Japanese and Western sections for convenience, but I personally feel there's a distinct difference in the sound on the whole.

Oh, I can think of one genre Japan has: enka. It's a folk-lounge kind of music with a distinct sound. It's kind of a traditional style of music, but if you want to hear what it sounds like a fun example is Jero who happens to be a young American guy

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
Most of the artists I follow come out of anime, nico nico douga, and Music Station Super Lives

supercell, Kobukuro, Sakamoto Maayaa, Choucho, Remioromen, YUI, Lia, Baseball Bear, B'z, Yanagi Nagi, as well as stuff composed by Maeda Jun, tokuP or kz. Instumentals-wise, I've been a fan of Key Sound Label and Falcom jdk band, though there's plenty of osts i've liked.

Hmm, I'm generally ok with most of the stuff that comes out of Japan (that I've heard), but I tend towards Rock and Pop.

Because I liked music more back whenProbably the way they do the music, really. The rhythm and tone just clicks for me. The fact that I never listen to English music unless it's on the radio in the car (i don't drive) probably helps too.

As mentioned in 1. I would also recommend watching some of the Music Station for music too if you can find it. I've been watching the Super Lives myself, though the boy band/idol group thing seems to have really taken off a lot more in the last few years. I actually discovered B'z, Kobukuro, and Remioromen off Super Live 2005. I've also heard good things about Mr. Children, though I've yet to listen to too many of their songs.

Hagumi

For a sick boy
Years
I couldn't pick a single favourite, so I'll just list some of my favourites: Perfume, capsule, 8#Prince, DJ Shimamura, RoughSketch, kous, sasakure.UK, DECO*27, Clean Tears, ゆよゆっぺ, kz (livetune), U-ske, -45... As you can see, I'm more of a doujin music fan, although a few of the examples I listed are doujin-turned-professional artists. But I primarily listen to doujin music.

Pretty much anything J-Core (happy hardcore, speedcore, etc.) and other electronic music (house, trance, etc.). I like pop, some heavy metal and some 'easy listening' music, as well as a few other genres.

There's no particular reason, I just happen to like it.

Years
I've also heard good things about Mr. Children, though I've yet to listen to too many of their songs.
Mr. Children are pretty good. I haven't heard a whole lot of them, but I liked what I heard. I think they're as good as Kobukuro or Remiomen Remioromen Remiomorirenmeren that other band.

blackmorale

風の行方
Years
☆ I have many favorites, really. L'Arc~en~Ciel, the GazettE, Alice Nine, ViViD, Nightmare, An Cafe, etc.

☆ J-Rock, some J-Pop. ("Favorite song" would be difficult to answer :c)

☆ Japanese Music is "attractive" to me. There's just something about listening to music you can't completely understand but whose lyrics are quite familiar.

☆ I'll suggest a couple of songs by each band I mentioned above:
* L'Arc: GOOD LUCK MY WAY, MY HEART DRAWS A DREAM
* the GazettE: REMEMBER THE URGE, RUTHLESS DEED
* Alice Nine: Hana
* ViViD: Blue
* Nightmare: MELODY, Can you do it?
* An Cafe: S☆B☆Y, Aijo Cycling

Hope you'll give 'em a try~ o/

Years
Japanese music just great, cant explain why,
But I prefer the darker song and with chorus/orchestra

Ayumi Hamasaki is my fav (not Japan only but in the world) love her songs

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
Ayumi Hamasaki is my fav (not Japan only but in the world) love her songs
Which reminded me, I seem to only hear and catch female singers. Do the male not sing for Japan or something? I mean I've always prefer female singers and I do when it comes to J-Music as well. I just noticed that, unless I'm not expanding the interest of the J-Music as I thought :\

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Which reminded me, I seem to only hear and catch female singers. Do the male not sing for Japan or something? I mean I've always prefer female singers and I do when it comes to J-Music as well. I just noticed that, unless I'm not expanding the interest of the J-Music as I thought :\

Hmm.. perhaps you're just not looking in the right place? I always tend to listen to more boys than girls and Japan has a lot of boybands like Arashi. I'm a huge fan of Dir en Grey but it may not be everyone's cup of tea since they are pretty wild..

Back