• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Maps] Curt's Region Starter Kit

Should I release the "Region Starter Kit" ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Curt200718

Intermediate Game Developer
Years
Hello Everyone, Well I remember a while back (Last year I think) someone thought about making a "Regional Starter Kit". Well I have one nearly complete(after many,many hours of mapping)..I just wanted to ask all you guys if you think I should release it. It will include : Kanto Region, Sevii Islands, Johto Region, and Hoenn Region. Also should I release all the Inners aswell or just the Outside and Cave Maps? I not sure if someone else has released one or not...

I would also like to include the Sinnoh Region, but resources are scarce..
Also opinions are more than welcome......

I am about a week or so away from completing everything..I will include a poll to recieve votes about this...

EDITED*

CURRENT ACCURATE PROGRESS :

Kanto Region : 100% Done
Sevii Islands : 100% Done
Johto Region : 80% Done
Hoenn Region :50% Done

EDIT

DOWNLOAD LINKS:
Link 1: http://rapidshare.com/files/282724805/Curts_Region_Starter_Kit.zip
Link 2: http://d01.megashares.com/dl/eb11461/Curts_Region_Starter_Kit.zip
Link 3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4QGMRHCK
Link 4: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tzjwi2qzzgu/Curts Region Starter Kit.zip

not 100% complete but more than enough to get you started. ENJOY.

another EDIT*

I added the doors i forgot as an attachment....

Last edited:

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2016
Sure. I support the idea since I need those region too.

partyghoul2000

Intermediate Game Designer
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
me personally, am against this. think about it...all ppl would have to do would download poccil's SDK and this region SDK and all the person would have to do would throw down some npcs and a storyline. it takes out all the fun of mapping and game development in general. they're be so many games in the games showcase with the same maps and no originality. :(

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
me personally, am against this. think about it...all ppl would have to do would download poccil's SDK and this region SDK and all the person would have to do would throw down some npcs and a storyline. it takes out all the fun of mapping and game development in general. they're be so many games in the games showcase with the same maps and no originality. :(

You do hold a point, but all the people in the GD Section make their own regions. This, I guess, would just promote having an extra region to venture to.

It's a good idea... but I have a question. Are the maps all being made with the same tileset or is it based off of the tileset that game had? Like Hoenn = R/S/E Graphics?

Curt200718

Years
Well Im using a few Tilesets,(which I will include), each region will have its own graphics matching that of the GBA games except for Johto which I had to empravise....I have been ripping graphics so they match...hope that answers your question

ForeverRed

teeheeee
Years
well there are really two sides too this argument about discussing whether or not curt should release the kit. this will be really useful for those doing lots of regions and also fake regions. also it wont display the fun of mapping
so there are many reasons why and why not we curt should release the kit but it all depends on what your doing.

Was gonna write a discussion but not bothered but still i would like to see what is install for us ;)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Well, I don't see why he shouldn't release it. If people do end up using it, they'll probably be deemed as lazy by everyone else, so it's not as if everyone with an official region is going to use it.

Personally, I'm not going to use it anyway, even if I do make a game set in an official region.

Mitchman

Banned
Years
You guys are forgetting this. If you want you add your own tileset to make it unique. You could mix around the map so it could be a bit different. And lets not forget he is only dong exterior not interior so i say do it!

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Personally, I disagree with this(for the reason's kinda already stated above), but I think it might be good for newer members of the community. So, I guess....
Go for it.

Curt200718

Years
Sounds good, Curt! :D

So, are you going to include say all the interior maps for 1 town in 1 map? (E.g. all the

indoor maps of Pallet Town in one map, excluding Oak's Lab, because of different BGM)

Well, tbh i didn't event think to do that..I have made a different map for each interior..

Well, I don't see why he shouldn't release it. If people do end up using it, they'll probably be deemed as lazy by everyone else, so it's not as if everyone with an official region is going to use it.

Personally, I'm not going to use it anyway, even if I do make a game set in an official region.

Well I see where your coming from, as mapping is one of the main aspects of a game but I don't understand why if you would want to use a Official Region you would map it all your self when the exact same thing is available to you.

You guys are forgetting this. If you want you add your own tileset to make it unique. You could mix around the map so it could be a bit different. And lets not forget he is only dong exterior not interior so i say do it!

Yes you could custamize the maps how ever you like, also I have done a lot of inners but I guess I will exclude them from the kit.....unless you guys want em :)

Thanks for all your opinions and critism :)

shinylugia249

I'm back
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2016
Interesting idea but it would take away the fun of mapping. This woul prove useful to several memebers but would also (like stated before) bring up many gaes with no custom ideas maps, or tiles. I personally would not need this because i'm almost finished mapping hoen and kanto and bacause i'm usin the g/s/c kanto maps and custom hoenn maps. Well it looks like you've been working really hard on this so release it, It'll be great to see all the regions put into one kit!

Curt200718

Years
UPDATE : Just wanted to let you all know I finished up Sevii Islands....Im gonna work on finishing the Hoenn Region next...then johto last.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
RELEASE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally like the idea. I am making my own region but, would like to put the other regions in my game as well.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
Hello Everyone, Well I remember a while back (Last year I think) someone thought about making a "Regional Starter Kit". Well I have one nearly complete(after many,many hours of mapping)..I just wanted to ask all you guys if you think I should release it. It will include : Kanto Region, Sevii Islands, Johto Region, and Hoenn Region. Also should I release all the Inners aswell or just the Outside and Cave Maps? I not sure if someone else has released one or not...

I would also like to include the Sinnoh Region, but resources are scarce..
Also opinions are more than welcome......

I am about a week or so away from completing everything..I will include a poll to recieve votes about this...

CURRENT PROGRESS :

Kanto Region : 100% Done
Sevii Islands : 100% Done
Johto Region : 80% Done
Hoenn Region :75% Done
If this is RMXP, I have lost interest.

MykehDoom

Team Magma's Entei
Years
  • Age 35
  • GA
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
Why does that make you lose interest? I'd actually LOVE to have the regions. They'd help progress of my game jump from 10% to 60%.

Back