• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldFlareon

Biotic Flareon
Years
A TM Editor does, well, edit TMs, not add more. I dunno, but you might be able to add more by repointing the whole thing and adding onto the end like you do with moves...:\

Oh, I didn't want to add more. I just wanted to switch them around, so this one wouldn't be a TM, but this one is. You know? Ahh, don't worry. I don't think I can explain it properly. x3
Thanks for replying to my question, anyway. ^^

~Flareon.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Oh, I didn't want to add more. I just wanted to switch them around, so this one wouldn't be a TM, but this one is. You know? Ahh, don't worry. I don't think I can explain it properly. x3
Thanks for replying to my question, anyway. ^^

~Flareon.

I think I get it. You want, say, Fire Punch instead of maybe Fire Blast in the TMs, for example? Darthatron has a tool that can do that.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Question has been asked before, but I can't find it using various keywords in the search box and I'm not about to go through 321 pages manually, so:

1. Scripts are messing up. Someone had helped me with that but I've intelligently lost the entire hack yesterday so I can't offer further info, but I'll give some on this: there aren't much changes, only what things/people say. I'm using XSE, not a-text, and still the script from one thing transfers to another: part of the string from the town sign transfers to the end of '[RIVAL]'s house'. If I delete the attached string, the town sign will be blank.
Sometimes--for example, the guy in Viridian City who tells you about the kinds of caterpillar pokemon--his script messes up when I change the strings in XSE, but when I replace it back with the original and change it with a-text instead, it works fine and he doesn't say what I haven't typed. What is with this on-off screwage?

2. I've had the experience of the game crashing upon checking player stats, probably because I've inserted a new sprite a kind person told me--I can tell from the lack of similar posts about this problem that this doesn't happen normally. If it's not an inserting sprite problem, what can it be?

Thankyou~
It seems for both problems you are overwriting data without realising it. Make sure you have the "Abort if too large" option checked in UNLZ and make sure refactoring is ticked in XSE when you edit scripts.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Ok I have another question.
In advance map is there away to add more names to the map thing without replacing the ones already there?

Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2009
It seems for both problems you are overwriting data without realising it. Make sure you have the "Abort if too large" option checked in UNLZ and make sure refactoring is ticked in XSE when you edit scripts.

By 'inserting new sprite' I meant making a new player event. Sorry about the confusion! But I've used UNLZ too and made sure to do that, though this problem existed before I ever found out about that program.

I've checked refactoring now. I hope it makes a difference, thanks for your answer!

Also: Does anyone know where script 18DC9B may be? Apparently, says A-text, that's the part after Prof. Oak brings you into his lab (in fire red). The script is messed up there but I can't find any instance of it on A-map, I can only edit it on A-text but it'll start getting a string from the rival (the one before you attempt to leave pallet). This must sound confusing, but--anyone know how I can un-mess up the script, if not on a-text?

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Also: Does anyone know where script 18DC9B may be? Apparently, says A-text, that's the part after Prof. Oak brings you into his lab (in fire red). The script is messed up there but I can't find any instance of it on A-map, I can only edit it on A-text but it'll start getting a string from the rival (the one before you attempt to leave pallet). This must sound confusing, but--anyone know how I can un-mess up the script, if not on a-text?
I believe 18DC9B is a text pointer, not a script. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would probably be the source of the messed up script.

There's a level script in Oak's Lab. Go the the Map Header section in AM and the Map Script thing, click the scroller until the script 2 appears. It should be a "0x2 Validates load to..." type.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Ok I have another question.
In advance map is there away to add more names to the map thing without replacing the ones already there?
You mean add new maps? File -> Map -> New Map

By 'inserting new sprite' I meant making a new player event. Sorry about the confusion! But I've used UNLZ too and made sure to do that, though this problem existed before I ever found out about that program.

I've checked refactoring now. I hope it makes a difference, thanks for your answer!

18DC9B is a location in the ROM. Its part of the text in the starter Pokemon script. I'm not sure what it is you are asking for.

Golden Arceus

The First
Years
hey everyone
could anyone assist me with finding how to edit the menu screens in Pokemon Emerald.. Ive dug through unlz for nearly an hour and found nothing.. I just want to edit the backgrounds for the bag screen, status menus, trainer card, and storage boxes..

if anyone knows where to locate these it would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2016
Okay I'm not sure if I should ask this qeustion here XD, but, when I go to open certain tools it want's a certain component, (comdlg32.ocx) now, I know you need the VB6 Run time files, (Something like that...) but, where do I get them? Does it come with a certain programme or something? Any help would be great. XD

Last edited:

Cy-Chan

GSC Hacker
Years
Okay I'm not sure if I should ask this qeustion here XD, but, when I go to open certain tools it want's a certain component, (comdlg32.ocx) now, I know you need the VB6 Run time files, (Something like that...) but, where do I get them? Does it come with a certain programme or something? Any help would be great. XD

Search Google for "Visual Basic 6 Runtime Files". They're free and everything. Alternatively, I believe Whack-a-Hack has them for download.

A question to all of you GSC-era hackers! When HL loads (21) a 2-bit pointer, how does it calculate the bank?

Destrozone

Finally Flyin' Solo
Years
Hi, do you know how to change a pokemon's type for a game? like, as in, make a totally new type, such as light, or something like that. If you could give me help on this I would appreciate it.

Andryandrew

Italian Asm Hacker
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
Hi, do you know how to change a pokemon's type for a game? like, as in, make a totally new type, such as light, or something like that. If you could give me help on this I would appreciate it.
For the name of the type, I think you can use A.Text (I con't know if there is a way to change it with some tools). For the labels you have to use UNLZ.gba

Cy-Chan

GSC Hacker
Years

Check out the resources thread. I uploaded an ips to add Sound as a type. Compare it to a clean Fire Red rom in a hex editor, and see the differences. It's basically just repointing some stuff.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
I have a question about advance map. When you insert a a new map into a new bank youve made does the program look for free space and put it there? or does it write over other data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back