• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Specify! - A Game of Recommendations

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm...not feeling all too creative today, as you can see by the title. But, I thought of this during work and I think it might be a fun idea.

Specify!
A Game of Recommendations

Have you ever been in the mood to play a game with a certain setting, certain type of game feel, or a combination of things, but never really have the detail it would take to ask without making a thread or googling to no avail? Well, let us be your search bar! In this thread, you'll specify the type of game you want (it can be a genre, a setting, an atmosphere, a tone- get as specific as you want) and the upcoming posters will try to recommend something for you if they have something that fits the criteria or something similar to it!

Here's how it works, the first poster will post the type of game they want, like so:
Hm...so I have friends over a lot but I'm mostly into RPGs, which aren't traditionally multiplayer. Anyone know anything that might be fun to play in a group?

And then, the next poster (or, if you want, any poster afterwards) will recommend a game like so:
Dokapon Kingdom, definitely. It's a Party game like Mario Party or Fortune Street, but it's also a kind of traditional RPG. It's really fun and great for a group, but you'll all end up hating each other by the end.

As mentioned, the recommendations and specifications can be as long or as short as you want them to. Don't feel compelled to write paragraphs upon paragraphs if you don't want to, just try to get across what you're looking for and, in the case of recs, push that the game fits what the requester is looking for. And if you don't have something to recommend, you don't have to. Reply to any post at any place in the thread or post what you're looking for even if someone before you posted a request. Just use this as your own little game queue attuned to your specific tastes!

What do you get for this? Well, probably likes, as well as the joy of potentially brightening someone's day or having your day brightened, and who knows? Maybe you might end up with an emblem for your pinpoint accuracy recommendations.

Most importantly though, let's have some fun, yeah?​

---

With that, I'll start. It's been a while since I've played a solid Turn-based RPG. Anyone know one with a more unconventional battle system on the SNES?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
At this particular moment in time, i would really recommend something like...Terranigma. Its more of an action RPG for the SNES but i remember it being particularly kinda intricate in stuff.

So i've been thinking, I think I've played a couple of First Person Shooters a ton as of this very moment so I've been looking for more 3rd Person shooters or any 3rd person action game for a little bit of a change of pace. Any console. PC and PS3 preferably. Then again I wouldn't mind any FPS addition to my library again so feel free to recommend me something.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Vanquish. Hands down, one of the fastest and rewarding third person shooters out there. There's so much degree of freedom in how you approach things, it's fantastic. Take your time? Go ahead. Blaze through? Power slide to your heart's content, don't overheat the suit though. You can even slow down time, if things are getting a little bit too hectic; which is a common occurrence. Heck, you don't even have to shoot people. Giving them a couple of powered punches and pummeling can work too.

Ignoring the Japanese, Vanquish did get localized on the PS3 and 360. But, seriously. Once you get the controls down, you feel like a total badass afterwards.
With that, I'll start. It's been a while since I've played a solid Turn-based RPG. Anyone know one with a more unconventional battle system on the SNES?
Live-A-Live is a cute one. A cool JRPG, with an interesting grid-base combat that's similar to SRPG and a story that spans across multiple time periods with different protagonists in each. Though, I have a feeling that you've already played this one.

So, Treasure of Rudras is another one I can throw in your direction. Unfortunately, the battle system is as vanilla as you can get since it's a Square game. But, the magic system is one the coolest that I've seen. Basically, you use mantras to cast spells, to do that you have to input a word (It can be complete gibberish if you wanted it to be) of your choosing and the game will generate an effect for it. An example, you can use the word 'MEGAMI', and it'll be a simple spell to heal. Or you can put in 'CHUCKNORRIS' and it'll be a spell that deals light damage. To add even more variety, there are specific prefixes and suffixes that can be added to alter the effects of the spell; allowing for an insane amount of experimentation. You can actually have overpowered spells that only cost 1 MP at the beginning of the game; provided you know the mantra for it.

---

Lately, I've been having a puzzle game urge for some odd reason. I've only really played the more popular franchises like Tetris, Puyo-Puyo, Puzzle League, and Puzzle Bobble. So, something along those lines would be nice. Though, I'm completely open for any suggestion of unique or hybrid puzzle games like Puzzle Quest.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
^ Something that may not be as unique or maybe within the lines of tetris? Tetris Battle. I remember Tetris Battle being the "in-thing" in Facebook but I'm glad that a non FB version is readily availabe at tetrisfriends for those who don't like going to facebook just to play some tetris. It is very fun in Facebook or anything that enables like Player vs Player contact. I tell you know, Tetris vs an actual player is legit fun.

ALRIGHT LADIES AND DUDES, For most of you who all know me by now, or okay I apologize for sounding a lil self-centered, for those who are curious about me, I'm a crazed screaming lunatic who loves nothing more than just some nice, hot, and juicy Blood, Ultraviolence, and Murder, so recommend me something that I may not have heard before, something for PC preferably, PS3 may apply.

pkmin3033

Drakengard 3 will do you in a pinch - the blood flies. It's a very violent game indeed; the whole premise (at least to start with) is the "protagonist" Zero out to murder her sisters for only vaguely explored reasons. The game proceeds to take you through stages where you carve your way through hordes of goons, and occasionally blast your way through them on the back of your trusty, disturbingly high-pitched child dragon. And a splendid time will be had by all.

As for me...I'm looking for a Metroidvania title that isn't Axiom Verge on a current generation system. Anyone point me in the direction of one? A recent-ish (within the last five years) PC title would also be acceptable.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Ori and the Blind Forest should satisfy what you are looking for ^^

Alright, i'm not really looking for anything specific in terms of theme and such, but I'm looking for a good ole 2009 to Pre 2009 Windows PC game for me to play. Anything old, but not too old. Along the lines of the 2000-2009 year.

pkmin3033

I'm going to boot you in the general direction of Star Wars: Republic Commando. It's a FPS released in 2005 that sees you control a whimsical squad of...well, Republic commandos. The dialogue is absolutely fantastic, and the music spectacular. We could use more shooters like this in present day.

Now I'm going to ask for a Nintendo 3DS title...something NOT developed by Nintendo, and not an RPG. Any genre is fine. Surprise me.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
indie rpg with lots of replay value? I reckon this one might be hard.

CTHULHU SAVES THE WORLD. Sorry for the caps. but this game has been recommended to be by a crapton of my friends who are more in the RPG side of things.

ALRIGHT SUNNY JIMS AND SUNNY JILLS, YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS? ITS HIGH NOON! Time for me to ask for something actually legit. So recently, I've been playing some Parasite Eve 1 via ePSXe and its so glorious. Being able to play a game that I never fully played and all, so the PSX was rather famous for them sweet delicious Squaresoft games so please recommended me something that Squaresoft other than any Final Fantasy game since the chances are, I've played MOST of the ones i liked (FF9 which i have not, is already in my hitlist). I have plans on playing some Brave Fencer Musashi once i get far enough from PE1. So Squaresoft. I wanna play something from them as a reminder of a once great company that has touched the lives of millions of PSX owners.

pkmin3033

...welp, since you didn't specify, I'm going to randomly recommend you play Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX on the 3DS, because it's a good way to get into rhythm gaming, it has a cute art style, and the life management aspect of it gets strangely addicting...plus Doremi fa Rondo is one of the songs on it. Best Miku song ever.

Aaaaanywho. I am looking for a visual novel on PC. Something relatively unheard of - so, not one that has had an anime series, or is part of Zero Escape. Any genre will do.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
The fault - milestone series might be worth consideration. A cute story that follows the adventures of a princess and her knight, while they try to return to their recently-attacked kingdom. The art style is passable as well. Both currently released parts have demos, so you could download part 1's and see if you like the feel of it.

Some things that need to be noted. It's an episodic series, so the story isn't finished, nor will it be when the prequel and part 3 come out later this year. It's a little bit steep in price. Both parts are $16.99 and last around 4 - 6 hours, however, when the Summer Steam sale drops later this month. At minimum part 1 will be discounted at 75% and part 2 at 50%, possibly even more.

If the whole episodic thing turns you off. You can go delve into absurdity with Hatoful Boyfriend, as you conquer the hearts of ikemen pigeons.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Since you forgot to randomly recommend a game, I'll recommend one for you. Its called Epic Battle Fantasy :3

anyway, I'm looking for a game so i can fulfill my virtual dreams of bein a Gangsta, shooting other gangstas and even cops if i have to, and other than GTA of course. Might be a challenging task that I've laid upon but oh well. Gimme what you have.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 4, 2017
Related to Advanced Wars.. thats' a toughie. I mean, i remember back in the day, ADV Wars was the sh1t. It was definitely the definitive hand held strategy game in my eyes.

There's Bahamut Lagoon that a friend of mine played. That may work out well..

Okay laddies, since i played some of that BF1 Beta and now looking forward for the new release. I need something to help me pass out the time. Maybe anything related to war and history. Something to keep the blood flowing but at the same time, help me appreciate things.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Mafia II or Company of Heros II for slower games, and RPG and RTS respectively. For a shooter, I'd try Day of Infamy, a slightly more realistic but not ARMA realistic WWII FPS. Lastly, there's always Verdun, the game I will be playing instead of the overpriced DLC that is Battlefield 1.

I seem to be looking for a niche that needs scratching. Either an open world WWII game, or a more linear that lets you select inventory before deploying. Something more recent if possible. Lastly, not Enemy Front or MOHA please!

Back