• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Ok, so can anyone suggest to me a program to insert trainer sprites?
unLZ

1-Up said:
Ok, I've searched all over to learn how to use Shynizer and I can't find it. Can anyone help me use this with Fire Red? I would like to up the chances of encountering shiny pokemon in the wild, and set some special pokemon to be shiny if I can. (like the starter)
I couldn't find any tutorials for Shinyzer. But, you could take a look at M_X's Shiny Routine. It requires ASM. I don't know how it's possible to increase the shiny rate in the wild though :/

rstar095

Baby Seal Clubber
Years
ok i tried editing the block behavior and map data but it didnt work. Im trying to get the normal small grass to act like the tall grass and have pokemon appear. Ive seen ruby destiny do this but Im not sure how to do it. Im making my game a real open world game like fallout, and this would be really helpful. any help would be apppreciated.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2011
ok i tried editing the block behavior and map data but it didnt work. Im trying to get the normal small grass to act like the tall grass and have pokemon appear. Ive seen ruby destiny do this but Im not sure how to do it. Im making my game a real open world game like fallout, and this would be really helpful. any help would be apppreciated.

Not sure, But try making the area a cave type in A-map, instead of tall grass. (I'm pretty sure its an option. I'm not on A-map right now, haha.)
Maybe that will do the trick, since you don't need tall grass to run into wild pokemon in caves.

Drithlan

Self Proclaimed Cartographer
Years
For R/S/E, what's the special/flag for changing the clock's time?

Check the Colored Line in below Script.

Code:
'---------------
#org 0x1B6A9B
fadescreen 0x1
[COLOR=Cyan]special 0x9A[/COLOR]
waitstate
return

@rstar095

grass.jpg
In this image change the highlighted box to 01

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Check the Colored Line in below Script.

Code:
'---------------
#org 0x1B6A9B
fadescreen 0x1
[COLOR=Cyan]special 0x9A[/COLOR]
waitstate
return

View attachment 55722
In this image change the highlighted box to 01
Wait a minute couldn't I just say:

call @1B6A9B?

Instead of using special 0x9A?

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2014
im inserting tiles and as soon as i close my rom and reopen it in advanced map the tiles no my map scramble for no reaseon

i inserted the tiles into my tileset i recolored them and then brought it up in advanced map i load tileset and my tiles look perfectly fine now before i load the tileset it was scrambled as well i re map the map in advanced map then save and its still scrambled

i dont understand this at all

Matt140

Hi Peoplez!
Years
Hey guys!
I was wondering if it is possible to dynamically change an NPC's image at run time (i.e, when you talk to someone, their sprite changes from a man to a woman). Also, is it possible to change your trainer card sprite via scripting or would this involve ASM? If so, are there any good tutorials?

Thanks,
Matt.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Hey guys!
I was wondering if it is possible to dynamically change an NPC's image at run time (i.e, when you talk to someone, their sprite changes from a man to a woman). Also, is it possible to change your trainer card sprite via scripting or would this involve ASM? If so, are there any good tutorials?

Thanks,
Matt.

Both are completely possible but would require ASM. It's possible to change the player's image at any time with a script but I don't know if you can do the same for a NPC. As for ASM tutorials, I recommend JPAN's ASM Document and HackMew's Knowledge.

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
My title screen when opened up in a rom.

and this is the logo i imported.

How do i fix it.......
edited***....anyone XD?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm new to hacking, and I'm part of a small team doing a simple hack of FireRed, just changing Trainer names, the Pokemon they have, some of the dialogue, etc.

I ran into a problem when trying to change [rival] in the scripts to show a different name (as I don't know a better way to force a rival's name). When entering the new name in the script (changing it from [rival] to Jake) using XSE through Advance Map, everything looks okay, but it seems that whenever I compile it, another script from below it copies itself and moves to the end of the line. Basically, it turns from this:

Spoiler:

To this:

Spoiler:

How can I fix this? And is there a better way to change the rival's name?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, as I've said, I'm very new to this.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Hello everyone,

I'm new to hacking, and I'm part of a small team doing a simple hack of FireRed, just changing Trainer names, the Pokemon they have, some of the dialogue, etc.

I ran into a problem when trying to change [rival] in the scripts to show a different name (as I don't know a better way to force a rival's name). When entering the new name in the script (changing it from [rival] to Jake) using XSE through Advance Map, everything looks okay, but it seems that whenever I compile it, another script from below it copies itself and moves to the end of the line. Basically, it turns from this:

Spoiler:

To this:

Spoiler:

How can I fix this? And is there a better way to change the rival's name?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, as I've said, I'm very new to this.

I know what you did wrong but I'm not very good at explaining things so bear with me here.

Okay, so by default, the text strings are ordered as such:
1) 0x18DFBC ("OAK: Jake?\nLet me think[.]")
2) 0x18E0EA ("OAK: Be patient, Jake.")
3) 0x18DCB9 ("JAKE: Hey! Gramps! No fair!")

Now, the first string begins at 0x18DFBC and ends just before the next one. However, when you edited the string and replaced "[rival]" with "JAKE", you actually changed the length of the string. [rival] takes up two bytes in the ROM and "JAKE" takes up four. However, you didn't allow any extra room for the longer string. So your script editor (probably XSE) inserted that first string (the long one) into the ROM over the old one but because it was two bytes longer, the last two bytes were inserted where the second script used to be. So instead of ending at 0x18E0E9 (right before the beginning of the next string), it ended at 0x18E0EB. THEN, the compiler inserted the second string but didn't take into account the increase in length of the first string and put the second string at 0x18E0EA (which is where you told it to). Because of this, the tail end of the first script was cut off and replaced with the first part of the next string.

Now, when you're playing through the game and it's displaying a string, the way it knows when to stop displaying text is that there is a termination byte, more specifically, '0xFF'. Once the game reads that byte (as opposed to a letter or something), it stops displaying more characters. However, when you compiled that script after changing the length of the first string, the second string was inserted over the termination byte from the previous string. Because of that, the game displays the full first string (minus the last exclamation point because that, too, got overwritten) and then continues to read from what we know is the second string. That's why it adds the second string to the end of the first string.

As for fixing the problem, you'll have to repoint the first string because it's longer than it originally was. Find some free space in your ROM and use that address instead of 0x18DFBC. You'll have to change both the address right above the string ("#org 0x18DFBC") and the one in the script ("msgbox 0x818DFBC"). Hope that helps!

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2010
I know what you did wrong but I'm not very good at explaining things so bear with me here.

Okay, so by default, the text strings are ordered as such:
1) 0x18DFBC ("OAK: Jake?\nLet me think[.]")
2) 0x18E0EA ("OAK: Be patient, Jake.")
3) 0x18DCB9 ("JAKE: Hey! Gramps! No fair!")

Now, the first string begins at 0x18DFBC and ends just before the next one. However, when you edited the string and replaced "[rival]" with "JAKE", you actually changed the length of the string. [rival] takes up two bytes in the ROM and "JAKE" takes up four. However, you didn't allow any extra room for the longer string. So your script editor (probably XSE) inserted that first string (the long one) into the ROM over the old one but because it was two bytes longer, the last two bytes were inserted where the second script used to be. So instead of ending at 0x18E0E9 (right before the beginning of the next string), it ended at 0x18E0EB. THEN, the compiler inserted the second string but didn't take into account the increase in length of the first string and put the second string at 0x18E0EA (which is where you told it to). Because of this, the tail end of the first script was cut off and replaced with the first part of the next string.

Now, when you're playing through the game and it's displaying a string, the way it knows when to stop displaying text is that there is a termination byte, more specifically, '0xFF'. Once the game reads that byte (as opposed to a letter or something), it stops displaying more characters. However, when you compiled that script after changing the length of the first string, the second string was inserted over the termination byte from the previous string. Because of that, the game displays the full first string (minus the last exclamation point because that, too, got overwritten) and then continues to read from what we know is the second string. That's why it adds the second string to the end of the first string.

As for fixing the problem, you'll have to repoint the first string because it's longer than it originally was. Find some free space in your ROM and use that address instead of 0x18DFBC. You'll have to change both the address right above the string ("#org 0x18DFBC") and the one in the script ("msgbox 0x818DFBC"). Hope that helps!

That did the trick! Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2014
im inserting tiles and i have about 20% done i went to test my hack and if i try to go to route 2 as soon as i get on the map it freezes no matter what i do.can anybody help?

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
im inserting tiles and i have about 20% done i went to test my hack and if i try to go to route 2 as soon as i get on the map it freezes no matter what i do.can anybody help?
Maybe you should check the connctions. Make sure that tehy're both connecting to each other and the offsets are matching. If not, maybe it's the tiles.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2011
Hello Everyone.

I've got a problem with Advance Text. I'm trying to edit the wonder guard text, I.E. "[insert pokemon name here] avoided damage with WONDER GUARD!" However when I search, It always comes up with no result. This is a hack of Fire Red. Any solutions?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
Is it possible to give a Trainer a Shiny PKMN to use during battle?

EDIT:

@BOBTHEJOEBOB

You shouldn't use Advance Text. It is buggy and doesn't work well. You should wait until HackMew releases his new version of XSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back