• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Make this bar a multiversal bar, where characters from other RPs can come in freely without feeling awkward. :P It provides more experienced RPers an excuse to hop in with any character they want and start doing whatever, instead of there being a stigma against bring in pre-existing stuff.

One issue I see with this bar is that it breaks one of the rules of the Roleplay Corner all RPs are supposed to obey. All RPs must have a plot. Regardless--There also needs to be competent GM(s) to handle the issues that inevitably arise from an RP of that nature. Namely, there needs to be a ground rule against being a /jerk/ and the GM in question needs to be able to actively work to prevent such things from becoming a problem.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Yellow... you're looking at this the wrong way. It isn't necessarily a rp. It's not a place that NEEDS a plot. It's just a stickied thread where people can interact in character and be able to see how comfortable they would be rping. It would be a place where new people cold dive in and test the waters and a place where others could greet them. I know in my other forums the place that is set up is known as the drunken cookie, a bar where people new to rping come to chat with the barkeep, aka the guy who moderates the thread, and there are plenty of comings and goings of various individuals who are interested in rping and want a hand at trying to rp a guy heading to a bar. *Shrugs* Really simple when you think about it.

Reactions: SV

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
I feel that such a thread does not require a plot per say. It could just be a place to experiment with a character or a new form of writing style.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Being a jerk in that thread would be like being a jerk in any OOC thread, I think. Thus: Maddy's area of moderation. In case she's willing, of course.

Also, since it won't really be a RP in the same sense as the other RPs here, no plot will probably be needed. Just a setting. /echoing everyone else hmm

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
The way I'm reading it, it's kind of like "here is a setting aaaannnndddd... GO."

If everyone else is in agreeance for it, I'm all go for a plotless RP. The main reason that I don't like allowing plotless RPs is because most of the time, they are directionless and die very quickly or encourage short posts because people are often confused and don't know what to post about.

And that's my only concern. As long as people post with 100 or more words for each post like the rules say, I'm okay for it. ;D

And just for a conclusion; I'm happy to make exceptions to the rules or whatever for particular RPs (except for some like the rating rules) if there is a large amount of support for it. If you have ideas guys for anything, please share.

PS im not back from america yet. vegas, baby.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Well, I can help with it. I have some experience with such threads and have helped with the drunken cookie before, so I could get a setting going, like a hotel that is all fancy like, or perhaps a small time bar or such. *Shrugs*

Well... if you need any particular examples as to how a thread would be introduced or such, this is the description that I got from other site. It's on the first page so I'll post it here.
Spoiler:

It's just a place that is outside of any canon things you have going on, so characters from your rp can come and sit down, sci-fi characters are welcome, pokemon, trainers, perhaps characters from other universes. It's just a place to make mistakes and learn from them and also learn what is acceptable in the rping section.

Last edited:
Years
If it were to be done in that manner I think you'd need to have a clause especially dictating the maximum time you could have been apart of the RP corner and join in on the thread. But then again, older members of the thread will likely end up with established positions in the thread and so it would leave random holes if they just suddenly vanished.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
No it wouldn't. It would make sense via the thread if it is said that they quit their job or haven't been to work for some time and someone else would be allowed to take the job they left vacant. Pretty much established rpers would 'mod' the thread by being in a job such as a waiter or a cook or such. Just proving more material to make posts.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Or we'd just go loco and let anybody play waiter or dumbwaiter or whatever their imagination can come up with. That was the original idea and plan for the thread, wasn't it? And if it doesn't work (but we're fairly well behaved in this forum, in comparison to sections with less RP-used members perhaps), THEN we could implement some less light moderation.

I bet there has been some kind of thread like this in OT before, it sounds so familiar... I mean FG, Forum Games, as that forum is called nowadays ._. (RIP other trivia)

But I might be a bit too positive here. Some kind of established roles might be in order if you others think so, I dunno :>

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
It depends. We won't have all the members posting continuously, but it'll be more along a few who are designated as 'staff' for that forum. Just to keep control of stuff.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
Make this bar a multiversal bar, where characters from other RPs can come in freely without feeling awkward. :P It provides more experienced RPers an excuse to hop in with any character they want and start doing whatever, instead of there being a stigma against bring in pre-existing stuff.

That is the general idea of the bar, but it's not restricted to pre-existing characters, as I said; people could chose to come as their forum persona, or themselves as well. Could also stand as a place where people could try out potentially new characters they have for an RP, having them move and groove prior to the RP so they can get a feel for that character.

One issue I see with this bar is that it breaks one of the rules of the Roleplay Corner all RPs are supposed to obey. All RPs must have a plot. Regardless--There also needs to be competent GM(s) to handle the issues that inevitably arise from an RP of that nature. Namely, there needs to be a ground rule against being a /jerk/ and the GM in question needs to be able to actively work to prevent such things from becoming a problem.

Yellow... you're looking at this the wrong way. It isn't necessarily a rp. It's not a place that NEEDS a plot. It's just a stickied thread where people can interact in character and be able to see how comfortable they would be rping. It would be a place where new people cold dive in and test the waters and a place where others could greet them. I know in my other forums the place that is set up is known as the drunken cookie, a bar where people new to rping come to chat with the barkeep, aka the guy who moderates the thread, and there are plenty of comings and goings of various individuals who are interested in rping and want a hand at trying to rp a guy heading to a bar. *Shrugs* Really simple when you think about it.

Being a jerk in that thread would be like being a jerk in any OOC thread, I think. Thus: Maddy's area of moderation. In case she's willing, of course.

Also, since it won't really be a RP in the same sense as the other RPs here, no plot will probably be needed. Just a setting. /echoing everyone else hmm

It's not an RP per se, hence it kinda adheres to some rules of the RP Corner. Like Red states, being a jerk in the thread is like being a jerk in the OOC; if you become too annoying, the GMs simply report them to the Mod.

Competency of the GMs isn't so much a real issue. Like Grieger stated, the GMs could come and go easily as workers at the Bar, allowing for some of our newer members to have a grasp at being a GM while having more experienced GMs aid them. Win-win situation.

The way I'm reading it, it's kind of like "here is a setting aaaannnndddd... GO."

If everyone else is in agreeance for it, I'm all go for a plotless RP. The main reason that I don't like allowing plotless RPs is because most of the time, they are directionless and die very quickly or encourage short posts because people are often confused and don't know what to post about.

And that's my only concern. As long as people post with 100 or more words for each post like the rules say, I'm okay for it. ;D

And just for a conclusion; I'm happy to make exceptions to the rules or whatever for particular RPs (except for some like the rating rules) if there is a large amount of support for it. If you have ideas guys for anything, please share.

PS im not back from america yet. vegas, baby.

100 words seems fair enough. Even for newer members, it would help with a transition in to larger scaled writing that some on this forum end up doing.

Yeah! Only: RPing on mspa doesn't quite care as much about detail, description and length as we do here, so to whoever checks out this link, don't mind the actual RPing and focus on what they do in the opening post and how they are making the thread work overall :3

Well, I can help with it. I have some experience with such threads and have helped with the drunken cookie before, so I could get a setting going, like a hotel that is all fancy like, or perhaps a small time bar or such. *Shrugs*

Well... if you need any particular examples as to how a thread would be introduced or such, this is the description that I got from other site. It's on the first page so I'll post it here.
Spoiler:

It's just a place that is outside of any canon things you have going on, so characters from your rp can come and sit down, sci-fi characters are welcome, pokemon, trainers, perhaps characters from other universes. It's just a place to make mistakes and learn from them and also learn what is acceptable in the rping section.

That's sort of what I was going for, except it's not solely for the purpose of new RPers, but really for anyone to have a casual RP experience. But otherwise a decent summary. Probably include something to make it seem more 'PC' ish.

If it were to be done in that manner I think you'd need to have a clause especially dictating the maximum time you could have been apart of the RP corner and join in on the thread. But then again, older members of the thread will likely end up with established positions in the thread and so it would leave random holes if they just suddenly vanished.

Time wouldn't really be an issue, it's up to RPers to participate. Also could stand for a good place to advertise without shameless plugging in the RPD.

No it wouldn't. It would make sense via the thread if it is said that they quit their job or haven't been to work for some time and someone else would be allowed to take the job they left vacant. Pretty much established rpers would 'mod' the thread by being in a job such as a waiter or a cook or such. Just proving more material to make posts.

Or we'd just go loco and let anybody play waiter or dumbwaiter or whatever their imagination can come up with. That was the original idea and plan for the thread, wasn't it? And if it doesn't work (but we're fairly well behaved in this forum, in comparison to sections with less RP-used members perhaps), THEN we could implement some less light moderation.

I bet there has been some kind of thread like this in OT before, it sounds so familiar... I mean FG, Forum Games, as that forum is called nowadays ._. (RIP other trivia)

But I might be a bit too positive here. Some kind of established roles might be in order if you others think so, I dunno :>

It depends. We won't have all the members posting continuously, but it'll be more along a few who are designated as 'staff' for that forum. Just to keep control of stuff.

Again, the idea is to essentially have staff that work in the bar that can serve people, but aren't restricted to their forum counterparts. People could bunny said staff to pour them a glass of lemonade. However there would be the GMs who moderate behind the scenes, ultimately bunnying working staff to deliver the verdict, or act as management. Otherwise things could get messy if the bar is open and nobody is there to serve!

And we could either trouble our dear Mod to select the GMing staff, or people would apply in a similar SU/CV fashion as if it were a job.

Bleacher

Chaos Worshipper
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2013
Are image resize bbcode accepted by PC? I tried every single one but none of them worked.:disappoin

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@雷影 イチロ: An RP with the flavor text 'Do whatever you want' is probably the ripest ground for issues between RPers to arise short of competitive RPing. If there is no active person available to handle said issues as they come up, select users might abuse this fact to enforce their will over others, likely making the RP a rather hostile place to be--which kind of undermines the purpose.

If Skymin (Or some other staffer) is going to be the one in charge of that, I feel like that's extra work on their part and that we should probably ask them if they're up for something like that before considering it.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Yellow, I would be more than happy to be the 'GM' of that thread then. I'm up for it and I would be around to greet new rpers and such. Before you judge the idea as a lost cause I saw we go for it and try it out. Yes, must because it works well on another website doesn't mean it would work well here, I understand that, but I would like to try it out first before we abandon the idea.

Anyways, I do have some ideas for how it can be set up and from there it would be greeting new rpers and correcting mistakes and such.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
@雷影 イチロ: An RP with the flavor text 'Do whatever you want' is probably the ripest ground for issues between RPers to arise short of competitive RPing. If there is no active person available to handle said issues as they come up, select users might abuse this fact to enforce their will over others, likely making the RP a rather hostile place to be--which kind of undermines the purpose.

If Skymin (Or some other staffer) is going to be the one in charge of that, I feel like that's extra work on their part and that we should probably ask them if they're up for something like that before considering it.

Obviously you aren't understanding the concept very well, so I will explain again and more simpler. THERE WILL BE STAFF - A selection of staff, mostly veteran, but perhaps some less so to manage the thread spread across differing time zones so there is not 5 staff on at one time, then none at the other. Just like GMs of an RP. Simple enough?

Skymin can step in whenever she sees fit as she is the MODERATOR of the section. She plays as active part in the thread as she wants, but can ultimately shut it down if things get out of hand and the GMs can't handle it.

From some ground rules set: 8) All Game Masters must be and act fair to all Roleplayers; despite previous grievances. In return, Roleplayers must abide by any warnings or rules they choose to enforce. If you think this is unfair, take it up with either the Management.

The staff essentially moderate themselves with an impartial "Head' GM, and above them, Skymin as mod. Not everyone is as hopeless as your cynical view of the world portrays. Ultimately whoever runs the thread will be chosen by Skymin as she is the mod.

And again, you're talking in if's, but's and when's. Which it's great to have a devils advocate to iron out the worst parts, however it makes it hard ifmn you choose not to understand and continue to be cynical. WHAT IF everyone was responsible? Then we could have a good time. WHAT IF people decided to not disobey the rules and run rampant? Again, we would have a good time.

PS, whatever beef you have with me is your own and doesn't belong on the forum. Doesn't make you a very competent GM....

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Arguments aside, if everyone is a-ok with this, I'm A-OK to iron out some creases and create a first post and sticky it up when anyone is ready.

I know it may seem a bit wishy-washy and a little hard to grasp but as soon as we get it started, set some ground rules and give it a go, we'll be fine. If the thread doesn't work, it gets deleted. No harm done. We can't knock it 'till we try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back