• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012

Search through google "GameShark Codes" and follow the instructions there and play it...

(Your Questions is not really related to ROM HACKING though... :()
Edit: thanks for the help. I have figured out how to do the gameshark codes.

Last edited:

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
How can I index a sprite? Every time I try, it fails to work. I don't know if it has to do with Window 7's paint program or the IrfanView I'm using, but every time I paste the old sprite over the new sprite, it reverts to 24bpp

MrElephant

Pokemon Researcher
Years
What setflags are free in pokemon firered. I know that some are free in the 200s but not past 230. So what other ones are available because I dont want to break my rom.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
What setflags are free in pokemon firered. I know that some are free in the 200s but not past 230. So what other ones are available because I dont want to break my rom.
Here's a list of the ones that are already being used:
Spoiler:

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Thank you. you at least gave me a direction to start heading in and that is much apriciated, I just got visual c# 2010 express studio and was woundering if I must get visual basic as well?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I have a question regarding new voicegroups. How many instruments can I make a new voicegroup play? I read that voicegroups have 128 voices...but none of the groups in FR use that many. Instead, they range from having 1 or 2 to having 12+! Can somebody explain to me how this works?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Thank you. you at least gave me a direction to start heading in and that is much apriciated, I just got visual c# 2010 express studio and was woundering if I must get visual basic as well?

You're welcome. You don't NEED VB, per sé, it's just the most ROM hacking supported one, if that makes sense. People have created plenty of libraries for it which take care of the nasty hex editing aspects and the reverse hexing of numbers. You can do all the same with C#, you just won't have the luxury of having those libraries available.

I have a question regarding new voicegroups. How many instruments can I make a new voicegroup play? I read that voicegroups have 128 voices...but none of the groups in FR use that many. Instead, they range from having 1 or 2 to having 12+! Can somebody explain to me how this works?

A voicegroup can support 128 voices. It doesn't need to have 128 voices though, it can have as few as you like. Just ensure that any "empty" voices are filled with a square instrument. In terms of synchronous playing of music, FR supports 5 direct tracks, 3 synth tracks (squares 1 and 2 and wave) and 2 noise tracks (instruments 126 and 127 in FR VGs usually).

Any more than this and the ROM will chop off certain notes on certain tracks when playing. It is possible to extend that number of tracks to a maximum of twelve, although I don't have the information to hand.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
A voicegroup can support 128 voices. It doesn't need to have 128 voices though, it can have as few as you like. Just ensure that any "empty" voices are filled with a square instrument. In terms of synchronous playing of music, FR supports 5 direct tracks, 3 synth tracks (squares 1 and 2 and wave) and 2 noise tracks (instruments 126 and 127 in FR VGs usually).

Any more than this and the ROM will chop off certain notes on certain tracks when playing. It is possible to extend that number of tracks to a maximum of twelve, although I don't have the information to hand.

I didn't ask the original question, but I'd like to ask a follow-up question. I know pretty much nothing about music hacking, and I recently got a copy of the voicegroup with every instrument in it from the resources thread. But what confuses me is WHY Gamefreak didn't just make one voicegroup with all instruments in the first place? Additionally, with a voice group with all instruments, does that mean I could insert basically any songs in my ROM, within reason? It just seems too good to be true, and I wanna make sure I understand what I'm doing.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Jambo51 said:

Ok, this all makes sense. Thank you. Just wondering, but what would happen if I didn't fill in the "empty" voices with a square instrument?

Also, on a slightly different subject, I ported a couple of songs from RSE to FR (I made a new voice group for each), and they both sounded great in sappy, but when I tested them in-game one of the songs was missing its first track as it played. It played fine before I inserted the second song/voicegroup. Any idea what could have gone wrong?

redriders180 said:
I didn't ask the original question, but I'd like to ask a follow-up question. I know pretty much nothing about music hacking, and I recently got a copy of the voicegroup with every instrument in it from the resources thread. But what confuses me is WHY Gamefreak didn't just make one voicegroup with all instruments in the first place? Additionally, with a voice group with all instruments, does that mean I could insert basically any songs in my ROM, within reason? It just seems too good to be true, and I wanna make sure I understand what I'm doing.

This is exactly why I asked my original question in the first place. Why have all the different voicegroups if you can just have one with all? As you say, it just seems too easy and too good to be true.

Pinta77

I need a script for pokemon ruby that will force the player to hop on the mach bike. Anyone know how to do that?

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
For this, you must change the flying data and healing locations. I have not had too much success with this, but here is a tutorial on the subject. Good luck!
That tutorial didn't really help me much. I just need to change the coordinates at which the player spawns and the message that plays when the player spawns. I have changed the map that the player spawns at, so currently it spawns in the player's room (the correct map) but in the position where he would spawn at the first floor of his house, and it plays the text that Mom says after you spawn. Something along the lines of "Mom: Here, let me restore your Pokemon to full health. Good luck and take care sweetie." or whatever. I just want it to say, "That was a close one [player], get your head in the game!" or something like that, whatever. I don't know where the pointer to the text is, nor can I figure out where the coordinates are set.

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2012
Hi,

Sorry for the newbish question, but I'm quite new at pokemon modding, and I can't find it.

Is there a program allowing you to modify the NPC's text and the trades / to add NPC for Black and White ?
As I'm a beginner at this I'd be very interested in it since I don't know anything about scripting and I didn't even found how to visualize them, lol :p

Sorry for my english. Have a nice day,

AAC.

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
2. In NSE, go to Option > Bookmarks > View Bookmarks. Then, click the + next to "Landscape" Click "Grass", then "Open". You can now use NSE to edit the grass :)

3. Begin by setting variable 0x8004 to either 0x8D or 0x8E. Then set variable 0x8005 for the X-Coordinate, and variable 0x8006 for the Y-coordinate. The use special 0x18B. Special 0x18C will make the picture go away.

2)3) Thanks, I cleared.

Now I have a Map Script problem.

4) I create a map script to show the ship started to gone. For example:

When I get in the ship, the map script is activate, for my map script:( I used the setvar 0x5000 0x1 for this map script before.

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @talk
setvar 0x5000 0x0002
warpmuted 0x1 0x7 0xFF 0x20 0x0F
release
end

I need to warpmuted to a dock and load the map script to show the ship is gone. For my map script:

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @script
applymovement 0xFF @hide
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x1 @gone
waitmovement 0x0
setvar 0x5000 0x3
warpmuted 0x1 0x4 0xFF 0x20 0x07
release
end
#org @hide
#raw 0x60
#raw 0xFE
#org @ride
#raw 0xA
#raw 0xA
#raw 0xA
#raw 0xA
#raw 0xA
#raw 0xA
#raw 0xA
#raw 0xA
#raw 0xFE

The person event no.1 is for the ship. Then I warpmuted back inside the it appeared the text box and unknown word. I pressed A button it dissapeared and appeared and repeat and repeat. For example:

attachment.php

How to fix this problem?

EDIT: I already setvar, the map script flag inside the ship is 5000 and value is 0001 and at the dock value is 0002.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.:(

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
It played fine before I inserted the second song/voicegroup. Any idea what could have gone wrong?

Not really, sorry.

This is exactly why I asked my original question in the first place. Why have all the different voicegroups if you can just have one with all? As you say, it just seems too easy and too good to be true.

The answer is simple enough. Direct Instruments in the Gen 3 ROMs have effects which can be applied to them. Examples of such effects are fade (how quickly the note fades to 0) or how loud the original sample is played at.

They wanted to vary these effects, evidently without having to use differing slots for the varying effects, so they put in more than 1 VG.

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2013
I have replaced the script (the whole thing) where Prof. Oak says '"OAK: Now, [player].\pInside those ..." but now I can't activate the script where you choose your starter. How do i fix this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2022
I didn't want to look through 500+ pages to search for my answer, and if there's the answer for my question, please point me to it.
How do you make it for a specific pokemon trainer to have his/her own battle music?(as in a battle music different from other trainers, like the gym leaders and the champion.)
I will include as much info as I can; I have Pokemon Fire Red and I use PKSV.(just in case if different battle music requires scripting) By using Sappy, I found the Pokemon R/S/E gym leader battle music inside of Pokemon Fire Red, and I wish to use that as the battle music for my character, but I don't know how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back