• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

cold on the cob

Years
Is there a name you have for things that you realised is a mannerism of just you or your family?

To start the thread off on a high note when I was very little my parents called my privates "zizi" (i.e. "stop touching your zizi"). No idea why, lol.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
"Cold on the cob" is apparently a meme in regards to what British people call ice pops/popsicles/ice lollies.

When I was younger, my family used to call cauliflower "brains." It wasn't until one of the times I was re-re-rewatching Full House that I realized where that particular quirk came from.

Spiff

love child
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 30, 2023
there's some random room next to the kitchen at my parents house and growing up we had no idea what the hell that room was for so it was literally called the room next to the kitchen

and whenever someone says "soda pop" I feel like I'm being offered drugs

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Whenever referring to the pasta and sauce, my family calls it "Spag-itty with me-at sauce."

(Tangentially related)Also, when I was in high school, I sold cans of pop in the cafeteria. However, I wanted absolutely no ambiguity with what I was selling(if the Powers That Be in high school mistook me for dealing marijuana in the cafeteria, I'm sure the punishment would've been steeper than if they thought I was selling soda), so I always referred to it as soda in public, and that just kinda stuck with me.

Sirfetch’d

I came to this thread just to learn what cold on the cob is. Must not be a southern thing lol.

I can't really think of anything though that is relevant tbh. My family is boring and just calls things what they are I guess haha

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
You should blame Ben, it was a heated discussion that brought this up.

There is no such thing as cold on the cob.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Similar to Icey Spheal boo boo cheeks, all I can think of is a nickname for privates, lol. Vagina is apparently a "tutu" when you're little which I reeeeeally didn't like. I wanted to dance when I was a kid and obviously there are such things as tutus in dancing. So!! When I wanted to talk about how I wanted a leotard and tutu, I was too afraid to say tutu. :( Cause that's a vagina apparently.

Only my mom did this, though. I once asked my dad what the private parts were called and he told me what it was and I was just like, "oh okay cool thanks." lol Stupid tutu.

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
It's not so much a saying, as a gesture, but whenever my parents wanted to let us know it was time to go, they did the same motion that crewman do to let the pilot know it's okay to take off on an aircraft carrier, or something. I'm not entirely sure on that part, but it's used for takeoff nonetheless.

I tried to do the same motion to my friends, since I was the one driving, and they just looked at me really weird. That's when I learned that not everyone used it!

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
my mom and family friends always referred to a vagina as "cookie" and a penis as "peepee" throughout my childhood.

imagine the face my 4 year old self made when my babysitter asked if i "wanted a cookie" without showing me the pastry first.

she laughed for what felt like ages afterward.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
Years
Well on the penis front my mother insisted on the word tinkle.

Though putting my mother near anything small and/or cute tends to result in her spouting gibberish like that. I can barely understand what she says to the cats any more.

"Closing the door too" was a term we used in my house for closing the door but leaving it ever so slightly open but most people don't seem to use that expression.

Years
Cold on the cob omg, we call them popsickles haha

My mother says "Always something to keep a rabbit's tail short" in regards to anything stressful.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
i used to call privates "pee pee"

also cold on a cob sounds like something made from corn

Back