• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen My name's ???.

MattyJ

Serial Procrastinator
Years
Man, all my life I thought I was the only one who ever did this! Thank goodness it's not just me! Haha

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I love how there's so many others than just me xD I now put in Silver when I play HeartGold but as a child I picked ??? But then wondered how his name would be that if it has to be said, sort of hard to say ??? Unless you say question mark three times xD

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Hahaha. I did this too. But at the last second I realized that It's your chance to name him. So I restarted the game from my save point and continued my adventure and named him something else. It's because I love to give my rivals name xD

Brizz

TM87
Years
LMAO thank God I'm not the only one who called him ???. Like most of the others here, I though that I was the only one who did that.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
Wow. Though I didn't name my rival ???, I remember thinking that was his actual name. But I thought a little more about it, and came up with Silver as the name, as I thought you were supposed to guess his name right, and the version was Silver. It is really interesting how a lot of people thought similarly though on how is name is ???.

Years
My sister told me that you had name him ???, and eventually they would figure out what his name is during the game. I listened to her during my first playthrough of Silver. The only reason I listened to her was because she said her cousin told her it. After I got the walkthrough for Silver, I saw she was full crape.

Years
Was I the only one to take this seriously, and when the policeman asked what the rival said his name was, put those three question marks? In Silver, I did just that - it was a brilliant way to name one's rival, but he gave his name as ??? so I named him ???.

I might still do that today just for the lulz but back then I was a stupid kid. I thought that was his name! I laugh at myself sometimes but really, this one is GOLD xD (pun intended!)

I did that when I played it for the first time. I couldn't take a hint.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Yay! Now we know our mistake is common! Nice to know we're all equally stupid. :)

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
Years
I never did, but I can't remember what I did name him. I was so confused that he said his name was ???, but I just figured it meant he didn't know his own name.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
I did it when i was like 4 back when i first bought Gold version then i turned about 7 and just used random names like Joseph, Jay, Kevin, Brandon ect.

I recently found out like 3 years ago that his name is "Silver" and the main characters name is "Gold" or "Jimmy"

Years
Oh my gosh, when I first played the game (and was like 6 years old) I named the rival "???" xD However, those games in which I did that with have had their batteries dry up and after I learned from the mistake of "??? Would like to battle!", I just named him "Rival".

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I didn't exactly do this myself, but I witnessed my brother doing it. His reasonings were the same as the majority of you above, though at the time I made fun of him for doing it. And when I finally got my Silver game, I named him Gary for nostalgic reasons. Today I call him Paul. =3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Funnily enough I cannot remember! I thiiiinkkkk I went with Silver though. I wanted to be classic and Silver is certainly a classic name.

Back