• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Okay, I'm going to make a new RP!! once I have time... Which is soon!! It's going to be part mystery, and it's going to be really demanding though, it'll need to move along to the good part fast.

Project: D.N.A.

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
I am wanting to start a Pokemon RP. I joined with an RP 3 weeks ago. There has been 2 chapters posted. The "Game Master" has apologized for not posting new chapters for being busy, which is understandable but I was hoping to get to post atleast once a week. And out of the 7 of us doing the RP, only 3 have posted. There was also an entire 9 day period that no one posted anything. Not even the "Game Master". Well, I want to write and was thinking of heading up my own. I am debating on doing a Kanto or Johto RP. I noticed there is already both RP's has started. In the "Roleplay Rules 2011" section one of the rules is this.

Spoiler:

Would I be stealing someone elses idea by starting another Kanto or Johto RP?

Years
I am wanting to start a Pokemon RP. I joined with an RP 3 weeks ago. There has been 2 chapters posted. The "Game Master" has apologized for not posting new chapters for being busy, which is understandable but I was hoping to get to post atleast once a week. And out of the 7 of us doing the RP, only 3 have posted. There was also an entire 9 day period that no one posted anything. Not even the "Game Master". Well, I want to write and was thinking of heading up my own. I am debating on doing a Kanto or Johto RP. I noticed there is already both RP's has started. In the "Roleplay Rules 2011" section one of the rules is this.

Spoiler:

No. As long as you have a different plot from others, it's not stealing. You can make your RP different from others and there are many ways to do so. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

Spoiler:

Diamond above here is correct. As long as your plot is different or your game has other aspects to it, it's ok. Then, if it's too similar of course... Well, I'll simply tell you if that's so :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
No. As long as you have a different plot from others, it's not stealing. You can make your RP different from others and there are many ways to do so. :)

Diamond above here is correct. As long as your plot is different or your game has other aspects to it, it's ok. Then, if it's too similar of course... Well, I'll simply tell you if that's so :)

It was just going to be one of the same old, same old new trainer style RP. Go through the world describing what you are doing and the battles and such. How can I make it any more different than that?

Years
  • Seen Dec 24, 2011
It was just going to be one of the same old, same old new trainer style RP. Go through the world describing what you are doing and the battles and such. How can I make it any more different than that?

Well, that is kind of where you have to do the work. You have the come up with the idea that makes your RP unique, otherwise we might as well as make it ourselves. Just think of something relatively interesting/plot progressing that you don't see others do.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

Well, that is kind of where you have to do the work. You have the come up with the idea that makes your RP unique, otherwise we might as well as make it ourselves. Just think of something relatively interesting/plot progressing that you don't see others do.

Exactly. Or we might as well play the actual games or write a fanfiction...

Really, we've seen so many journey RPs already. I still love 'em, but if it's the exact same story as in the games, with Team Rocket holding Silph hostage, Team Magma/Aqua chasing Groudon/Kyogre and all... then there is little room for the fine elements of excitement and surprise, isn't there?

A new "bad team" with different goals than the old ones is a basic, easy way of changing something. *is guilty of that* Or maybe there isn't a bad team at all, but other forces at work. Or maybe the whole RP is a competition of some kind between your characters?

And changing the setting to maybe have a history of war/conflict/politics, or be in a completely new region or change an existing region/canon in other ways are other examples.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Project D.N.A.

Hiya, New roleplay teaser, note... it isn't a character just an example of what one could be... I want this to be fun!! So I'm thinking a lot about it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
Exactly. Or we might as well play the actual games or write a fanfiction...

Really, we've seen so many journey RPs already. I still love 'em, but if it's the exact same story as in the games, with Team Rocket holding Silph hostage, Team Magma/Aqua chasing Groudon/Kyogre and all... then there is little room for the fine elements of excitement and surprise, isn't there?

A new "bad team" with different goals than the old ones is a basic, easy way of changing something. *is guilty of that* Or maybe there isn't a bad team at all, but other forces at work. Or maybe the whole RP is a competition of some kind between your characters?

And changing the setting to maybe have a history of war/conflict/politics, or be in a completely new region or change an existing region/canon in other ways are other examples.

Hmmm....Now my mind is starting to stir. I'd kind of like to give the RP the same trainer going through the world style because I'd find it to be fun to write about it. Now it was stated not to steal others ideas but so I hope I'm not stealing specific ideas when I think of Mewtwo. F*ck Arceus, Mewtwo owns all lol. They just wanted to make something more powerful than Mewtwo, just like they keep dwarfing all the original 150. lol. Just to brain storm I was thinking of Mewtwo being the "main villain". Wreaking havoc on cities, similar to the movie of thinking poor of humans. Then something along the lines of the beginning trainers are chosen to find and defeat Mewtwo on the journey. Prehaps Professor Oak can tell by how the other Pokemon act that there is distress, or perhaps Mewtwo owned Arceus who now has to seek additional help. Now if this sounds lame or maybe could use some ideas I'm open for anything. Positives, negatives, criticism. Um, I can brainstorm in this thread right? Please, if this idea hasn't been taken, I ask no one else steals it.

Last edited:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
That sounds pretty good, definitely haven't seen that plot yet either. I'd say go ahead with it.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
Years
Hi there, RP Disc.!

I've been out and away from PC for nearly a year and I was thinking of restarting an RP that I began before my absence but was unable to officially "start". The name of the RP was +Pokéma and I really liked the idea, thus regretting that it never took off.

Here's the post I had planned originally:
Spoiler:

I'd like to know if there's still interest in an RP like this before I try and recreate it. :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
Can anyone tell me if there is a limit to how much beginning plot, or prologue there should be? I have one ready to go but its going to have ALOT of information. I fear this may take a long time to read. I suppose you could equate it to the prologue in the last two or three mortal kombat games. Its just the big story starting with explaining how things are and what has happened and such. This may take me a few days to get it perfect but should I make it just short? I noticed alot of other RP's have just a quick overview of what is happening. Would it be bad if it was incredibly long? And if its fine to do that, should I wrap it in a spoiler?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Hi there, RP Disc.!

I've been out and away from PC for nearly a year and I was thinking of restarting an RP that I began before my absence but was unable to officially "start". The name of the RP was +Pokéma and I really liked the idea, thus regretting that it never took off.

Spoiler:

I'd like to know if there's still interest in an RP like this before I try and recreate it. :D
Ah, I remember that RP :D I don't know how well known that manga is, but if you make it so that people can play along without having read it, I'd say post away :) Just, maybe add breaks between paragraphs. Much easier to read that way.

And: ADD A RATING. Hm, why do people miss that particular rule all the time? I know it's not always easy to know exactly what rating you want an RP to have, but you CAN change it later on (if all the players agree on that an RP wants to move towards, say, PG-15 instead of the slightly less mature PG-13), so better be safe than sorry.

Can anyone tell me if there is a limit to how much beginning plot, or prologue there should be? I have one ready to go but its going to have ALOT of information. I fear this may take a long time to read. I suppose you could equate it to the prologue in the last two or three mortal kombat games. Its just the big story starting with explaining how things are and what has happened and such. This may take me a few days to get it perfect but should I make it just short? I noticed alot of other RP's have just a quick overview of what is happening. Would it be bad if it was incredibly long? And if its fine to do that, should I wrap it in a spoiler?

This is an example of an RP with relatively little story. And this is an example of an RP with relatively much story. You can put some parts in spoilers if you want to, but then you should probably write a header above the spoiler.

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
Ah, I remember that RP :D I don't know how well known that manga is, but if you make it so that people can play along without having read it, I'd say post away :) Just, maybe add breaks between paragraphs. Much easier to read that way.

And: ADD A RATING. Hm, why do people miss that particular rule all the time? I know it's not always easy to know exactly what rating you want an RP to have, but you CAN change it later on (if all the players agree on that an RP wants to move towards, say, PG-15 instead of the slightly less mature PG-13), so better be safe than sorry.

This is an example of an RP with relatively little story. And this is an example of an RP with relatively much story. You can put some parts in spoilers if you want to, but then you should probably write a header above the spoiler.

I think my Prologue could pass as its own chapter...is that too much? Should I cut it down?

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
Years

Thanks! :D
I'll refine it a bit (that was c/p from my original document... a year ago) and put the formatting back in - and pick a rating - before submitting it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I think my Prologue could pass as its own chapter...is that too much? Should I cut it down?

If you're really unsure, you can PM me the opening post before posting it in the forum. But since threads are moderated, I will see it before anyone else anyways.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Hi there, RP Disc.!

Spoiler:

AHHHHHHHGHGHGHG. Awwwwww. Darn, I Am making something just like this only different, so i guess I won't do it since u had the idea first.
EDIT: You know what I don't think it's that much like it, Ill send you a copy of mine ~Kon. When I'm done and if it's too much like yours I won't do it.

Last edited:

Wasen

The Wolf of Darkness
Years
Anywone who is acquaintance with Fire Emblem can join my Fire Emblem RP. We have started little on it but it's not too late to join it :)

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
I've decided not to post my RP for a while until a few die down, because some are kind of like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back