• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your goals?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
In game play in general. Do you play to catch them all? Do you intend to go beyond in game play?

Personally I have caught them all. My goal is to win regionals next year then nationals and eventually win it all at World

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
When I played my Crystal version, I had over 200+ of the 251 Pokémon at that time. Some needed to be traded from other games or traded to evolve but I was so close until the game dried up and erased everything. Just my bad luck.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
My goal is to beat the Elite 4. It fills me with a false sense of pride, making me feel like I'm the greatest trainer in the world. And that's a pretty darn cool feeling.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
My goals are always: Get my team, beat the gyms and beat the Elite Four. While at the same time catching every wild Pokémon I don't have. Post-Game I catch every legendary possible, EV Train and dilly-dally with the Battle Tower/PWT.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
After finishing the story and post game events on Diamond and Pearl, I'm trying to do the same with Platinum, HG and SS as well as Black/2 and White/2 ... Hopefully I can get them all done before X & Y are released. Then on those games (X & Y) I'll attempt to complete the Dex and make a team for battling. Might open a trade shop as well to help out others once I get a good amount of Pokemon, might even stage battles where the challenger fights for a chance to win one of my offered prized Pokemon! ;P

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I play to get through the story, fill my Pokedex and raise the perfect team of deathbringers. The usual, really.

Years
I usually just beat the E4 and then catch all the legendaries possible in a game.

On Black 2 I've started playing the PWT and plan to beat each category of it. Then maybe try and win a few random matchups online and give the Battle Subway a try.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Beating the main game, then probably catching the Pokemons that I want for several reasons, either because they are good, looks great, or just because I want them for no reason....Of course, I still train them even if some of them are rather underpowered for the majority.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
In Diamond version, I had all the goals. All of them.
1. Completed National Dex of 493
2. Filled up my boxes with a Sandshrew collection of 70 obtained from the GTS. Guaranteed lottery prizes.
3. Had 999:59 time.

In all my other games, I have, like, no goals, or I give up on them.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I have different goals on each game usually! For Kanto I just wanted to complete the Pokédex, HGSS I spend doing the Bug Catching Contest, Safari Zone and most importantly the Pokéathlon, for Hoenn and Unova it was just completing the game with a good team, and Sinnoh was another completion game. Overall I just like collecting the things I'm fond of and training them to be great, usually alongside completing the game/dex, so I don't get bored often with the games haha.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I've never had "catch 'em all" in the broadest sense as a goal. I do catch lots of stuff in the games, just because I like to try everything out and I like to play the games working out of a pool of good pokemon, rather than just using a single team. But I don't go out of my way to catch post-game stuff (other than the stuff that interests me) or trade or any of that just to complete the dex.

I guess my overarching goal is to put together a pool of the best possible versions of whichever pokemon appeal to me most, then, out of that pool, to put together the best possible team for whatever I'm doing at that moment. I spend a lot of my time hunting for the right pokemon (Synchronize is a blessing - at least it's much easier to get the nature I want than it used to be), then sorting out good movesets for them, then assembling teams out of them, so I can make it through the next stage of the game easily (in spite of the fact that I'm pretty much always underleveled), and find and catch and train some more pokemon.

I don't really have a goal of beating the game, or even of beating the E4, really. I just make my way through the world and eventually end up there.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Well I've always wanted to complete the entire Pokedex but they keep making new generations so I always give up. I'm gonna use X though to acquire every Pokemon before generation 7 is released.

((yes it will take me that long))

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
@Gym Leader Rozu: Epic reply is epic.

My goal is to do everything possible in the game excluding Battle Frontier/PWT because I'm lazy and those require breeding, RNG or cheating.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
My goal is usually to make as nice a team as possible. And to relive the story of the game, actually. My teams usually don't consist of the strongest pokémon, or most popular. I'm a bit impatient when it comes to grinding and training though, so I tend to avoid having several slow-growing pokémon on the team evenso. Some sort of mix, where two pokémon most often don't share a typing, and where I feel like I can imagine myself being the protagonist and having these pokémon on a nice team - that's what I want. That's my goal, I guess ^^ This also means that I don't finish every playthrough I start.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2016
To succeed with the Pokemon I like.

I don't care about types or EVs or stats.

I just give my Pokemon love, and my games have always been fun for me. :)

Years
I used to want to catch 'em all, but since the number of Pokemon has amassed to over 600, now I just think about completing the game. (which, in itself, is a vague term by Pokemon standards - I mean placing in the Hall of Fame) Recently I've been trying to get back into the "catch 'em all" mentality, but it's pretty hard to do so.

Back