• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Art of RNG [RNG Guide & Discussion]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I agree that not all shiny eeveelutions look good. I prefer most of them nonshiny too :P Good job though Omicron.

So jealous of all those Dittos Mia >.<

And for what I've been RNGing recently... finally decided to give 4th Gen another go for ID abuse. Took awhile but I managed to RNG HeartGold to get the ID/SID combo I wanted for shiny HP Grass Timid/Modest for the 3 legendary birds \o/

Reactions: EB

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I agree that not all shiny eeveelutions look good. I prefer most of them nonshiny too :P Good job though Omicron.

So jealous of all those Dittos Mia >.<

And for what I've been RNGing recently... finally decided to give 4th Gen another go for ID abuse. Took awhile but I managed to RNG HeartGold to get the ID/SID combo I wanted for shiny HP Grass Timid/Modest for the 3 legendary birds \o/
Yay! 4th gen RNG!

@Omi
How can you not like green Espeon?!!!!! *feelings are hurt*

My attempt to get all HP dittos has been delayed. Can't find any good seeds. :/
They must be shiny. *ching ching sparkle sparkle*

Years
Ugh, so I'm having some serious troubles breeding guys, please help :3.

Okay so what I want is a non-shiny, male, Timid/Modest Riolu with Inner Focus, HP Ice 70 and max special sweeper IVs. Corresponding with HP Ice 70 that would be 31/30/30/31/31/31 I have worked out (Manually because PPRNG crashes when I try searching for HP).

What I am working with is a male Lucario 29/22/8/13/28/31 and a shiny ditto 31/31/31/30/31/31. And no Everstone.

This is the seed I'm going for:
Spoiler:

Now, when I'm hatching an egg to check for my shifted frame I get the highlighted offspring as a result no problem:
Spoiler:

But when I'm using my Chatot's to shift the frame over 31 times I hatch an egg that isn't even on the list of nearby frames.
Suggestions please I've been doing this for days!

Unrelated:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
Just passing the time waiting for a shiny flawless seed and was wondering if anyone knew of a good bw entralink rng guide and a 4rth gen cute charm method rng guide.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Ugh, so I'm having some serious troubles breeding guys, please help :3.

Okay so what I want is a non-shiny, male, Timid/Modest Riolu with Inner Focus, HP Ice 70 and max special sweeper IVs. Corresponding with HP Ice 70 that would be 31/30/30/31/31/31 I have worked out (Manually because PPRNG crashes when I try searching for HP).

What I am working with is a male Lucario 29/22/8/13/28/31 and a shiny ditto 31/31/31/30/31/31. And no Everstone.

This is the seed I'm going for:
Spoiler:

Now, when I'm hatching an egg to check for my shifted frame I get the highlighted offspring as a result no problem:
Spoiler:

But when I'm using my Chatot's to shift the frame over 31 times I hatch an egg that isn't even on the list of nearby frames.
Suggestions please I've been doing this for days!

Unrelated:
Spoiler:
All I can think of is that when you try again you're being timer0 trolled. Are you absolutely sure you're hitting the right seed every time? Here's a way to check if you hit your seed when RNG breeding:
(Copied from TwilightBlade's RNG Guide located here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7464113#7464113)
step 11: optional shortcut
— Let's say that you have a really troublesome Pokémon to hatch, like Dratini or Larvesta. Upon completing your Chatter advancements, immediately collect the egg. Fly to the Pokémon League. Go to Victory Road and immediately enter a wild Pokémon battle (either by using Sweet Scent or turning your character in place). Catch it and find its approximate IVs.
— Go back to RNG Reporter's Main Menu. From the dropdown menu, change Method to Gen 5 IVs (Standard Seed). Change Starting Frame to 1. Click Generate.
— Look at Frames 14-20. If the caught Pokémon has roughly matching IVs on the table, you have successfully hit your seed. If there is no match, your egg will not be shiny flawless, but this saves you from hatching the wrong one.

This has helped me to know whether I was being timer0 trolled or if it was something else that wasn't working. It's also saved me time form hatching the wrong egg when I didn't hit my timer0. Hope this helps. ^^
Just passing the time waiting for a shiny flawless seed and was wondering if anyone knew of a good bw entralink rng guide and a 4rth gen cute charm method rng guide.
I found an Entralink RNG Guide, but since Smogon is down, so is the guide. D: Here's the link though so when Smogon is back up you'll be able to view it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=8893

I haven't found any guides for 4th gen Cute Charm though, and since I haven't done much 4th Gen abuse I can't help you there. >.<

Years
All I can think of is that when you try again you're being timer0 trolled. Are you absolutely sure you're hitting the right seed every time? Here's a way to check if you hit your seed when RNG breeding:

This has helped me to know whether I was being timer0 trolled or if it was something else that wasn't working. It's also saved me time form hatching the wrong egg when I didn't hit my timer0. Hope this helps. ^^

I'm positive I'm hitting the right seed, what can I do if I am being timer0 tolled? And I didn't think that was something that is an issue.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Sometimes it's an issue and sometimes it isn't. You can try hitting the second at different times. If you're pressing A late in the second, you can try pressing A sooner for the same second. I've been doing that and usually I hit my seed no problem when I'm having trouble hitting my timer0. I'm not sure if I explained that right though. >.<

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
Sometimes it's an issue and sometimes it isn't. You can try hitting the second at different times. If you're pressing A late in the second, you can try pressing A sooner for the same second. I've been doing that and usually I hit my seed no problem when I'm having trouble hitting my timer0. I'm not sure if I explained that right though. >.<

I agree with Iloveeevee. Something similar just happened to me recently while rng'ing a marill. If I pressed A immediately I would get a completely different result then if I hit A later.

Years
Tried hitting the seed at different times, turns out if I hit it exactly as it turned over I hit the seed. Thanks a lot for that guys.

You will be happy to know that I am now a proud owner of Aurum the Lucario.
Ev trained: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe.
Haven't had a chance to properly use him yet but when I get around to hatching a Scyther and Ev training him as well I might take on the battle thing.

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I think everyone has that timing issue every now and then (or all the time like me). xD

First breed on my Korean Black. <3
133.png
notshiny.png
이브이
004.png

OT:
8.png
♥토끼 ♀ | ID: 0
Timid - Run Away - 31 | 3 | 31 | 30 | 30 | 31 - HP Ground 70
Tail Whip, Tackle, Helping Hand, Sand-Attack​

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I wanted to go back to working on my collection of Dream World Pokemon in DreamBalls.... but it's been a few months since I was RNGing them. Does anyone know where there is a guide I can reference to get a refresher? I remember B/W is a lot like Gen IV hitting a delay, and that B2/W2 was "easier" although my Timer0 kept trolling me....

But with Smogon still down, and as near as anyone can tell it's going to be a while... I can't seem to find any other guides on Entralink RNGing. Does anyone have a guide somewhere they can share?

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I wanted to go back to working on my collection of Dream World Pokemon in DreamBalls.... but it's been a few months since I was RNGing them. Does anyone know where there is a guide I can reference to get a refresher? I remember B/W is a lot like Gen IV hitting a delay, and that B2/W2 was "easier" although my Timer0 kept trolling me....

But with Smogon still down, and as near as anyone can tell it's going to be a while... I can't seem to find any other guides on Entralink RNGing. Does anyone have a guide somewhere they can share?
I tried to find a guide, but I couldn't.
Here's the archive link that smogon posted.

link

I don't know how much help that is going to be though. :/

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I don't know how much help that is going to be though. :/

Oh, MY are you the little life saver Mia!!!

I waded my way through the various menu's on the archive of Smogon and FOUND IT! It's onder "In-Game" / "Guides" then "Dream World".... at the bottom of that page is a link to it. Strangely the link is to a thread on the forum, and I would think that would not be on the wayback machine... but apparently it is, maybe closed threads are? I don't know.... regardless, I got what I needed now!

THANK YOU!!!

Here is the direct link to the page that had what I was looking for in case anyone else is likewise in need of it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20121003...com/forums/showpost.php?p=3159941&postcount=2

Cheers!

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Oh, MY are you the little life saver Mia!!!

I waded my way through the various menu's on the archive of Smogon and FOUND IT! It's onder "In-Game" / "Guides" then "Dream World".... at the bottom of that page is a link to it. Strangely the link is to a thread on the forum, and I would think that would not be on the wayback machine... but apparently it is, maybe closed threads are? I don't know.... regardless, I got what I needed now!

THANK YOU!!!

Here is the direct link to the page that had what I was looking for in case anyone else is likewise in need of it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20121003...com/forums/showpost.php?p=3159941&postcount=2

Cheers!
Wow. :O
I totally didn't see that Dreamworld link. xD
I'm glad you found it! ^ ^

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Morning All:

I had a recent experience I wanted to share, the following Pokemon are not available for trade, due mostly to the fact that they should be considered hacked. I asked Mac if it was ok before posting about this, due to the nature of using a cheat.

I really wanted to have a shiny Mew, which as we all know is impossible (not impossible, but the only legitimate shiny Mew would be one captured on Faraway Island in Emerald, which required the Old Sea Map, and that was only released as an event in Japan).

On my North American Emerald I started by using a gameshark to unlock the Old Sea Map. I had actually done this a long time ago, and captured a Mew. So, now not only did I need the Old Sea Map, but I needed a "Re-Battle Legendary" code. Please keep in mind that the rest of my tale involves that I used those codes.

Mew, like all legendaries in Emerald is generated via Method-1. If you do not know, Method-1 is not effected by Synchronize. So, you have to hit your seed exact.

To make matters worse, each legendary is going to offer you a slightly different shifted frame. If you are going on a quest to get all your Emeral legendaries as shiny, you need to re-calibrate for each one. I stood on Faraway Island, and entered Battle with Mew over a dozen times, just trying to calibrate for which frame I was hitting. I threw my master ball each time, as all I was attempting to do was calibrate. I actually found one during my calibration attempt that had two perfect IV's, which I ended up deciding to keep.

151.png
notshiny.png
#151 Mew ♁ (level 30)
001.png

OT:
2.png
RINGO ♂ (Emerald, 49191/51162)
Brave - Synchronize - 10/31/31/11/23/11 - Untrained
Pound - Transform - Mega Punch - Metronome

My shiny frame I was attempting was only about 20 seconds in for me (Lucky me). Which meant that once I was done calibrating I was able to go right to work attempting the actual capture.

The fun began:
I tried for two hours. Resetting. Watching the timer. When I didn't face a shiny I reset again. About every tenth attempt I would capture again to verify that I was close to my seed. Each time I was within 10 frames of my desired frame. Close enough to not mess with the settings in Eon Timer.

I take a break for the night. Next day, an hour into trying, and checking what frame I hit I get my shiny frame. I wanted my Mew to be in a Premier ball, my favorite, and also for the challenge. I knock Mew down to 1hp with my false swiper, and start trying to capture. Eventually, Mew knocks itself out with struggle. *cry*.

Two more tries later, I hit the frame again. I false swiper to 1, I keep trying to put mew to sleep, but it won't stay asleep. I keep throwing premier balls. Finally, on my last premier ball I capture it. *whew*

151.png
shiny.png
#151 PANTHRO (Mew) ♁ (level 30)
012.png

OT:
2.png
RINGO ♂ (Emerald, 49191/51162)
Brave - Synchronize - 29/25/0/17/27/24 - Untrained
Pound - Transform - Mega Punch - Metronome

Now, here is where I have found what I believe to be an oddity. My first Mew above passed legality analysis:
https://www.pokecheck.org/?screenshot=5023696&la

However, the Shiny Mew, it DOES flag as a hack on the legality analysis. Reason stated as English Mew can not be shiny:
https://www.pokecheck.org/?screenshot=5023707&la

I am curious if anyone knows why this situation exists? Is it because the location met is flagged in Gen IV as "Pal Park" instead of "Faraway Island"? I would assume ANY Gen III Mew caught on Faraway Island should flag as hacked on an English Emerald... but if the location met is no longer Faraway Island, is Pokecheck now assuming that my Mew was an event Mew from that Generation?

Method-1 was VERY tedious. I would say more tedious than Gen IV delays. It WAS however well worth it, as the personal satisfaction of now owning a Pokemon I really wanted, and REALLY had to work for all the same is now in my pocession. (Not Only that, I cloned it on Emerald before sending to PalPark... I have every intention of getting as many Gen III ribbons on it as I can... This is going to be one special Mew when I am done.) I DO have every intention of completing more Gen III Legendaries now that I have done this once. I think Deoxys may be my next capture project. But I wonder what Shiny spread available to me I should aim for... There is a Calm Shiny spread about 45 minutes in for me, which has all states accept Speed above 20 (the speed is at only 4). As I don't competitively battle I don't typically aim for super perfect spreads, so maybe this is where I should aim on this one?

Would love to hear some feedback on my Mew experience... and if anyone wants to help me pick which shiny spread on my Emerald to aim for on my Deoxys, I would appreciate any suggestions.(ID: 49191 / SID: 51162). I have no intention of restarting my Emerald to be able to RNG my ID/SID for a specific spread. I have over 250 hours on that save file (and all my Pokeboxes are close to full)... I used to chain breed for super strong Pokemon before I knew how to RNG, and I can't justify killing that progress or going and buying another Emerald either. All my future Legendary RNG projects in Gen III will have to be on that save file. (For that matter, I have yet to capture the trio of Reggi's on Emerald, and should RNG those if I have the patience, so anyone who feels like helping me with suggestions on spreads to aim for that would be super appreciated as well).

Thanks for letting me share this experience with you all. I hope my experience can help you decide if Method-1 Gen III is for you or not. That resetting can be a major pain, but I think it was well worth it for the trophy. It may not be worth if for everyone though. Also, as Gen III is becoming such a source of fun for me, I would be happy to advise anyone looking to do Gen III captures (I am not yet good at RNGing eggs in Gen III, captures only).

Cheers,
Ringo

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
One thing before I explain the Mew thing with Pokecheck, we can't see the legality analyses for those two. Now the thing with Mew, is that the recognize English Faraway Island Mews as legit because of an oversight on their part. Quite a simple explanation if you think about it, though I'm too lazy to ask them about, plus they're mean ;.;

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I think it must be more than an oversight. There must be a reason. I think it probably can not tell the difference between a Faraway Island Mew, and an event Mew from Gen III. Only the Faraway Island can be shiny. But I am too afraid to ask them, as like you say "they are mean." I assume part of their answer is going to involve that I know the Mew is hacked. I didn't do this capture to try to trade and pass off as legit, so I don't need anyone there jumping down my throat.

I wonder why you can't see the legality analysis. Did I need to do something other than copy the link?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for sharing, Ringo. That's definitely an oversight on their part and would need to be taken up with them, but good luck. I think they have a thread on project pokemon if you want to post your experience there and the results from Pokecheck. Nice trophies, though. I have a HoO Arceus myself so I understand wanting to have an unobtainable trophy. :-)

Back