The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Zivlok

Nature: Naughty
I love Wattson's incredibly jolly sprite, but I HATED battling him. Hands down the hardest gym leader battle in the game for me. On the plus side, once I finally beat him, I'd done enough grinding that I was actually slightly above the power curve for the rest of the game.
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Alloute
Cat Burglar

Nature: Relaxed
Loved Flannery cuz she was hot lol and Wallace was pretty art savvy and cool. I liked pretty much all the Hoenn Gym leaders actually.
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Ari Niko
Sincerity

Nature: Bold
Norman was great

I liked the idea of having a father in the games, especially since they actually made him a challenge unlike most of the gyms!
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Golden_spider

Nature: Quiet
Norman because he can be a challenge and he is your DAD, he shows that the monkeys can be useful to use and his final one can be DEADLY if it can get you with a focus punch.

Last edited by Golden_spider; October 7th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old October 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
poke-loving-actor

I liked Flannery because she was sooooo pretty! =) She was my first fictional girl character crush that i had....not that it matters, she's FICTIONAL =(
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:01 PM
mrpokemonxy

Wallace cuz he looks calm and chill gym leader
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:02 AM
Totodilemaster

Nature: Timid
Norman the father with his Slaking

Fying mono-type challenge :

Kanto : 1/8
Jhoto : 0/18
Hoenn : 0/8
Sinnoh : 0/8
Unova : 0/8
All : 1/50
Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
ShockBlaze
Game Designer

Yeah Norman was the hardest for me.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
Wyrdfell

Nature: Mild
My favorite leader is Winona, great pokemon, and she's the only one I had difficulty with once
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Lesqx
eRepublik Player

My favourite gym leader is Flannery.. I have many problems to defeat Flannery first time :D
Hot, hot, and hot!

MODE/EDIT:

And Winona, cool pokemons, hard to defeat for me

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by Lesqx; October 27th, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM
henush

the battle with the dad was the coolest
Old October 26th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Lesqx
eRepublik Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by henush View Post
the battle with the dad was the coolest
For me is the worst xD

Too easy... But fight against Dad is good idea

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by Lesqx; October 27th, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old October 27th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Jolly
Wattson for me. I've always found him the most challenging leader, and considering I play Emerald a fair amount because of monotype challenges, he's always the one that manages to beat me. Generally, I enjoy his personality and that cheeky smile on his sprite is a nice touch. Plus, because of him you get TBolt. That's never gonna harm his rep.
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Charcoal92

Nature: Careful
Mine is Watson. He reminds me of my late Great Grandpa and that is the reason I grew on him. He reminds me of my "hot blooded electric" Great grandpa.
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:17 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
The Burning Emotion

Nature: Gentle

None other then one and only NORMAN ! Norman is a really great gym leader he deserve what he is. He is the really man i see in Emerald i really like him. and also his strong normal type Pokemon.

Norman is the Gym Leader of Petalburg City's Gym, known officially as the Petalburg Gym, and the father of the player in Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. He is an expert of Normal-type Pokémon, and hands out the Balance Badge to any Trainer who defeats him.

Norman is also the player character's father in Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald no matter which gender is selected. The other gender choice (and therefore the rival) is the child of Professor Birch.
Although he is the first Gym Leader encountered, he refuses to battle until the player has at least four Badges. Before stating this, he first introduces the player to Wally (secondary rival) which is when the Pokémon catching tutorial happens. Once he is beaten, he gives the player the Balance Badge.
Norman and his family are originally from Johto. He, as well as the player, have just moved to Hoenn so that he could take up the position of Gym Leader. People have come to describe him as someone who "lives for Pokémon."
Norman also provides special items scanned in via e-Reader to the player.

Norman's Pokemon :

Vigoroth was first seen in There's no Place Like Hoenn after Norman agreed to have an unofficial battle with Ash due to his lack of having less than three Pokémon. After a tough battle with Ash's Pikachu, Vigoroth managed to defeat him. Later, it helped in destroying one of Team Rocket's mechas that was attacking the Gym.
It appeared again in Love, Petalburg Style!, when May, Max, Brock and Kenny saw it hanging from a brunch at a place where Norman keeps his Pokémon. It then hugged Max. Team Rocket also planned to steal it for Giovanni, along with Slakoth and Slaking. When Ash arrived at the forest, Vigoroth fell onto Ash. Ash was happy to see Vigoroth again.
Vigoroth was seen again in Balance of Power, in Ash and Norman's official Gym battle, where it was the second Pokémon used by the Gym Leader. It at first managed to easily dodge Torkoal's Overheat, and knocked out Torkoal with Scratch. After this, it had an intense battle with Ash's Pikachu. Norman ordered Vigoroth to use Scratch, but was surprised when Ash told Pikachu to take the hit. Vigoroth's Scratch attack hit home, but the powerful Pokémon was suddenly paralyzed by Pikachu's innate Static Ability. Seizing the opportunity, Pikachu attacked with Iron Tail, knocking Vigoroth out. However, Pikachu wasted all of his energy, and was also knocked out in the process.
Vigoroth's known moves are Scratch and Flamethrower.

Slaking :

Slaking made its debut in Love, Petalburg Style!, in which it was staying in Norman's greenhouse with the rest of his Pokémon. It later battled against Ash's Grovyle in Ash's Gym Battle against Norman, but was ultimately defeated.

Slakoth :

Norman's Slakoth first appeared in Love, Petalburg Style!, at a forest where Norman keeps his Pokémon. It appeared again in Balance of Power!, during Norman's battle with Ash. The match started with Norman's Slakoth against Ash's Pikachu. Utilizing Pikachu's speed, Ash ordered Pikachu to use Quick Attack. Slakoth dodged this and counterattacked with Shadow Ball. Jumping out of the way, Pikachu attacked with Iron Tail but missed once again as Slakoth leaned out of the way. Dazed, Pikachu was unable to dodge Slakoth's Hidden Power, and was blasted across the arena.
As Pikachu recovered from Hidden Power, Ash realized that he needed to change his strategy. He decided to try Electric attacks and ordered Pikachu to attack with Thunderbolt. However Slakoth dodged this attack as well, and responded with Blizzard. The incredible cold kept Pikachu from attacking back, so Ash recalled him and sent out Torkoal instead. Torkoal used Flamethrower, which easily blasted through Slakoth's Blizzard and scored a direct hit, knocking Slakoth out.
Slakoth's known moves are Shadow Ball, Hidden Power, and Blizzard.

His Pokemon are Mostly the Slakoth family but he also does appearance in Black 2 & White 2 where he use really very Attacking Normal type Pokemon. His name Norman and Normal are kinda same the designer and director give him a very good name that match with Normal
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Ziposaki

Tate and Liza, no doubt. It was fascinating seeing kids about my age in control of such an esteemed job, being dual gym leaders. I also have a theory that they can manipulate and stretch time as psychic masters, and are actually both the gym leaders and the old people guarding the spheres at Mt. Pyre. (They didn't do quite a good job at that, but still.) Otherwise, they are too destined to take over the job of watching the orbs.
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:50 PM
lmcde22

Flannery for looks (she's hot, deal with it), Wattson for pesonality (all round cool guy) and Tate and Liza for battle technique (Lunatone + Solrock + Calm Mind = Hell)
Old October 31st, 2013, 11:07 AM
Agous
Solid Mercury?

Nature: Sassy
By far Juan. he had a type of energy and elegance that created a great and intense atmosphere. not to mention he was the last leader and played in the story line!

I miss my friends everynight...
I wonder where they are now...

Old October 31st, 2013, 01:16 PM
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph

I would've said Wattson, but realised that I liked him entirely for his anime character, whereas in the games, he wasn't very defined. He had his little New Mauville sidequest, but it didn't really tell much about his character, other than he cared about having Hoenn receive power, but it could just be for selfish and economical gains :p

No, my favourite gym leader is rather Norman. Aside from being the one I enjoyed battling the most, because he was the one that really pushed me to a point of using strategy rather than just what was super effective in my most recent battle with him, I really like him conceptually as well. It's the first time we ever get to see our in-game dad, and turns out he's a gym leader! I mean, how cool is that :p But yeah, while they definitely don't really build on the want to battle him, just the fact that you get to battle your dad and prove how strong you've become on your journey in front of him, is a really good design choice, and the only thing that could really be improved, lies in the little character development that the Pokemon games really provide us with. And really, when we're presented with so many characters, it's hard to make them all fit in, although they've been starting to make quite an effort in the newer games at least :p

But yeah, I like Norman both for his concept and the design of his team, and feel like he's one of the better gym leaders the franchise has presented us with so far :p
Old November 18th, 2013, 10:30 AM
devastatinq

Nature: Gentle
Tate and Liza. Even if they were super hard to beat with the team I had then, it was fun and exciting. I was literally jumping up and down fanatically firing attack after attack, because I just couldn't sit still. Especially after being beaten once already (yes, I am aware I should've just trained my Pokémon but laziness) I just wanted to beat them so badly!

Last edited by devastatinq; November 18th, 2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: lol I miswrote things in my haste
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links