• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

JadeX Hail Team

JadeX

Prince
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
Team at a glance

465.png
483.png
476.png
51.png
121.png
478.png

abomasnow.png

Abomasnow
Snow Warning
Jolly
Choice Scarf
252 SP ATK , 252 Speed , 4 HP

Grass Knot
Blizzard
Hidden Power Ground
Focus Blast

Abomasnow starts the game with hail and then spam with Blizzard most of the time .
Retreat , another free hail when it enter the stage .
Grass Knot for another STAB , Hidden Power Ground for any fire pokemon that's going to pop out , Focus Blast for steel or ice pokemon who tries to take advantage .

Froslass.png

Froslass
Snow Cloak
Timid
Bright Powder
252 SP Atk , 252 Speed , 4 HP
Confuse Ray , Thunder Wave , Destiny Bond , Blizzard

Confuse Ray and Thunder Wave . Under hail + snow cloak .
Rather annoying I think .
Blizzard for STAB . In case enemy gets through Confuse Ray + T-Wave and Snow Cloak , Destiny Bond could still bring the opponent down .

Glaceon.png

Glaceon
Snow Cloak
Modest
Choice Specs
252 SP Atk , 252 HP , 4 Speed
Blizzard , Hidden Power Fire, Hyper Beam, Shadow Ball

The most powerful Blizzard user .
With Choice Specs and Modest Nature , Glaceon is sure one pokemon to be feared . However , it's HP and speed were low .
Hyper Beam mainly for filler -.-"

Dugtrio.png

Dugtrio
Arena Trap
Jolly
Choice Band
252 Speed, 252 Atk , 4 HP

Sucker Punch , Stone Edge , Earthquake , Night Slash

Traps and kills Tyranitar and stops it messing up your hail repeatedly. Also kills Infernape, Breloom, and Heatran. Takes out grounded Poison-types who come in to absorb your Toxic Spike .

starmie.png

Starmie
Timid
Life Orb
252 SP.Atk , 252 Speed , 4 HP
Hail , Blizzard , Surf , Psychic

Using Starmie's speed to start off another hail , or just another blizzard sweep . Surf is for fire pokemon while psychic is for those fighting pokemon who wants to break my Ice team as well as for STAB .

Mamoswine.png

Mamoswine
Snow Cloak
Jollly
Life Orb
252 Atk , 252 Speed , 4 SP.Atk
Blizzard , Earthquake , Super Power, Ice Shard

The powerhouse of the team .

How was this team formed ?

The lead was chosen to be Abomasnow obviously to start a hailstorm .

Castform was initially on my mind to be put onto this team for another summon of hail , however was replaced by Starmie due to it's better speed and higher SP.Atk for a successful hail summon . (Floatzel focus more on ATK than SP.Atk therefore , not really abusing blizzard )

Mamoswine and Glaceon was the main powerhouse of the team though they were rather slow therefore the other team mates should be fast .

Frosslass was chosen due to its speed and also , Confuse Ray . That was when I thought of abusing it's snow cloak with Thunderwave and confuse ray to keep forcing switching and keep paralysing switching in pokemon ( for Glaceon to stand a better chance in moving faster )

Dugtrio was chosen to stop the annoying hippo and tyranitar , trap and hopefully finishes them off before they retreat and cause another

Though this team haven't been tested out yet , but I'm sure
Brozong , Metagross and Scizor totally rape this team

Last edited:

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
Hi there! The problem with most hail teams is that they tend to be weak to Fire-types and Fighting-types. There isn't a real variety of hail-immune Pokemon, but that doesn't mean you can't add Pokemon that don't benefit from hail.

First of all, your Starmie set needs fixing. The move Hail is bad, especially without the specific item, which has a name I can't remember, but boosts it to 8 turns. Especially if you need to switch, there go two turns of hail. I suggest you use a Rapid Spin set instead, to get rid of SR and Toxic Spikes, which spell a quick end to your team.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Hydro Pump / Surf
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Rapid Spin

Also, Mamoswine doesn't have a very powerful Blizzard, especially without much Special Attack investment. You're better off using Ice Fang or Stone Edge for coverage, hitting off its immense physical Attack. If you can, you can put the 4 SpA into HP or Def.

Your Froslass set should be changed too. Your current strategy is very annoying, but you'd be better off setting up Spikes. Hail makes for great residual damage, and with multiple layers of Spikes, you can punish every time your opponent switches to something grounded.

Froslass @ Leftovers or BrightPowder
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
~ Taunt
~ Spikes
~ Thunder Wave / Substitute
~ Destiny Bond / Blizzard / Ice Beam

TWave will help if any Heatran try to come in. Taunt lets you set up on something like Skarmory

Next, I don't think you should use Glaceon. It's too slow and not very effective in OU. Meanwhile you have trouble with Suicune, Lucario, Machamp, Forretress coming in to Spin, and Heatran. Rotom-A covers the first four; it protects your hazards that you will set up with Froslass too. Trick helps you break stall, which you struggle against, cripple the likes of Calm Mind Jirachi, and outspeed Lucario.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Timid
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Shadow Ball
~ Trick

You could also use Rotom-W and change Overheat to Hydro Pump, which covers Heatran AND Tyranitar, but it doesn't help as much against Lucario. Your choice.

Finally, I'm unsure about Dugtrio. I don't see it doing much, it only really helps you with Tar and Heatran, and there's something else that can help against that. You could use a bulky Calm Mind Roar Suicune to rack up damage with Spikes and get rid of other Calm Mind Suicune. I also suggest changing Focus Blast on Abomasnow to Leech Seed. Maybe the SubSeeder set on Smogon? idk. Good luck!

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The problem with this team is that offensive Hail teams generally aren't as good as Stall Hail teams. Hail isn't like Rain Dance or Sunny Day, both of which give the team a wide variety of boosts in both power and speed. Hail's only boost is Blizzard's accuracy. It doesn't even make it stronger. Stall is generally the way to go because Hail is permanent due to Abomasnow and also because the residual damage weakens opposing teams over time.

Here's what you should change:

ABOMASNOW

Don't lead with this. Abomasnow is a pretty bad lead and basically tells your opponent "Hi, I'm using a Hail team!"
Also, change it's set. Choice Scarf Abomasnow is not that effective. The SubSeeder is way better for Hail teams.

Abomasnow @Leftovers
Timid
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Blizzard
-Focus Punch

FROSLASS

Where's Spikes? Froslass is the only Spiker that blocks Rapid Spin, so Spikes is pretty much mandatory.

Froslass @Brightpowder
Timid
252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd

-Substitute
-Thunder Wave
-Spikes
-Blizzard

GLACEON

Glaceon is okay, but since we're making this team more defensive, Walrein would fit much better:

Walrein @Leftovers
Bold Nature
Ice Body
220 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpDef

-Substitute
-Protect
-Surf/Blizzard
-Roar/Toxic

DUGTRIO

Dugtrio can't switch in on any of the Pokemon you mentioned so the only time it can switch in is after a team member of yours dies. It's too frail for this team. Swampert is a much better Pokemon that can counter Tyranitar/Heatran. It also gives you a valuable Stealth Rocker and phazer.

Swampert @Leftovers
Impish
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Roar

Use this as your lead.

STARMIE

Using Hail when you already have Abomasnow is absolutely retarded, especially when normal Hail only lasts 5 turns. Abomasnow must be kept alive at all times. Starmie learns Rapid Spin, which must be used because Ice types are weak against Stealth Rock. Recover also must be on there because Starmie will be weakened by the Hail. Replace Life Orb with Leftovers and use the following EV spread: 136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spd

It should look like this:

Starmie @Leftovers
Timid
Natural Cure
136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spd

-Surf
-Blizzard/Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin
-Recover

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back