• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I get the Danganronpa series? (help I guess)

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
To be completely honest... I'm not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else. So I posted it here. If this is the incorrect area, a mod is free to move it to it's proper location.

So... I just read that Danganronpa is being re-released for the PS4. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/199369-danganronpa-1-2-reload

I've heard A LOT about this series. Too much honestly. I was planning on watching the anime too. I don't know much about it. Well... I know a little about it from stuff I've read about it.

The question now is... since the first 2 games are being re-released for the PS4... should I get it?

I would like this forum's opinion on if I should get it or not. I want various opinions that aren't biased.

I guess it's similar to Ace Attorney? Is it? It seems to be but I'm not sure honestly. I mean if it is then that's a plus to get me to get it.

I just want some opinions here. I've heard too much about it and I'm curious to see what the big deal is.

So... should I get it?

Feel free to persuade me to get it if you're a fan of the series. ;)

I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I'm a fan of the series but I haven't played them myself. I'm just here for the story, which is why I wanted the anime and Let's Plays on Youtube. I would suggest checking out gameplay on Youtube to see if that's the sort of thing you like? You basically "click" on things to select them (although you can move your character around in the second). It's basically a murder mystery game; every culprit is someone that is present and you have to figure it out, with there also being a few overall mysteries to figure out.

It depends on if it's the type of game you'd like to play. I think the story is compelling because the culprits are all fellow students.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
oh....PS4's starting to accumulate shit I'd actually wanna buy

kinda glad it's slated to come out next year cuz like I kinda should be saving money and this'd be a several hundred dollar purchase

But anyway, it is a murder mystery game with gameplay segments that are essentially trials (though I'm not sure how similar to Ace Attorney trials), and it borders a bit on being a visual novel. I thought that the story as great really.

It just depends on how much you're into the genre I guess. maybe someone else will have something more helpful to say

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I've heard A LOT about this series. Too much honestly. I was planning on watching the anime too.
I wouldn't much recommend it as a first experience. If you want a hyper-condensed version of the first game, the show's serviceable (and its ending theme isn't bad), but I feel like it's much more engaging to bite into the game since you'll probably end up liking the characters more as a result, and a lot of the gags are left in place. As well as choices, yadda yadda. Point is, if you /do/ want to get into the series, I'd recommend playing the games. And pleeeease don't skip around, DR is incredibly nonchalant about spoilers to previous games in its series, and the twists are part of the reason the narrative's so interesting, from my perspective.

I guess it's similar to Ace Attorney? Is it? It seems to be but I'm not sure honestly. I mean if it is then that's a plus to get me to get it.
Heh...I actually wrote a paper on this for a game design class. I'd honestly plop the entire thing here if I knew where it was. Well, point is

Yes and no. It does have courtrooms and investigations, but the investigations are a lot more straightforward "find everything, talk to everyone" affairs. But the exploration's in first person 3D environments, so it isn't particularly tedious moving from one place to the next. As for the actual trials, they're a lot closer to action games but still employ a fair amount of logic. You will be shooting down contradictions with evidence, but in a more literal sense. As you'll be shooting the contradictions with actual facts. There are also various minigames in between that rely on quick thinking to win- so no, it's not like Ace Attorney. They are both VNs most of the time and they have similar ideas, but the ways they go about them are wholly different, both of which are fun in their own distinct ways.

And as for what I think...well, DR 1 and 2 are out on the Vita and Computer, soon the PS4, and in all cases it's just getting cheaper and easier to find as time goes on. I personally love the series. I was kind of in a similar case, where I only knew that it was popular with a quirky concept, so I saw the first game on sale one day and ended up buying it...a year ago? I think it was about then. It's since become one of my favorite series. If you aren't sold, I'd personally say just get the first one when it's on sale and then get the second one if you end up liking it, rather than going all in and buying the bundle on PS4. But it's a series I'd recommend any day, especially to someone who seems to be echoing my thoughts when I was in a pretty similar position.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Alright thanks for the assistance. I'll probably post something similar on GameFAQs in the next couple of months or so.

What about Ultra Despair Girls? Do I have to play that or can I get away with skipping/not playing it? I guess it's a survival horror and that's not really my type of game...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Reload does not give you complete experience as you would have from playing both standalone games but... (wrong info)

I guess it is a good opportunity for people who do not have Vita.

oh....PS4's starting to accumulate ****
Remasters? :P

What about Ultra Despair Girls? Do I have to play that or can I get away with skipping/not playing it? I guess it's a survival horror and that's not really my type of game...
Depends on whether you want to continue with the story with anime.
D3 anime uses UDG storyline.
If you are content with D1 and D2 you don't need UDG.

And it's simply TPS, nothing horror or survivor there.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
I don't know where you're getting your information but I haven't seen or read anything that has stated the games are going to be 'gutted' or whatever. I'm going to need some proof of this.

Also... what does 'TPS' mean? Sorry if I sound stupid.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
?

Why do you say that? Pretty sure they aren't gutting any content.
Oh, really. I swear I read something about Reload having only island mode, that's why I said that. But now that I checked again, both school and island mode are available. Dunno where I saw the incorrect info.

In any case, that's my bad.

Also... what does 'TPS' mean? Sorry if I sound stupid.
Third Person Shooter.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Oh okay thanks for the clarification. I'm not the greatest at shooters and I don't tend to like them though.

The only shooters I've played is Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII and the Ratchet & Clank series (if that even counts)

Either way I'm not going to worry about Ultra Despair Girls until/unless they decide to re-release it for the PS4 as well.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
I'll be attempting to do more research on the series and likely posting something similar to this on GameFAQs in the Danganronpa 1-2 Reload board.

I'll make my final decision afterwards. I have plenty of time anyway since there's no specific date for the game yet anyway.

:3c

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
Years
Huuuuuge Danganronpa fan right here! It sort of like Ace Attorney, but it's easier to get attached to the characters. Plus, there is a constant sense of dread because you will probably fall head over heels for a character, and they either get killed or executed after the class trial. But that's okay because a lot of the characters have a lot of development.

The story is fantastic, the characters are A+, and has some of the best twists I have ever seen in a visual novel series. Plus, it's best to get into Danganronpa now. Danganronpa V3 is coming out next year as well, so you can join the hype bandwagon with me!

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
Years
Sure it is coming but V3 is not going to be related to Kibougamine arc =)

I'm perfectly okay with that. Hope's Peak is over. The anime ruined concluded the story, and that is fine. I'm just excited that it is expanding more into the world of Danganronpa.

Back