• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Water Monotype

k-van

Ruler of K-vanian Empire
Years
What does everyone think of this water monotype team for competitive battling? It seems to do alright on PO...

1. Drizzle Politoed @ choice specs
Timid
252 sp.a/252 spe/4sp.d
Focus Blast/HP Grass/Ice Beam/Scald
31/30/31/30/31/31

2. Rotom-w @ leftovers
Modest
128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Thunderbolt/Hydro Pump/HP Fire/Pain Split
Flawless

3. Swampert @ leftovers
Relaxed
240 hp/216 def/52 spe
EQ/Stealth rock/Ice punch/Scald
Flawless/Near flawless

4. Rain Dish Ludicolo @ leftovers
Bold
252 hp/216 def/40 sp.def
Sub/Scald/Leech seed/Protect
Flawless/Near flawless

5. Hydration Vaporeon @ leftovers (DW poke)
Calm
252 hp/252 sp.def/4 def
Acid Armor/Scald/Rest/Toxic
Flawless/Near flawless

6. Jellicent @ leftovers
Cursed body/Water absorb (doesn't matter which)
Bold
248 hp/216 def/44 spe
Shadow ball/Scald/Taunt/Recover
Flawless/Near flawless

NOTE: If anyone can get me any of these, I will give any 4 pokes from my thread for any 1 of these!!! And will be added to whitelist for future give-aways.

Last edited:

Conjurer

The Verdant
Years
Lol, when it comes to restricted teams such as monotype I can't come up with much. But I did end up with a suggestion. Swap out Swampert for Shell Smash Gorebyss, which is the epitome of broken. With rain's boost to its speed and Surf's base power Gorebyss hits insanely hard, and it has access to some useful coverage moves such as Ice Beam and Hidden Power.

Also, good luck with this team ;)

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
^Why Swampert? He NEEDS Swampert to set up Stealth Rock and it's immune to electric moves that this team actually hates.

I don't really see how Rotom helps this team much so you could replace it with Gorebyss instead. Also I'd change that Vappy set since Acid Armor isn't useful at all imo, so you could change it to a Wish supporter to help Gorebyss or something.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Without Swampert, you don't have a check to Thundurus, who will otherwise outspeed and maul everything with NP/Specs Thunderbolt (or Thunder if you're facing a rain team, even). Keep Swampert. I'd also like to suggest that you switch Rotom-W for a Scarf version so you can actually hit fast stuff before it smashes you. :)

edit @ spino: You do want to keep Rotom-W thanks to handy resistances, a good defensive typing, good STABs, etc. I'd rather have Shadow Ball/HP Fighting > HP Fire because of Drizzle, though. As far as Gorebyss, it's not necessary but I'd most likely put it over Ludicolo who basically just sits there and tries to get something done but doesn't do much. The set looks nice (Leech Seed + Rain Dish recovering full health subs!) but it's really just not effective and things set up on it and kill it too easily. Also, Acid Armor is useful as it gives Vaporeon pretty solid defenses and makes it easier to take hits/recover easier. It's standard on the Hydration set, anyway. :) Wish is incompatible with Hydration.

Last edited:

Conjurer

The Verdant
Years
Without Swampert, you don't have a check to Thundurus, who will otherwise outspeed and maul everything with NP/Specs Thunderbolt (or Thunder if you're facing a rain team, even). Keep Swampert. I'd also like to suggest that you switch Rotom-W for a Scarf version so you can actually hit fast stuff before it smashes you. :)

edit @ spino: You do want to keep Rotom-W thanks to handy resistances, a good defensive typing, good STABs, etc. I'd rather have Shadow Ball/HP Fighting > HP Fire because of Drizzle, though. As far as Gorebyss, it's not necessary but I'd most likely put it over Ludicolo who basically just sits there and tries to get something done but doesn't do much. The set looks nice (Leech Seed + Rain Dish recovering full health subs!) but it's really just not effective and things set up on it and kill it too easily. Also, Acid Armor is useful as it gives Vaporeon pretty solid defenses and makes it easier to take hits/recover easier. It's standard on the Hydration set, anyway. :) Wish is incompatible with Hydration.

If he does end up putting in Gorebyss, he's got his Thundurus check.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
If he does end up putting in Gorebyss, he's got his Thundurus check.

How? Gorebyss is mauled by Thunderbolt etc. :<

Remember that Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned.

Conjurer

The Verdant
Years
Oh, right >.>

In that case how bad would losing Jellicent be? It doesn't hit much bulk, and he already has Vaporeon and Swampert for taking Special/Physical hits.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Oh, right >.>

In that case how bad would losing Jellicent be? It doesn't hit much bulk, and he already has Vaporeon and Swampert for taking Special/Physical hits.

Losing Jellicent would be worse than losing the dead weight in Ludicolo. Jellicent at least breaks stall somewhat; taunting stuff like Ferrothorn before burning it and outstalling Power Whips.

...to be honest, now that I'm thinking it, your team has huge troubles with the #1 most used Pokemon, Ferrothorn... and the best checks to it are obviously not Water-type. Literally, every Water-type struggles with Ferrothorn except like idk Poliwrath. I'd suggest Toxicroak or Scizor to help that weak buuuut if you're determined to keep this a Water mono-type then there's not much you can do to beat out Ferro. :/

Conjurer

The Verdant
Years
Now that you mention it...

Rotom-W has a bit of offense against Ferrothorn stuck onto it but with the Rain in effect I doubt it 2HKOs...if it does though, it serves as a Ferrothorn check at full HP.

Also, Ludicolo's the premiere stallmon of Gen5 Rain, due to Leech Seed + Rain Dish + Leftovers = 1/4 recovery each turn. This means infinite substitute, and it can force a lot of switches and even pull off a "sweep" late game.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Now that you mention it...

Rotom-W has a bit of offense against Ferrothorn stuck onto it but with the Rain in effect I doubt it 2HKOs...if it does though, it serves as a Ferrothorn check at full HP.

Also, Ludicolo's the premiere stallmon of Gen5 Rain, due to Leech Seed + Rain Dish + Leftovers = 1/4 recovery each turn. This means infinite substitute, and it can force a lot of switches and even pull off a "sweep" late game.

I don't think there's much of a chance for it to even 3HKO in rain which is set up by Politoed soooo. :/

Thing with Ludicolo is that you're assuming it has free turns to set up Leech Seed and Sub. Its typing is too bad for it to be able to effectively set up a Sub on anything but idk CB Dugtrio locked on Sucker Punch/EQ & similarly weak stuff. And even if it does, it's too slow to be able to abuse Sub + Protect or whatever effectively. It's not very defensively proficient as far as base stats, either. The concept & theory is good, execution not so much. Plus, it's complete set-up bait for anything with Taunt or Substitute. :/

Conjurer

The Verdant
Years
I don't think there's much of a chance for it to even 3HKO in rain which is set up by Politoed soooo. :/

Thing with Ludicolo is that you're assuming it has free turns to set up Leech Seed and Sub. Its typing is too bad for it to be able to effectively set up a Sub on anything but idk CB Dugtrio locked on Sucker Punch/EQ & similarly weak stuff. And even if it does, it's too slow to be able to abuse Sub + Protect or whatever effectively. It's not very defensively proficient as far as base stats, either. The concept & theory is good, execution not so much. Plus, it's complete set-up bait for anything with Taunt or Substitute. :/

It might not promote much at first glance, but when grass-types and heavy damage dealers are all taken care of, there's nothing that can stop it. Of course, the problem is removing those threats, and in a way I agree with you.

I've finally thought of something to handle Ferrothorn lol. Standard CB Azumarill hits ridiculously hard with Waterfall in rain, and Aqua Jet is a solid priority. Superpower OHKOs 252/252 Ferrothorn, and it's one of the top counters to SS, which would provide a lot of trouble for this team.

k-van

Ruler of K-vanian Empire
Years
I use ludicolo to out-stall grass types until they switch out or I kill them with burn from scald.

And I am pretty sure HP fire does 3hko ferro. Its either 2 or 3.

And as a side note, do you guys know anyone that can get these guys for me?

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2012
I'd scarf Rotom, as someone else has said.

And I like the Vaporeon, but Wish/Protect is also another very viable option.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Ludicolo is a shaky check at best to Grass-types, especially stuff like Ferrothorn who just gets the chance to set up 3 layers of spikes on you and then switch out into a Taunter. Taunt/Substitute still shut down Ludicolo altogether and nearly every team runs one or the other on their team. I understand what you're saying but I still just don't feel like Ludicolo is effective enough at what it does. It's very situational when it's effective, at the very least.

Ehh, I'm too lazy to do those calcs. XD;

Back