• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Garnet Version~

What type of menù/ alternate screen would fit Garnet better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
lots of love going for frilzard :)))

Anyway, I'm still anxiously looking forward to this game's completion :)

It's one of the few games that I'm confident will get something done :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
Please launch full game
I wanna play

I hope your pokemon sprites move, like emerald, crystal, platinum

Last edited:

mulch_ar

What should I type here?
Years
What happened to Dodeed and Toofin? To be honest, I prefer the old ones to these. And I can't really tell what Finvore is, a shark? What's with the big eyes? But anyway, nice sprites. I'm still hoping to see Dodeed to be included in the game (Such a big Dodeed fan -,-)

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
Although good spriting, these designs are worse than the others. Dodeed was beautifully crafted into a Dodo bird evolution line which is very very original. The canon is to stick to reptilian creatures, and seeing as the Dodo was a prehistoric bird, it falls into that category barely. Now Inood just doesn't stick the canon at all and looks rather unpleasent. Dodeed was better sprited than this too.

Frilzard is the only actual decent one out of this bunch. It's very nicely sprited and the design is good, too. But where's the frill? The old one HAD a frill, but this one doesn't, and yet the name says it does. :/

Finvore looks like Gible. It really does. Toofin doesn't. :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 14, 2013
I wish i could speak italian sometimes, especially when i have to explain choices... XD
Well, you see.
It was as hard as hell for us to change the starters. We all do prefer the older ones. But just look at something different than concepts and sprites.
They were two fast starters (Dodeed and Frilzard) and a medium (Toofin, which was rather fast iself again) starter which is impossible to keep in a pokémon game, for stats and tradition.
We couldn't make Dodeed a slow starter because its evolutive line (the pursuit pokémon cannot be slow), then we couldn't make Frilzard slow or medium because it is fast itself, by being a lizard and then an excellent runner.
Toofin and its evo couldn't have become slow anyhow because of the design.

Please, i know why you complain the previous trio, but it couldn't be correct anyhow.
So we had to change...
You may know that the older three pokémons are indeed starters from three different fakedex projects from our spriters. So they're balanced following this rule with they're companions but not one each other.

Well, that's it more or less. Now, also, there are two bipeds and one quadrupedal animals, so they're balanced as the official ones. ^ ^

There are many things to look at when making a pokédex and starters are as far the most difficult to choose. No matter how much you good are at spriting or making concepts... you have to mind at many other things such as gameplay, movesets, interaction, tradition too!

Try to watch them as they're the only true starters of the dex... i wish them to be loved just as much as the older were... D:

wingman11

Solo Runner
Years
startersgarnet.png

Let me introduce you the new starters of Garnet!
They need love. So much love. XD

Inood - the loyalty pokémon (grass)
Frilzard - the frill pokémon (fire)
Finovre - the voracious pokémon (water)
First: *gives love to them all* Very good job on these starter sprites! They're all well done.

Despite all of the negativity, I quite enjoy these new starters. First of all, Inood looks to be very interesting. It's true that it was something new as a grass bird, but it's also new as a grass dog; there are no official Grass type dogs, just as there are no 'true' Grass type birds. (I'm not counting Tropius; it's Flying type, but not really a bird.)

Frilzard is the same, I expect; it's probably the sprite angle hiding the frill from us, just as it hides it's maliciously evil toothy grin(my favorite part of Frilzard). This guy's my favorite so far; perhaps because he reminds me of Charmander. I kinda wish that Nintendo would've come up with something like this instead of Pokabu/Tepig.

Finvore has the potential to become pretty cool, though right now, it's kinda awkward looking. It partially reminds me of Mijumaru/Oshawott(I really hate this English name...) - an odd looking starter with an amazing final evolution stage. (Of course, this is speculation. I have no idea what Finvore's final stage will be.)

Either way it goes, I'm pretty satisfied with these guys. Seeing them appear later in the game would be interesting, but I don't really care whether they do or don't.

Also, I agree with the sentiments of the person above. An updated FakeDex would be nice to see soon.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
I wish i could speak italian sometimes, especially when i have to explain choices... XD
Well, you see.
It was as hard as hell for us to change the starters. We all do prefer the older ones. But just look at something different than concepts and sprites.
They were two fast starters (Dodeed and Frilzard) and a medium (Toofin, which was rather fast iself again) starter which is impossible to keep in a pokémon game, for stats and tradition.
We couldn't make Dodeed a slow starter because its evolutive line (the pursuit pokémon cannot be slow), then we couldn't make Frilzard slow or medium because it is fast itself, by being a lizard and then an excellent runner.
Toofin and its evo couldn't have become slow anyhow because of the design.

Please, i know why you complain the previous trio, but it couldn't be correct anyhow.
So we had to change...
You may know that the older three pokémons are indeed starters from three different fakedex projects from our spriters. So they're balanced following this rule with they're companions but not one each other.

Well, that's it more or less. Now, also, there are two bipeds and one quadrupedal animals, so they're balanced as the official ones. ^ ^

There are many things to look at when making a pokédex and starters are as far the most difficult to choose. No matter how much you good are at spriting or making concepts... you have to mind at many other things such as gameplay, movesets, interaction, tradition too!

Try to watch them as they're the only true starters of the dex... i wish them to be loved just as much as the older were... D:

I'm learning italian. I know a little bit, probably enough to make it through a rough day in Italy. ^_^

Anyway, I understand what you mean. I'm all for it, I just didn't understand why you changed them at first and was voicing my opinion because I didn't know. But now that I do know your reasons, I am right behind you and give much love to the new starters! I can't wait to see their evos. ^_^

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Oh, thanks to everyone. XD
I'm sorry if i sounded so rude yesterday, it was both an unnerving day and i had to repeat motivation in various places, so i got very annoyed. XD
Thanks for being that comprehensive, i hope these new starters to become more and more loved in the future. :3

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
The fire and grass ones look gud, the water one does look too close to gilbe (or whatever). and it's eyebrow looks weird.

what did the old starters look like?

Yono

Creepin' and Crawlin'
Years
Although the old starters were good, I respect your choices for the new starters. :)

Still can't wait to play it!

Liraxus

Local Douchebag
Years
startersgarnet.png

Meh, i think Dodeed was better.

Omn

Moogle King
Years
After looking at them more and more I think they look really cool and i like them just as much as the old ones. Even though most people think this ones aren't as good as the old ones. There is a certain style to these that just make it unique to your game. If the sprites for all your new pokemon(Fakemon) were in the same style i think that would give your game a different look from the other ones. Anyway hope do you really good on the game and I hope my comment was useful in some way.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
startersgarnet.png

I don't like them. Not because it's a different style, even though now they are, everything will have to be changed or not fit, but because they just don't look as good. The palettes are less colourful, which doesn't fit with the games tiles or trainer sprites. There is significantly less detail in the eyes, to such an extent that on Finvore you can't even tell where he's looking. And finally, they're just less unique. Finvore looks very similar to Gible, Inood like some others I can't think of and Dirzlard just plain strange. It's eyes look like they are attached at the edges to the side of its head!

Don't take this terribly badly, but it looks as if you've taken a step back.

DigimonMaster

Lurkermon
Years
I'm very sorry to say that I too think that the game has taken a loss with the change in starters. When I first discovered this game while surfing the forum it was the unique and interesting starter designs that drew me in. The shading/lighting seems a bit better done on these newer ones but surely there must have been a way to make the mechanics work for the original designs? If your going to keep the current lineup then I would suggest re-positioning Frilzard's head to better see that mischievous toothy grin. Also his eyes seem a little too far off to the side now, I know some lizards like chameleons have eyes that bug out like that but I think it takes away from the design. Inood... I'm not sure what to suggest for him, he seems just... Bland. There's no expression on his face, he needs personality. Also you may want to recolor the nose to a lighter shade, maybe more pink or go with a black like a actual dog nose, right now he kind of has a Rudolf thing going on and it's rather distracting. And Finvore, again the eyes I think need re-positioned they seem kind of awkwardly placed right now, though that just may be because of the way he's standing, I think he would either work better as a quadruped or he needs to have a neck that allows him to face forward. I get that he's supposed to be sharklike but his current design just looks off.
Please keep in mind none of this is meant harshly, I am simply trying to offer constructive criticism.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
^ Ah, lighting is better on new starters. but I might have to agree with the others, the older starters look better. I don't care for either version of the fire one, but the grass bird and the old shark look really original.

ah well, what's done is done. time to move on.

The new ones look good, but the old one looked a bit better. imo.

Last edited:

evulpsyduck

Pokemon Eternal Darkness
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2016
I like the starters! I think they are really cute and professional in my opinion. Cant wait to play this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back