• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
First of all, the battle started clean, no one was paralyzed or something. Nothing at all, it was the first turn so by that, there is no way my speed can decline. His first move was wood hammer and he struck first. So do you think it is the scarf? And yeah, my SP.Attack and Defense is Extremely low, In fact I didn't care much since Garchomp always gives me a one hit win....Back then I didn't know what where IVs and EVs so, I didn't know I can make a change to his defense and SP.attack.
I don't think you can increase Garchomp's Defense and Special Attack at this point, since you may have maxed out Garchomp's EVs unwittingly when you trained it.

Also, what's your Garchomp's Speed at level 50 (since it's the level cap in the Battle Subway)? Its Speed at that level could be whether or not Choice Scarf let Torterra outspeed Garchomp.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
I don't think you can increase Garchomp's Defense and Special Attack at this point, since you may have maxed out Garchomp's EVs unwittingly when you trained it.

Also, what's your Garchomp's Speed at level 50 (since it's the level cap in the Battle Subway)? Its Speed at that level could be whether or not Choice Scarf let Torterra outspeed Garchomp.

Well, first, when I said increase his defense and such, I meant b4 maxing out his Speed. Second of all, as stated above, Garchomp's Speed at lvl50 in the subway was 149....So....Could it Outspeed??

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well, first, when I said increase his defense and such, I meant b4 maxing out his Speed. Second of all, as stated above, Garchomp's Speed at lvl50 in the subway was 149....So....Could it Outspeed??

Gymnotide did the math for you above, and yes, a Torterra with a Scarf can outspeed a Garchomp with that speed. It's not unliikely, especially considering the Subway players are so haxy, I could see them getting perfect IV Pokemon.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years

What was the streak number you were on? Just for the record?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
AR RNGt

I was just wondering in which ways the Action Replay dsi can help me to RNG flawless IV'ed pokemon. At first I had hoped to purchase it just to just find my SID, but are there cool codes I can use to count seeds and find exact IV's as well?

Any other helpful information would be great :)
PM me please!
THANKS

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
I was just wondering in which ways the Action Replay dsi can help me to RNG flawless IV'ed pokemon. At first I had hoped to purchase it just to just find my SID, but are there cool codes I can use to count seeds and find exact IV's as well?

Any other helpful information would be great :)
PM me please!
THANKS

Standard abuse is not compatible with DSi,3DS, or any form of action replay. If you'd like to RNG and have an AR assist you, you'd have to stick to C-Gear Abuse, which is much more difficult than Standard Abuse (honestly, I wouldn't even bother).
Also, you don't need an AR to find your SID, use something like Pokécheck.
Using an action replay kinda defeats the purpose of RNGing anyway...

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2011
how do you increase the occupant in the white forest? because at the moment i dont have any grass or water or anything...

also, ive been reading a bit about EV training (ive never done this before but it seems like the way forward). i think i understand it on the whole, however how do you decide which stat(s) is the best to train? also, as you can only get 510 altogether all the things ive read say to get 252 in 2 stats and just neglect the others...am i right in thinking that?

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
how do you increase the occupant in the white forest? because at the moment i dont have any grass or water or anything...

also, ive been reading a bit about EV training (ive never done this before but it seems like the way forward). i think i understand it on the whole, however how do you decide which stat(s) is the best to train? also, as you can only get 510 altogether all the things ive read say to get 252 in 2 stats and just neglect the others...am i right in thinking that?

You need to use Entralink with someone near you who has Black and visit their Black City, talk to people, and some will come back with you. That's the only way to do it.

Generally, I look at the EV recommendations on Smogon, because I'm not great at figuring it out myself and even when I have an idea I don't want to mess it up, lol. However, usually at least one of the stats maxed is its best stat, while the other one can be another great stat you'd like to raise or a lower stat that you'd like to make not such a huge weakness. But I would still look up what EVs are best for individual Pokemon. And yeah, you have it right. With a few exceptions, builds are 252 in two stats, and then 4 of the remaining 6 points in a third stat.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2011

You need to use Entralink with someone near you who has Black and visit their Black City, talk to people, and some will come back with you. That's the only way to do it.

So if i dont know anyone with black then i simply cant get the benefits of the white forest?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Aaa....Currently, I am at 70 Win Streaks and paused..

jtlyk, at streaks zero to forty-nine, all foe IVs are set at 0. Then when they hit forty-nine and up, they jump to 31 in each stat (or perfect). That's probably why it gave you trouble--since its IVs AND EVs were perfect, while yours are more likely not (because perfect Pokemon are extremely hard to come by).

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2013
When using vitamins on a Pokemon to increase EVs, when it says "Doesn't affect <Pokemon>" does this mean that particular stat is maxed out in EVs of that stat, or does it stop working at a lower amount to stop you from only using vitamins?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
So if i dont know anyone with black then i simply cant get the benefits of the white forest?

Nope, you can't unfortunately.

Neltar said:
When using vitamins on a Pokemon to increase EVs, when it says "Doesn't affect <Pokemon>" does this mean that particular stat is maxed out in EVs of that stat, or does it stop working at a lower amount to stop you from only using vitamins?

After the Pokemon has 100 EVs in one stat, vitamins no longer work, as well as if it's overall maxed out on its EVs. So it could be either of those situations.

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2011
Ive looked around at some other places to try and get an answer but none of them really have helped sufficiently.
what is the difference between attack and special attack (and def, SpD)? i do kind of know but i dont know where the line is drawn? like, i thought fire type moves would be special attack but then darumaka, a fire type pokemon, has high attack but very low special attack.....

Molts

Novice Breeder
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
Ive looked around at some other places to try and get an answer but none of them really have helped sufficiently.
what is the difference between attack and special attack (and def, SpD)? i do kind of know but i dont know where the line is drawn? like, i thought fire type moves would be special attack but then darumaka, a fire type pokemon, has high attack but very low special attack.....

In Gen 4 and 5 (diamond, pearl, platinum, heartgold, soulsilver, black and white) for every attack, there's a symbol on the top right that tells you if the attack uses SpA or regular Attack. The red and orange symbol is for attack power, and the grey circle symbol is special attack. So flame wheel, and fire punch are "physcial" fire attacks, and fire blast and flamethrower are "special" fire attacks.

In gen 1, 2, and 3 all fire attacks are special attack.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
In Gen 4 and 5 (diamond, pearl, platinum, heartgold, soulsilver, black and white) for every attack, there's a symbol on the top right that tells you if the attack uses SpA or regular Attack. The red and orange symbol is for attack power, and the grey circle symbol is special attack. So flame wheel, and fire punch are "physcial" fire attacks, and fire blast and flamethrower are "special" fire attacks.

In gen 1, 2, and 3 all fire attacks are special attack.

The Special symbol is purplish; not light grey like the Status moves (but none of those moves are attack moves anyway).

SpecialIC.gif

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
This has never happened to me before I think. I went on to the Dream World earlier today, and finished the session like I always do: I picked my Pokemon at the Dream Tree, and I closed my session by clicking the power button at the upper right of the screen and choosing the first option it gives, allowing me to awaken my Pokemon and get in my game what I acquired in the Dream World that day. However, tonight I went to the Game Sync in my game to awaken me Pokemon, and received a message saying how I haven't yet received all of the "dream shards" (or "pieces" I assume) from my previous time in the Dream World, and if I awaken my Pokemon now, I'll lose that stuff.

What's this about? How is it fixed?

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
This has never happened to me before I think. I went on to the Dream World earlier today, and finished the session like I always do: I picked my Pokemon at the Dream Tree, and I closed my session by clicking the power button at the upper right of the screen and choosing the first option it gives, allowing me to awaken my Pokemon and get in my game what I acquired in the Dream World that day. However, tonight I went to the Game Sync in my game to awaken me Pokemon, and received a message saying how I haven't yet received all of the "dream shards" (or "pieces" I assume) from my previous time in the Dream World, and if I awaken my Pokemon now, I'll lose that stuff.

What's this about? How is it fixed?

That's not a problem at all. You transfered items from the dream world along with your Pokémon, correct? All you have to do is pick up your items. Just go to the Entralink (Hi-Link) and talk to the kid in front of the forest (the game does tell you this jsyk).

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2013
So, I decided I'd like to play some online battles. Random battles, trading and all of that.

I have a DS and I am about to complete the game (as in beat Ghetsis). I have a router with wifi and a functional DS etc etc well within reach of the router.

Is this all I need to be able to play? And is there anything I should know before I start battling? Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2011
what does it mean when it says "there is a pokemon outbreak on route X"?

also, when you want to EV train your pokemon in just 2 stats do you avoid fighting other pokemon which wont benefit that stat? because if not i dont see how you can get to 252 in 2 stats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back