• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most Disappointing Pokémon You Have Used From The Fifth Generation

Years
The Zebra pokemon, I didn't even bothered to learn its name when I found out it wasn't as good as I thought it would have been.

I think you mean Zebstrika. It wasn't too bad eventually, mine managed to sweep Elesa's team using a Shock Wave + Attract + Flame Charge combo (mine was female).

SoratheEliteOne

Overlord of Blowing S*** Up
Years
For me, it had to be Hydreigon.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad Pokemon in any respect. It's just, the type combo and the height of it's evolution levels.. I expected it to be more then what it can do.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Most of them to be quite honest, there's only a few ones like Jellicent (Both genders), Excadrill and Volcanrona etc that I found to be quite creative. Pokemon like klink or whatever the cogs is called are quite disgusting. :/

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just going to remind you guys that this thread is only for disappointments, any more posts that aren't referring to disappointments I'm just going to delete. So in other words, things you thought would be awesome by their sprites but weren't by their moves/etc. If you dislike something in general, then discuss it in the favourites thread (I think I'm just going to edit that title, tbh).

As for me, nothing in particular. :x

arbok

cobra pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
agreed with Purrlion which is a shame as it looks pretty cool. Patrat/Watchog was actually better than Purrlion which I was suprised at.
Zebstriker as well. I used it on my first playthrough and it was decent but it eventually fell behind the rest of my team, by the time I reached the Elite 4 it was my last choice in a big battle.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Liepard, defiantly. I really liked it's design, as a lot of people have said. But I found it wasn't good at all and was a major let down. However, in game it did pull some wins for me when the other Pokemon in my team weren't doing much.

bewbs

~Chloe~
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Reshiram - I just couldn't get on with it. Despite it's typing it looks so much like other legendaries out there.
Liepard - I liked it's design, but I didn't like it.
The klink line - :(

TY

Liepard, i hated it when i saw it the first time, though i gave it a try and it failed hard...

Years
Blitzle was a let down, just not as strong as I thought it would be. And as much as I love the design/concept, Jellicent just wasn't as good as I expected. Really slow which just hurt it too much (at least on my team) Still love the design though :/

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
The only one I was really looking forward to using, but ended up being disappointed in, was Reuniclus. I'm trying to think why that's the case, and it may be because it's so slow. Yet I was perfectly fine with using Amoonguss, which has the same base speed stat...

Years
The only one I was really looking forward to using, but ended up being disappointed in, was Reuniclus. I'm trying to think why that's the case, and it may be because it's so slow. Yet I was perfectly fine with using Amoonguss, which has the same base speed stat...

I didn't find Reuniclus disappointing, I tried one out and it was awesome.

Amoonguss really didn't live up to my standards, it didn't suit my battling style.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
I didn't find Reuniclus disappointing, I tried one out and it was awesome.

Amoonguss really didn't live up to my standards, it didn't suit my battling style.

I think it's because I set up (relatively) high expectations for it based purely on its design when it was first revealed (which is silly, I know). Don't get me wrong; when it worked, it worked really well. But I think the frustration I got from it dying repeatedly (from being out-sped) while I was levelling it up sort of compounded until it evolved, then I just stopped using it. I'll likely give it another chance if I reset my game for another playthrough, though.

Amoonguss is definitely not my style either, since I prefer fast, 'sweeper'-type Pokemon in-game, but I was surprised with how well it did in my mono-Grass playthrough.

PokeLordAndrew

Emulation Noob
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2013
My friends and I figured out our teams based off the sprite sheet that was online before the game even came out and i'd say the most disappointing pokemon for me would be:
Reuniclus (It's stats didn't fit well for an offensive battling style later on in the game)
Zebstrika (I gave up on it, it just was not powerful enough to deal out the damage required to pokemon at higher levels)
Dieno (I was so pumped for a dragon that evolved higher than 55, but it's ability (and it's second evolutions ability) hurt it's value on my team greatly, anything that sacrifices accuracy for me is a giant no no.
Pignite (I thought maybe they would revamp the moves with the third consecutive Fire Fighting final starter evolution, but no)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
After my first playthrough, I was disappointed in my Reuniclus, but then I checked the nature: it was Adamant. After that letdown, I tried one again and was blown away by the PPPPPOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! (Sorry about that).

As for actual disappointments, Samurott was definitely one worth mentioning. It just wasn't strong enough later in-game, but then again, there weren't many Water-types in this generation. Once I beat that run-through, I decided that Samurott was definitely the worst Water starter.

Druddigon and Liepard were awfully disappointing as well, looking cool, but in actuality being quite weak.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

I was disappointed with it my first time through the game, but once I got to post game, and obtained another Solosis to train for another chance I suppose, I thought it was amazing. It's meant to be a Trick Room star, so it's not as fun to use in-game I don't think. Especially if you like speedy Pokemon, like me.

Purrloin is such a cute and classy looking Pokemon, and Liepard as well. I was really, really disappointed with it. It's a pain to train and use, but it seems like everyone else in the game has one that's awesome. Like...idk if mine sucked a lot or if NPCs just haxed me, but that ain't fair. Same goes for Zebstrika. I was happy to get a zebra Pokemon, and it just...didn't do anything for me. I can't even stand seeing it on people's teams cause I just think "...WHY. THERE ARE BETTER ELECTRIC TYPES!!" :( And, like Liepard, some NPCs have kick ass Zebstrika and I'm wondering if they cheated.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Honestly... Reshiram and Zeckrom.

As far as legendaries go, they're easily the worse, and to have two games based around them, they are very disappointing. (Based purely on design.)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Garbodor...I'm probably like the only person in the world that loves its design, but when I actually used one, I was disappoint at it's shallow movepool. Seriously, it's a physically offensive pokémon with nothing but special attacks. D:

It also looks like it should be a lot bulkier than it really is. >_>

Years
After my first playthrough, I was disappointed in my Reuniclus, but then I checked the nature: it was Adamant. After that letdown, I tried one again and was blown away by the PPPPPOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! (Sorry about that).

As for actual disappointments, Samurott was definitely one worth mentioning. It just wasn't strong enough later in-game, but then again, there weren't many Water-types in this generation. Once I beat that run-through, I decided that Samurott was definitely the worst Water starter.

Druddigon and Liepard were awfully disappointing as well, looking cool, but in actuality being quite weak.

Druddigon has good Attack and nice defenses but the Speed is a letdown.

Liepard I 100% agree on, I trained one and it was difficult.

Samurott actually did well for me, mine may have had a Serious nature but it was still good.

So sad for your Adamant Reuniclus though, my brother caught a Jolly Solosis once.

Back